The Crowdfunding Thread

Er… just in case you want to see what Slay the Spire is like before buying it?! :smiley:

5 Likes

Uh wut? Is this like the actual boardgame version ? Or just regular Slay the Spire? Edit: Oh never mind my reading skills. It says TTS.

3 Likes

I look forward to the future computer adaptation

10 Likes

Just noticed the Castles of Mad King Ludwig’s goal is just $5000. It fels satirical at that point.

8 Likes

Has anyone backed Oathsworn? I am dithering on the threshold…

4 Likes

We have it. It’s huge. Even looking at the comparisons on the NPI review doesn’t do it justice.

I would recommend not going with the miniatures unless you are adamant about painting. I suspect the standee version is just better, cheaper, takes up less space, and is otherwise exactly as good.

It’s the kind of game that Gloomhaven dreams it will grow up to become someday.

It’s not perfect, but it is very good. No complaints about our purchase.

5 Likes

Holy carp, that’s high praise!

Yeah, looking at the standee version as I already have SO MUCH PLASTIC to paint and I just know it wouldn’t get done.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s quite accurate though. I think they are trying to achieve different things. Gloomhaven is an attempt to do a heavy, resource management game as a coop that uses a quest setting to make that be more accessible. I think Oathsworn is doing something different. It seems like the more apt comparison is Kingdom Death Monster that isn’t a complete turd. I don’t think Gloomhaven is reaching for dramatic tension in the vein of Oathsworn and it’s not reaching for unified narrative. GH is also not looking for bleakness and relentlessness. Sure if you want more narrative, tense moments, highs and lows, dramatic fight backs then OS will be the better game for you. GH though is more on the make a plan, husband your resources and execute it with just enough adaptability when the null card messes with you.

4 Likes

Oathsworn’s box is about the size of Gloomhaven’s, that comparison I can currently make. Having not opened it yet, that is the only one.

But yes, standee. The minis appear to be nice (I didn’t get them) but they also come in two additional Gloomhaven sized boxes. A third if you want 3d terrain. No game needs to take up that much space.

5 Likes

Just backed my first KS of the year Helionox Chronicles.

I enjoy Helionox as a coop deci builder and this is a redesign to be a full solo/coop design rather than the adversarial design with a tacked on coop mode. The art on this version is a bit less consistent. Doesn’t seem too boobular but I’m sure it could be a bit better still in terms of the ‘sexy art’. First blush it doesn’t seem egregious enough to avoid over art but is there something I missed? I could be overly generous because I’m excited for the game play. Played Helionox Deluxe last week and was reminded how well it does the arc of deck building in a coop setting and adds a nice little bit of positioning/location stuff to make it a bit board gamey rather than ‘just’ a deck builder.

2 Likes

Saw the last of us Kickstarter. Really like the IP and the black and white aesthetic of the dark series.

Has anyone played the previous dark sector dark castle games?

I’ve played Dark Castle. I may have been playing it wrong, it was a multiplayer thing and someone else had the rules, but it felt like a series of random encounters that sapped your hit points until you either ran out or escaped.

I’m sure there’s more to it than that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I played a demo of the sci fi one. I’m 100% with @RogerBW on this one. I felt I lacked agency in what I could do.

1 Like

I have Dark Sector, and I back up what’s been said. I really liked it the first two times I played it then there was a steep drop in enjoyment for subsequent games. The lack of agency issue is real. It’s mainly just trying to mitigate being punched in the face repeatedly with increasing force. Too many instances of having to rely purely on luck and hoping that the events align with the unique items/dice attached to your characters. A bad shuffle can result in you being ripped to shreds before you’re even 1/4 through the deck.

3 Likes

I’ve decided to back the Cthulhu: Death May Die S3, with intentions of getting Unspeakable Box as an addon

3 Likes

I’m definitely backing DMD, but I think I’ve talked myself out of the unspeakable box. From what I hear, the episodes are so-so, and Dagon is a pain to play against (and I already have Yog). Lots of investigators tho, which would be cool. But there are lots of investigators in S3 as well.

3 Likes

Huh. So I had no idea this was currently running, and it has less than a day to go…

Cthulhu: Death May Die - Fear of the Unknown

Also, it says it’s “season 4”, but “season 3” doesn’t exist? Or is the new core box implicitly “season 3”? I guess that must be it, but the naming is quite confusing.

After my original purchase I really only wanted to get an extra set of dice and the “black goat” expansion, and they don’t seem to be reprinting the latter here, which is annoying. Maybe the new expansions are good, but… who knows?

I’m curious about “upgraded rules”… does anyone know whether those are purely the “modular” bits, or are there improvements which can be used with the original game as well?

And can the “season 4” expansion be used with the original game (sans modular bits), or do you really need the new core box for S4 to be useful?

“Today” probably isn’t enough time for me to assess anything. Do CMON tend to provide any post-kickstarter pledging/up-selling for successful campaigns?

3 Likes

The Kickstarter pledge is for Season 3 or an “all in” that includes Season 4. Season 4 and a handful of other products are available as add-ons.

I’m waiting for retail for Season 4; I’ll miss out on like 3 or 4 KS exclusive cards by doing so, but I’m okay with that. The base pledge by itself is definitely worthwhile in my book based on all of the stretch goals that will be included, likely being packaged into a new KS-exclusive product (probably called the Unknowable Box).

Copan is a game I played at UKGE, which I thought was pretty good :+1:

3 Likes

OK I have to mention this.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theshopofmanythings/ascendice-the-dopest-levitating-d20-dice-ever-created/
A magnetically levitated d20. It just sits there turning gently. (I mean, you can take it off and roll it, but why would you?)

8 Likes