The most beautiful edition of a game

I’m actually a little surprised to see you have kept all 3. I have a collection much larger than yours (I’m pretty sure) and even I was thinking I only needed Mexica (though I have none of them).

1 Like

:thinking:

The negotiation phase would be the trickiest bit, I think. It could be doable if everyone got a fixed number of offer and negotiation posts though…

Edit: or a collaborative online document, maybe.

4 Likes

I don’t think I need all of them, but I do love the three. I will probably gonna reconsider that with the new arrivals coming soon. I will probably keep Tikal if I have the choice - the tent placement is just too good, plus the advance variant eliminates the random tile draw. Mexica is too similar to El Grande. I need more plays of Cuzco

Now I’m thinking about Renature - very similar to Mexica but more cutthroat. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

One day I’ll probably cave and shell out the cash for the nice version of Tikal.

I’d say the biggest difference is between Mexica and the other two. It’s somewhat simplified/stripped down and doesn’t have a scoring phase where each player takes actions for scoring (not an improvement or otherwise, just different).

3 Likes

UKGE 2021 :ok_hand:

Back to the topic!

Acquire 3M edition

Schmidt 1993

Avalon Hill 1995 - the companies in this edition has special abilities

Avalon Hill 1999

Avalon Hill 2008

Avalon Hill 2016 - this one had a big change in gameplay and the board. Haven’t tried it yet, but I don’t like the sound of it.

I don’t mind the 2008 edition, but it’s fiddly to use with the thin cardboard. The grids from the 1999 and the 3M edition are nice and the plastic tiles are chunky, and they slot nicely on the grid board. I don’t bother with the paper money, I use poker chips. The 1999 is fancy, but comes in a big box. 3M is more compact and practical.

=======================

Battle Line: Medieval - if we strictly stick with the medieval theme: it comes in two editions, but the art are the same. The box cover though is nicer in the Roland’s Revenge edition (subjective opinion, ofc). The art on the cards is just super nice.

Top to bottom: GMT edition, Roland’s Revenge edition, cards from BL: Medieval.

Battle Line which is also from GMT

Schotten Totten from IELLO

I own and love Battle Line: Medieval from GMT (The Roland’s Revenge was very limited to 100 copies). I have also heard from people who prefer the zany Scottish theme of Schotten Totten, or the beige art of Antiquity Battle Line

6 Likes

I wonder if it’s possible to purchase just the fancy buildings from the reprints? Those look fantastic, but while I haven’t seen the new editions in person, I think I prefer the board/tile art of the originals (of which I have Tikal and Java). Those boards were always gorgeous, and I feel like the new art is not as detailed?

Edit: looks like I’m not alone in thinking that.

At least one person has made custom 3D pyramids for Tikal mostly using cardboard, but using magnets to keep everything stable. Clever!

I see that the Dice Tower also did a comparison video:

One of the things that highlights to me is that the new art changed the scale of the scenery (essentially saying the pyramids are smaller). I can conceive of that desire being a motivation to do the new art in the first place, iff it’s based on real-world data; but I still think the end result doesn’t measure up [pun slightly intended].

1 Like

I admire your curiosity but take it from someone who bought the deluxe edition.

The readability of the shinies is an issue but it’s not as big an issue as the card quality. Mine have started to Separate/deteriorate at the corners.

3 Likes

That’s such a shame. The regular cards seem fine after many plays.Poor decisions all round on the deluxe for some reason

1 Like

Bought it from eBay. Thanks, Benkyo! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Forgot to show my Japanese edition of Penguin Party.

The five suits - these penguins sure know how to party!

Now that the For Sale expansion is on Kickstarter. It’ll be nice to talk about this classic filler game!

So this is the Gryphon Games edition:

And this one is the 2015 IELLO edition - this is the one I currently have. The money consist of cardboard coins unlike IELLO’s 2020 edition, which is made of cards, I believe. The 2020 edition’s art is mostly the same with the property cards and the cheque cards.

Lastly, 2020 IELLO’s box cover and contents:

8 Likes

Had they made the cheque cards a standard card in the new Iello version I would get it.

Another game that I have the Gryphon version of because of card sizes.

1 Like

Those penguins know how to party!

2 Likes

I’m quite partial to the Korean Circus Flohcati image

I have no idea what they were thinking on that Grail Games one.

8 Likes

I REALLY like the top most pic, the Grail Games edition. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

It takes all sorts!

I can appreciate the art, I see what it is going for, I just don’t want to look at it.

2 Likes

Japanese Versions with Different Artwork | BoardGameGeek

Japanese edition of some games.

Royal Visit and Friday the 13th looks cool.

I think I’ll keep my copy of Friday the 13th. The art and the arcane writings on the cards looks cool. But the Japanese edition looks cleaner but remains charming.

5 Likes

That Royal Visit box is awesome!

2 Likes

I want that version of Friday 13th! Unfortunately not for £48.90…

3 Likes

The Oink version of Welcome to the Dungeon looks cool. Would love to see the components.

High Society is pretty rubbish compared to the Osprey version.

3 Likes

I now own Megawatts. The French edition of Power Grid. Same art. But the map is now France/Quebec. Which is a nice variation. But I didn’t know it exists until now.

4 Likes