The resurrected miniatures painting and showing off thread

Nice smooth airbrush work, and some neat and restrained edge work afterwards too by the looks of it.

If you want constructive feedback then on your next one you could aim for the great dark shadows and mid red that you have on the lower half of the model, but use the mid red as the shadow for the top half and work to a really bright fire red highlight to focus the attention on the key bits up top. You already have a nice bright face doing a lot of that work, and it could tie that together and really show off the techniques you’re nailing.

Apologies if I’m out of line with the ideas, as you’ve done a great job already and I’m no expert! Unsolicited suggestions aren’t always the best idea so fingers crossed the right intent comes across! :grin:

4 Likes

No offence taken at all and I’m generally up for helpful feedback. Certainly everyone on this forum I’d welcome constructive criticism from.

Tbh I’ve been working on upping contrast in my painting recently. It’s been the thing I think most holding me back. I like what you’re saying but I’m not sure I have the skills to do that and get the contrast up enough to look good. Maybe if I’d gone for a cold/warm contrast as well as light/dark it would be more feasible to overall lighten the top? In general I’d like to get to a point where I could do overall lighting effects for directional and environmental lights but I may not be willing to invest the time and brain power to get there.

2 Likes

If you do risk going brighter and brighter on a model and worry it’s gone to far (or desaturated it too much) you can always glaze back in some nice saturated midtone. There’s no experiment that you can’t learn from while fixing (and often the result ends up even better from the extra back and forth). It looks to me like you’re doing all the right things with real intention, so keep up the good work and keep sharing to motivate us all to improve too :grin:.

3 Likes

A little bit of further progress on those terrain pieces I am working on…

Going to do a quick zenithal white tonight, and then it will be “done” for the near future.

8 Likes

I think this is mostly done until I decide to fully paint it…

9 Likes

3yo paints frozen MK2

Fewer white spots, no head wound, and a discussion about how she absolutely had to match the box art, and I wasn’t allowed to suggest otherwise. How long until she’s painting infinity then? :joy:

7 Likes

Finished (well… “Finished”) another two buildings.

5 Likes

The Warsenal haqqislam terrain is so nice. I’m a little jealous you can buy it without import charges. When I get my board done I may treat myself to a couple as centre pieces. Are you going to pick out any details?

1 Like

Yes.

Eventually.

For now I am just trying to clear my backlog of stuff I own but haven’t assembled.

1 Like

Great to see everyone’s work. Inspirational. Here’s a couple of things I’ve been working on.

These are 15mm, so quite small. The K’Kree are ancient Martian Metal figures what I bought 39 years ago, but only just got around to painting this year. Yay, I win the procrastination award on the internet today!

12 Likes

Been busy with more Napoleonic French, a pair of officers and some Chasseurs a Cheval, before branching out into some Dark Age British. All 18mm scale

11 Likes

The British ones look like Dwarves to me, probably just due to the scale. The others have horses to set my expectations of proportions.

3 Likes

More fun with space marines! Got it finished. Overall pleased with the result but will definitely need to do some more in this style to get practice on all the new stuff that’s difficult for me. Fine lines in fine lines and making sure they’re straight and sharp consistently is the challenge here.

Tutorial one and Mainly this one were what I copied from but colours were paints I had rather than those mentioned.

10 Likes

Nice saturation on the blue :grin:
There’s quite a few nice weathering touches there too.

2 Likes

Some cool cultist minis by Meridian Miniatures.

(Go check out Andrew’s latest KS for a wonderful collection of Hieronymus Bosch inspired figures)

10 Likes

Finished and sealed these bastards.

They’re fine. But gosh they sat on my desk for a month because I just didn’t want to paint them.

But done. And with this I am completely finished with Journeys in Middle-Earth, and according to FFG they aren’t making more. Huzzah! Maybe we can play through one of the other campaigns (we finished the first) after we are done with Descent.

Next up: two lances and one star of Battlemechs (the new Alpha Strike box set). I am painting them all as House Arano Royal Guard (red and gold). I even have decals! I am excited about it… and after that a few Legion units.

7 Likes

Next marine following Infernal Brush tips from youtube. Some improvements compared to the last one so I’m happy with that although there is still a ton of practice needed on these fine lines. Didn’t notice the mess up on the left leg until I put too much varnish on to correct it. Deciding on which chapter to do next. Any suggestions?

9 Likes

Got the first 3 minis for a new Haqqislam force done. Basic Ghulam to begin with. Happy with these. Next will be a sekban heavy rocket launcher

9 Likes

Between March 10th and yesterday I painted up 14 House Arano/Aurigan Coalition and 1 Clan Wolf Battlemechs.

Torrent of pictures to follow…

Standard Steel → Dark Aluminum → Chrome for new shiny mechs.

Next was the golds, using the new (and exciting!) method of putting Contrast Paints over the drybrushed metals. I couldn’t remember if I got this effect with Skeleton Horde or Aggros Dunes initially… the shoulders on that Atlas are in Skeleton Horde, the skull in Aggros.

It was Aggros. Anyway. I like the effect this gives… so much so, in fact, that I decided to change my next step…

On the left is a Highlander I painted last time, using the contrast paints for the golds but then standard paints for the non-metallics… and on the right is my new method of using a red contrast paint over the metallic underpining colours.

I’m actually really happy with how the mechs look with the new way. So, hurray for new methods!

About halfway done, and I got a very special delivery…

New movement dice! Previously I used crayons to fill in the text, but it’s a pain in the butt… so this time I tried using paint. And hey, it works! It’s not quite as clean, but it’s close… close enough for jazz!

Anyway, moving forward.

Reds and golds done, starting to do detail work (cockpits and weapons, in this case).

Basing started…

Cockpits and weapons done.

I still hate doing decals, but they look pretty sharp when they’re done, so whatever. I will suffer through.

And done!

I’m now putting decals on the Clan Wolf mechs I have (about 100), and then decals on the House Steiner mechs I have (150-ish), and then I’m done!

… until the new Kickstarter ships. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Very nifty! I’ve never found the Atlas “skullface” very convincing in illustrations, but this brings it out nicely.

1 Like