The resurrected miniatures painting and showing off thread

I thought I’d be clever by stocking up on a new paint set before the lockdown comes in.

Then realised one of the things isn’t in stock yet so it’s scheduled to be shipped on Thursday.

Lockdown comes in on Wednesday.

I am stupid.

2 Likes

Don’t be hard on yourself. You couldn’t have known.

2 Likes

We’ve known for a few days - I ordered specifically for this reason! The media leaks the details days to hours before the official announcement. It’s just one of the many injustices.

2 Likes

I’m sure your stuff will get posted out fine :slight_smile: don’t stress!

I’ve had a productive day…

6 Likes

Phew. I need a break!

5 Likes

Another one done :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I apologize for it not being painting, but this forum is one of the few places where I have folks that may appreciate this. I ordered a custom mask, and may have achieved Peak Nerd:

11 Likes

Excellent mask. Also excellent tesselation skills in your shelves. Got to make room for more games by using every cubic centimetre :slight_smile: .

1 Like

After an assignment based hiatus I painted a remote. Happy with this ine in many ways, been learning some new techniques which are bearing a bit of fruit.

Followed it up with an engineer and his Bot to fix up the remotes. Woop woop! It’s been nice to get painting again. Up next is a famous leader…

7 Likes

I’ve just bought a bunch of Scale 75 paints… does anyone know any tricks to puncturing the tops cleanly? The pressure differential keeps shooting some paint out when I puncture the hole!

The cleanest way I’ve worked out through trial and error is to take the lid off, place it on kitchen towel, puncture with a nail, place on top of the pot, then leave for a bit for the pressure to equalise before properly pressing the top onto the bottle. Even then half the time the pressure shoots a bit out the top (though not as much as if I had left the top on the bottle)!!!

I hear so much about how these paints need to be properly mixed or you waste all your medium that I’ve become exceedingly anxious about anything lost in the puncturing process! One or two small drops will be fine, right? I was tempted to mix before puncturing, but thought that would just leave more paint up near the top and make it even messier.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I think you could add this to the what are you wearing thread.

Definitely super cool mask, kudos for the idea.

1 Like

I’ve had the scalecolor set for a while and I think opened the last one just the other day so I’ve had chance to refine my method :slight_smile:

• Shake by hand
  • Vortex mixer
  • Shake by hand
  • Vortex mixer
  • Unscrew. Stand vertically on table. Pierce top with end of sculpting tool (see below - bottom end of left most tool.)
  • Wipe small amount of paint from tool on tissue
    d816bb04-2c96-4005-a6b1-9f9c5b55b0d8_1.e09289cab0ca75a35f0e4882198c2862

Then on subsequent uses just vortex briefly, or include a hand shake if it’s been stood for a while to get the layers moving.

3 Likes

Thanks! How many coats do you tend to use? I’ve been doing 3, which seems to be fine, but I keep seeing mentions of 5 or 6 coats! Take it those are exaggerations or for lighter colours?

2 Likes

WIP of my first ever attempt at layering. Thought feathers would be most forgiving since the light values contrast mixes with different feather colours anyway.

Still need to add the dark purple to the wing tips and dark green to the tail. Think I might use some blue ink to pick out some of the feather detailing and add another layer of highlights. But it’s alright!

And here’s the start of my first clothing layering (the hood/scarf thing)

Think I didn’t give enough area to the mids to cover the dark, and the highlights could have done with a thinner coat, but otherwise happy. It’s fine for table top! Will probably wash over this to blend the transitions a bit more. Ignore the light blue contrast paints, I’m going to be painting over those later.

Enjoying the Scale75 paints. Takes a lot of patience for all those layers, but maybe I’ll get faster as I go.

Throw your tips at me, it’s only going to get harder from here :grimacing:

7 Likes

Two or three is usually fine. The lighter ones can need more, but I usually work from dark to light and use that to my advantage with getting gradual transitions.
Some nice highlights can be had from mixing the golden skin and pale skin colours into your base colour if you have them.

Nice work so far though :slight_smile:
Don’t forget that they dry very different to how they look wet so it’s a learning process!

The matte finish doesn’t take washes very well, so I’d give it a squirt of gloss varnish before any washes to avoid staining too much

1 Like

Slow progress recently. I needed a break from infinity so I’ve got an ogre chef on the go. WIP.

12 Likes

I think I need greasy hand marks added to the apron and hat. I’m considering making a plasticine ogre hand and dipping it in wash or weathering pigment and wiping it on bits. This might be ridiculous.

8 Likes

So, this is why I like it when I make time to paint. It presents problems, but they are ridiculous problems that can definitely be solved, which makes them a nice change of pace from the actual problems of the world. I know that coming up with a spectrum of ways that I would approach this problem is going to occupy a fair amount of my headspace, which is really pretty wonderful. I’ll let you know if I come up with any magic bullets.

3 Likes

I may steal “Ogre Chef on the Go” as a children’s book title, or hypothetical dating profile subheading.

4 Likes

I’d try using a sponge perhaps?

2 Likes