Topic of the Week: Games you'd like to fix

I am pretty much in the “no house rules” camp. I don’t judge anyone playing a game in a way that is fun for them, but then they aren’t actually playing that game anymore. The most I have gone outside the bounds is I typically do not destroy cards in a legacy game, just remove them from the game. It probably doesn’t make any difference in Pandemic Legacy games, but in Betrayal Legacy, you have a playable game once the campaign is finished, and I kind of like the idea of having those cards still available to play with.

As for fixes, I wish Restoration Games would go back and fix the wording on some of their Unmatched cards, incorporating the terminology and errata they have made in the intervening years and sell a correction pack.

Then I would like them to redesign the Buffy set to make the fighters better in 1v1 matchups, as they have said that they really designed that set with 2v2 in mind, and it shows. Also make a better balanced King Arthur. The officially unofficial fix is to take his Boost card back into hand if it is canceled, but a full redesign to make him a more consistent fighter would be welcome.

4 Likes

I’ve never deliberately tried to fix a game, but we do play with house rules from time to time.

Reading rulebooks is hard…

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve ever houseruled (apart from RPGs) on purpose but I have played with wrong rules for a long time before…

3 Likes

So is that “accidental houserules” … we might have some of those :wink: But we wouldn’t know. After all reading rulebooks is definitely hard.

2 Likes

I strongly disagree. Reading rulebooks is easy.

Comprehending them, on the other hand…

4 Likes

Key strategy to nullify the Vagabond: never ever craft the Root Tea, unless if you’re about to win. And then keeping the Vagabond in check is a lot easier. The problem is when only one faction does.

4 Likes

Imo: one measure of quality of a game is whether it’s still good when you accidentally play it wrong. Startups I’m looking at you.

3 Likes

On Apple fitness one of the dance instructors says if you mess up a move these are called “improvised solos” or some other phrase which conveys the artfulness in bungling and don’t get too down about it.

5 Likes

Battlestar Galactica needs a new edition which includes all or most expansions and streamlines the game more in my opinion. It is kinda bloated.

2 Likes

Isn’t that what Unfathomable was supposed to be? Maybe minus the expansions. I never played BSG.

3 Likes

Unfathomable with an Aliens setting would be quite something… :thinking:

2 Likes

I remember that game, I heard about it on the forum here. But I really really liked the BSG theme, the cards and characters were such a good fit for the game. So many moments of the show immortalized in the board game.

2 Likes

Not wanting to be rude to Unfathomable, which is an OK game in its own right, but my goodness the FFG “Cthulhu” theme feels worn to old-parchment thinness by now.

7 Likes

Fortune and Glory could do with separate Danger/Cliffhanger card decks for the different terrain types, so you don’t find quicksand or nightclubs in the Antarctic. Luckily, its “roll and move” issue is removed by its own fixed-move variant.

An associated topic, perhaps: Fortune & Glory is a game I’d love to see reskinned to a pulp space format, with a 1930s style Larry “Buster” Crabbe Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers vibe.

4 Likes

Ooh, yes. I wasn’t grabbed by our forum game but I’m not really sure why—this kind of Indyesque shenanigans should be right up my alley.

4 Likes

I think we should give it another try, see if you like it more a second time :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Happy to give it a shot!

3 Likes

Hmm, yes I should have time to run another game here in a week or two, certainly by the end of January. If anyone is interested in playing, please let me know, either in comments here, in the recruitment thread (which I will repost to nearer the time when ready to start the game) or by direct message. I’m thinking another cooperative game with 3 to 5 players against the Mob or the Crimson Hand cult this time rather than facing the Axis again, as the cooperative game is easier to run by forum than a competitive or team game

As a reminder, here is a link to the first PBF game recruitment topic and the first PBF game in full to see how it plays and get links to the game rules if needed.

4 Likes

Fortune and Glory is right at the top of my list to purchase when the reissue comes out next year (“towards the end of Q1 2024” according to a recent video update).

And yes, sorting the cards into “city” and “wilderness” piles could help. Will be interesting to see if they change anything for the reissue.

6 Likes

Did said video update mention A Touch of Evil? 'Cos there are several bits for that that surface occasionally at only slightly eyewatering prices…

4 Likes