The Cherry Debate

why does the pie have cherries on the cover :confounded::flushed::face_with_raised_eyebrow: cherries are the worst. i want pie! no cherries. still considering what to do. pie looks really good and so does the dice one.

2 Likes

This is the most horrifying thing I have ever read :open_mouth:

9 Likes

I bet you also like bananas :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Not as much as cherries, but I do indeed like bananas.

4 Likes

I like pineapple on my pizza. Wyvern can attest to that

4 Likes

Have you tried both sweet cherry pies and sour cherry pies? Iā€™ve found several times in the past that makes a big difference.

Not that you have to like any kind of cherry pie or cherries, of course.

2 Likes

Fresh cherries good. Any kind of cherry flavouring or preserved cherries very bad indeed.

4 Likes

Pineapple on pizza is far better than cherries. And pineapple on pizza is questionable.

There are 2 tastes/aromas I have hated since I was a child: cherries and bananas. Bananas got a little betterā€¦ but Iā€™ve had a Michelin Star Chef come out of the kitchen to talk to me about his desert and if I would consider eating it without the fresh banana and just the processed foamā€“I hate being complicated at restaurantsā€¦ and I was quite embarrased. But it is that difficult for me that I am willing to be complicated.

I ate the banana foam and it was not making me retch immediately. I would never have eaten anything cherry. Banana and cherry taste very similar to me: horrible. (No really, I have a hard time telling the tastes apart).

Iā€™ll eat everything elseā€“especially at a restaurantā€“though there are tastes (or texturesā€¦ looking at eggplants) that I will not seek out. Just cherries and bananasā€¦

About the cover of Pies: I am joking of course. The cover wonā€™t keep me from considering the game.

PS: if anyone else feels like sharing their thoughts on cherries please do soā€¦ Iā€™ll cherrypick the posts into a new thread then :wink:

4 Likes

Cherry yogurt is the GOAT of yogurts.

Donā€™t need to say any more.

2 Likes

Ah, I spotted a typo, that should read ā€œis THE GREATESTā€. (/Helpful)

4 Likes

Now donā€™t start the real debate.

Cherries are OK, I guess a diet of having ether glace cherries or the canned stuff in pies has made me lukewarm on them.

2 Likes

For me fresh cherries are an absolute treat that still genuinely excites me.

The thing about tastes being so personal is really awkward though. For me itā€™s celery I hate. And I mean hate it. Even the smell of someone biting in to it near me has me retching. I am so unfussy with food, I will eat and enjoy so many flavours but this one just gets me. What annoys me about this is the sheer number of people who try and convince me that Iā€™m wrong or try and feed it to me to change my mind. I now go over the top with my description of how much I dislike it to head off the nonsense. Canā€™t people just accept weā€™re all put together differently so have different things we like/dislike? No they canā€™t so I have all sorts of rigmarole to go through as a result.

Still, Iā€™m glad I like bananas, theyā€™re very handy for substitute breakfast after oversleeping

4 Likes

Out of interest, do you still hate it when its cooked to add flavour to a stew or something? Its a very different flavour/smell. I know my brother said he didnā€™t like it that way either but I donā€™t know how it could be an identifiable flavour at that point.

3 Likes

Cherries are my absolute favourite flavour in anything. I just love it all. Although ā€¦

Iā€™ve actually had both cherries and banana on a pizza (not at the same time). Banana was odd but fine (though slices rather than 1" tall pieces would have been less ridiculous). Cherries didnā€™t work at all as the juice soaked into the cheese and made it weird.

4 Likes

I have had similar experiences.

There are acquired tastes, and I learn. I used to really go out of my way to avoid cilantro until someone served me a fantastic salsa where the taste was just perfectā€¦ now Iā€™ll put tons of cilantro on the foods where it fits.

But I have really tried with banana and it doesnā€™t work there. And I cannot even go near cherries.

2 Likes

I still dislike it cooked. If there is a tiny amount I can cope but will not enjoy the food. If thereā€™s more than a little in the stock say, I canā€™t eat it. I also struggle with celeriac.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

I used to loathe peanut butter. I could tell if someone had used the same knife to butter my sandwich/toast as they used to put peanut butter on thereā€™s, even if it had been wiped (but obviously not if it had been properly washed!). I donā€™t even remember when my taste for it changed but now I love it.

I decided in my early twenties that I wanted to like Marmite for some reason - possibly because I am a contrary soul and wanted to disprove the Love/Hate marketing that Marmite used wrong. I ate pretty much nothing but Marmite on toast for 3-4 weeks and now I love it! :slight_smile: Which actually, when you think about it, didnā€™t prove the marketing wrong - I went from Hate to Love. Perhaps it would have been better if I went from Hate to Indifferenceā€¦

There are some foods I like raw but not cooked as well - I love raw apples but not all that keen on cooked apple (and used to absolutely loathe it).

6 Likes

Cherries: fresh fine, synthetic not. Not tried pies etc. made with the real fruit.
Bananas: sure. (Sliced onto cornflakes may be one of my favourite things.)
Celery: love it raw, I suppose it has its uses cooked but itā€™s not really a thing I think of. Celeriac remoulade, yum.
Peanut butter: came to it recently, like it quite a bit.
Marmite: love it.

Not fond of food with small bones etc. so I donā€™t eat much fish.

I am not in charge of anyone elseā€™s diet so I leave that to them.

4 Likes

And so say all of us! (Well, I suppose Iā€™m kinda in charge of my kidsā€™ diet.)

6 Likes

Cherries- Amazing. In any and all forms and varieties. Fresh, candied, dried, preserved, fake flavoring. I do not care. I will eat cherries, cherry baked goods, cherry flavored things, or whatever cherry food item you care to present to me very happily.

To mix things up: Strawberries- Disgusting. Absolute trash. Some artificial fake strawberry flavored things (candies and the like) are very good because they taste like generic sugary fruit and not actually like strawberry.

Bananas- Similar to strawberries. The real ones are a little better than real strawberries but still not good. Fake candy flavor can be delicious.

Pineapple on pizza- Hawaiian pizza with the right mix of sweetness from the pineapple and saltiness from the ham is very good. Anything else, not so much. The balance has to be there.

5 Likes