The Crowdfunding Thread

Among other reasons, why I don’t live in Japan.

Mainly because I don’t speak Japanese, but I know they can drown in a glass of water over trivial stuff like that.

As my OH said from having worked with a Japanese colleague back in the UK: “the worst thing you could to her was putting ish at the end of any word, or even worse, for a meeting time”

4 Likes

I can’t quite believe it but I got notification that my Kemet parcel is on the way. WTF Matagot?

I am thinking they planned for an Essen Release and something went… right? Too right?

Whatever. I like it. Hopefully, I’ll also like the game.

6 Likes

Delivery! :clap:t2:

12 Likes

Ooh! Maybe mine will arrive soon!

4 Likes

Yeah, it is a lot. But then I remind myself I’ve just spent £300 on a metal box that makes my guitar sound cheap and nasty (in a very specific way) so…

5 Likes

I finished my taxes in just 2 sittings and as a reward I backed Blue Planet Recontact (a new release of an old RPG I played in the 90s)

2 Likes

I’m interested, but not at all in the system (obRoger: why wouldn’t I just run it in GURPS?). And I haven’t seen much sign of whether they’re fixing some of the setting problems; the primary writer is an oceanographer, and it shows when he writes about planetary systems. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I looked at that curiously, purely because I remember that advertised prominently in the 1998 FFG catalogue that came with TI2… I’m always surprised that anything from there is anything, because most of it isn’t. (“Hey, fellow cool kids, wanna play Mag-Blast? It’s a blast of a time!”)

1 Like

Canvas: Reflections expansion KS is up:

Includes mirrored cards, a new board with more spaces, and a new Gold bonus token which you get by matching it to an icon immediately to its left or right. Also more scoring cards, which looks like the quickest way to increase replayability a lot.

2 Likes

Seems like the core game only just arrived. Is the game any good?

It’s the done thing these days. Hit the expansion when the hype hits it’s peak, usually about a month after fulfillment.

2 Likes

Canvas is definitely going to be love or hate with most people :slight_smile:

I like it, but it’s a very simple symbol-matching game and if the core mechanic doesn’t grab you, you’ll think there’s barely enough there to call a full game.

On the other hand it’s not complicated enough to be intimidating for new players or non-gamers, it’s got AMAZING table presence, and my gf was happy all day that she got officially judged “Best At Art”. I think I like it a lot, it’s pretty unique and the component quality is brilliant.

3 Likes

I haven’t played an actual game of Canvas yet, just give through the motions as I read through the rulebook.

It doesn’t strike me as something that deserves two boxes in my collection (even if it hangs on the wall). If it fit in the base game box, I might consider it.

1 Like

That’s part of how they suckered me in :slight_smile: Not only does it hang on the wall as art instead of taking up shelf-space, they made the expansion box continue the same picture :

6 Likes

I’m not a huge fan. I feel like the replayability of a million goals is undermined by a lack of satisfactory honing. It’s too arbitrarily fun or wonky. Sometime the cards are good sometimes they’re rubbish with no rhyme or reason.

The thing is it matches in a lot of ways with Century (first one) and that is somehow more engaging even though it has zero variation in rules.

3 Likes

I played two games of Canvas, and found changing the Rule cards to be very interesting: the first one was with the suggested starter set of 4, which are very easy to meet. On her first go my partner achieved all 4 of them for some paintings.

Then we switched it around and took 4 advanced Rules, and it became much more like Calico: you can’t do everything, so at some point you have to decide which you’re going to drop and go after the rest. It’s possible to have rule cards that make another rule very difficult to do at the same time, so you’re trading perfection for “it doesn’t matter as long as I get more points than my opponent”.

But there’s a big difference in feel between the easier rules (relaxed, high success) and the harder ones (tight trading, compromises, panicked checking of the opponent’s progress).

3 Likes

Crash Octopus is been shipped and am lost for words

“The estimated time of shipment is 2 months in a normal status of things, but please be patient with it as we are now in a global logistical slow-down due to the pandemic. Please note that there is no tracking number for this shipment as we have opted for the most economic shipping option available to keep the shipping charges minimal.”

Anyone else in the same boat?

1 Like

I had to look up the game, just for the name of it. I remember reading about it after seeing some pictures. Looks like good fun, sounds like a boss from a Mega Man game.

It sounds like it literally is on a boat.

Tracking numbers are overrated.
They just make you anxious when it says “we could not deliver your package today” and you were home all day…

1 Like