The Cherry Debate

I have to disagree vehemently, how could you :wink:

Strawberries and apples were the only 2 fruity things I ate as a child. They are the opposite of cherries and bananas!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never tried goat yoghurt.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure an angry clownā€™s frown is the opposite of a bananas. And the opposite of the cherry is a perfect cube of coal.

3 Likes

Personally I prefer the quiet dignified sweetness of a raspberry rather than in-your-face arenā€™t I amazing eat me you know you want to strawberry. Although I have sometimes had strawberries when I was in a difficult place.

1 Like

Not a fan of raspberries either. They are slightly better than strawberries, but probably only because most everything is better than strawberries.

I have always had these opinions in regards to the berries in question. Then in my early twenties I started having some medical concerns that eventually led to a diagnosis of a chronic, genetic illness of the digestive system. One of the symptoms is that my body has a much more difficult time than normal processing foods with lots of seeds and they have the potential to make me very ill. Theory is my body knew that all along and Iā€™ve never liked the taste of berries with their stupid little seeds because my body was basically rejecting them as harmful.

3 Likes

Fun fact: strawberries and raspberries arenā€™t actually berries!

8 Likes

I know, but I was using berries in the everyday language sense not the technical botanist sense.

Same kind of thing as knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit not a vegetable. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in your fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if salsa / pico de gallo could be a tomato-based fruit salad. :grin:

2 Likes

David Mitchell is quite amusing when he wants about what are fruits/berries/nuts on The Unbelievable Truth (a Radio 4 comedy panel show)

2 Likes

Oh, donā€™t get me started on the false dichotomy of fruits and vegetables. Tomatoes (and cucumbers) are both!

3 Likes

I donā€™t get the cherry debate. Theyā€™re great! I thought it was a universally appealing fruit!

3 Likes

blackberry > raspberry > strawberry for me.

2 Likes

I love cherries and pineapple, will only eat them fresh/raw, and will almost always make myself ill from gorging on them. Itā€™s a problem.

2 Likes

I like raspberries in things or the flavour of raspberries, but I canā€™t stand eating them as fruits. The texture is horrible.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not really in favour of fruit. I appreciate it but I donā€™t trust it. Iā€™ve never been disappointed by a Pringle.

6 Likes

Iā€™m often disappointed by the third Pringle.

3 Likes

I am usually disappointed in myself when eating pringles.

8 Likes

I read a study a few years ago: when researchers dyed each fifth pringle red, people would eat fewer, presumably because theyā€™d be getting a periodic reminder of how many theyā€™d already eaten that session.

5 Likes

You know what, it was only till I moved to the UK in the early 2000s that I found somebody that didnā€™t like olives. I think it can be surprising that you have acquired tastes that can be even a cultural thing. Growing up in Spain everybody loved olives (at least in my circle of people through school, friends and University) and in the UK I met loads of people that hated them.

Investigating a little bit, turns out that after the war, Spain was so poor (no WWII involvement, so no Marshall Plan) that through most of Spain, olives were like a treat for kids in the late 1940s and through the 50s (we had loads) and even though in the Canaries we had a lot of banana and tomato, they were not affordable because it was all being exported to the UK and Northern Europe (Canary Wharf in London, for example).

Back to cherries and banana, I like both, but I am not a massive fruit eater. I like berries in general, but there three fruits that even I can love the juice, their texture puts me off: mango, pear and strawberries. I cannot have the raw fruit.

And to further the debate for pizza toppings, I can sort of tolerate pineapple on pizza (but would never order it); what about this one, that I have seen here in NZ for the first time: Kiwi as a pizza topping. Yuck!

5 Likes

Just before Iā€™d moved over to wales I did a scout operation to find a house. There was a local takeaway called ā€œbanana pizzaā€. It wasnā€™t one of those dessert pizzas but a regular pizza with bananas. I quite liked it back then.

Actually I swing between having loaded pizzas and just ā€œmargaritaā€ (cheese and tomato only) - it usually goes from being a in a cheese and tomato phase and then adding one or two extras at a time until Iā€™m like dissapointed with the result and then reset back down to cheese and tomato.

I also try any novelty flavour if they have it. Another place here did walnut/pear/blue cheese. Which is fun.

2 Likes

Coming into the debate late, but I love cherries and my partner dislikes (not hates, but doesnā€™t like) them.

A good cherry pie is the greatest of all pies. A bad cherry pie is the 2nd worst of all pies (pumpkin pie without a mountain of whipped cream is worse). Whereas a great apple pie is, like, top 5 pies, but a really bad apple pie is likeā€¦ top 10 pies.

Maybe 11. Too much cinnamon. Anyway.

Sticking with fruit pies and assuming blue-ribbon quality (not ā€œBest Ever,ā€ but a really good homemade or restaurant caliber pie), I think my ranking is approximately:
Cherry ā†’ Blueberry ā†’ Peach (with Crumble topping) ā†’ Strawberry-Rhubarb ā†’ Apple with Ice Cream ā†’ Lemon Meringue ā†’ Lime ā†’ Peach (with normal topping) ā†’ Raspberry ā†’ Mixed Berry ā†’ Around here Iā€™ll stop ordering fruit pies and start considering worthy non-fruit alternatives (Chocolate Peanut Butter pie, Maple Pie, Sugar Pie, Butter Pecan, Coconut Cream if itā€™s really good Coconut Creamā€¦).

I have the genetic thing where cilantro tastes like soap and I hate licorice/anise, but otherwise there are few foods I wonā€™t try. I usually hate blue cheese (it tastes exactly how I imagine belly button lint tastes), but I had it once in Las Vegas in a salad with shrimp and my gods I would stab a stranger to have it again (the restaurant, Rosemarieā€™s, didnā€™t survive the pandemicā€¦ not that Iā€™ve ever been back to Las Vegas).

2 Likes