The Crowdfunding Thread

Completely agree that the minis are fine, but the price is far above what I’m willing to pay for that kind of quality, especially for a game that will hit retail.

I’m very unlikely to back any game without some form of exclusive content, or a significant savings over retail.

I’ll probably look in at the end of the campaign, but there’s nothing so far that’s screaming “back now”. It’s also a game I can comfortably live without, even though I do t have the original.

Edit; I am curious if the success of this campaign, will impact the upcoming reimplantation of of Inis going to Kickstarter or not.

For reference, I first heard about it on SVWAG, it’s the same designer, but it’s a space game with the tentative title “Beyond the Gates”, which is all fantastic sounding to me.

1 Like

I just read that there is going to be a new Kickstarter for a Terraforming Mars Big Box which apparently does NOT included previously released content but instead a storage solution as well as upgraded 3D plastic tiles (source). The Kickstarter supposedly launches June 9th.

I’m not sure if I really need this, since all the content I currently have fits nicely inside the base game box, but I’ll take a look at it when it launches.

2 Likes

WHAT! I don’t know about this! Need to check

2 Likes

Ohhh boy. If you find details, can you tell me it’s awful? Please?

I only got the expansion at the start of our lockdown and I’ve been hankering for that for ages.

1 Like

If you find some info, I’d love to hear about it. I’ve tried searching a few times, and not been able to find much of anything. I think there was maybe one post about it, sometime last year? Maybe they wanted to get Kemet 2.0 out before talking about it much.

The 18DO Kickstarter launched today, and a preview of the 1822 campaign is online. I’m just getting into that niche, so I’ll probably pass on 18DO, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about 1822 and it seem very reasonably priced for what you get in the package. I have the opportunity to participate in a group order which might be a temptation too hard to resist.

Has anybody else the feeling that 18XX are more and more entering the mainstream over the last year or so? A lot of boardgame channels started talking about them (NPI, BGB, and even SUSD) and mass production runs on Kickstarter seem to do very well and become more frequent.

2 Likes

I was just about to post about 18DO!

I absolutely think 18xx is gaining more mainstream attention. I think the primary driver is that “euro” games are trending heavier and heavier and at some point you could look at a “heavy economic euro” game and a “18xx” game and think, “Huh… 18xx doesn’t seem so intimidating”.

I’ve been (relatively speaking) hyped about 18DO for a while. It ships with 2 modes: “Train game” and “Train game with beer production”.

The project went live while I was sleeping, I woke up and pledged… and when I get a break from work for a few moments, I’ll have a chance to actually read the campaign page!

2 Likes

How much is the base pledge? Obviously shipping to add

75 Eurobucks for 1 copy of the game

EDIT: I’m guessing the KS page is behind the times and the shipping to UK would be the “Rest of EU” rate of 32 spacebucks Euro – which is pretty steep if I’m honest

Too rich for me, although I have a feeling I’ll say that about most Kickstarter projects.

Is there much of a second hand market for 18xx (a buyer’s market I mean)

1 Like

Unfortunately, the secondhand market for 18xx games is fairly weak and, as such, it tends to be a “seller’s” market.

If you’re interested in a 18xx game and you don’t care which one (because you just don’t know the difference), 1846 is usually readily available anywhere you buy GMT games, but at the moment it’s between print-runs.

Additionally, for those of you of European orientation (or anywhere, I ordered from him and shipping to the US was extremely reasonable), Lonny Orgler’s games directly from Lonny’s site (https://lonny.at), is fairly reasonable. I think 18CZ is likely a great entrypoint for anybody.

And then, of course, if you are crafty, there are a number of games available free as print-and-play; of those, 1889 is often cited as the best entrypoint for the new-to-18xx-games-and-want-to-print-and-play category.

5 Likes

Awaken Realms’ standalone Mars horror expansion to Nemesis has launched:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/nemesis-lockdown/
Kickstarter seems to be buckling under the load at present, but I don’t think there are limited tiers so I can wait for that to change.

1 Like

If that’s not an interesting note about the popularity of boardgames on Kickstarter, I don’t know what is.

1 Like

UK is listed in the €17 euro postage estimate range. Still a chunk but much better than €32

1 Like

I guess if I ever back any 18xx game then it must be this. My father is from Dortmund and… I should go get a picture of the room full of trains in the basement… not that he is much of a boardgamer but he did play Die Crew and Azul with us for Christmas.

Edit: and there is beer!

3 Likes

Ahh, I missed that line. That’s nearly twice as good!

“The Introduction Game” mode is a very simplified "euro"y game, it looks like. Heavier still than Die Crew and Azul, but probably not exceedingly so.

But, I would say, it’s probably too much to pay if you’d only ever do the Introduction Game.

1 Like

Back it now and you got 6 months to ease him into it. You can start with TtR!

2 Likes

Well, atm he is spending all his spare time playing golf and watching Dortmund loose against Bayern… so I guess I won’t get much of a chance.

@pillbox I have been wanting an 18xx game in my collection for a while. One set in a town to which I have a connection and that has breweries in it… seems like the right one :slight_smile:

So this was a bit of an expensive click on this thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[pillbox drums his fingers together malevolently]

Welcome to the sickness…

“Ahh beer. The cause of and solution to all of life’s problems” – Homer Simpson

“Mmmmmm, beer…” – pillbox (usually after 5pm)

1 Like