Ten of the Best, New*, Small-Box Boardgames!

2023-04-20T20:03:45Z

This is a good video

3 Likes

The bit at 16.00 made me uncontrollably laugh out loud in my room. That was a great video.

4 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I was looking at Trailblazers the other day, and wondering if it wasn’t more or less just Sprawlopolis in a vastly bigger box (I mean… there are a ton of obvious differences, but I got the impression that it would feel like a very similar puzzle). I thought Tom might have commented on that. Maybe the differences are much more significant than I think, though.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ll be making any purchases on the back of this, though.

• Spots – maybe… but I have Martian Dice.
  • For Sale – the only one in this list that I already have (in an even tinier edition).
  • Yokai Septet – sounds great but harder to teach than lots of other trick-taking games I’d happily play. I can only envisage eyes glazing over upon hearing that there are seven suits, each with its own unique set of ranks.
  • Hungry Monkey – maybe… even if it’s a classic card game, the presentation looks lovely.
  • Twilight Inscription – I’m not a fan of roll&writes in any case.
  • Worldbreakers – Not my kind of game.
  • Voyages & Aquamarine – roll&write.
  • Trek 12 – roll&write.
  • Trailblazers – maybe… it looks good… I’m sure I’d like it… but I have Sprawlopolis (and could fit about 100 Sprawlopoli into that box).
  • For the Queen – intriguing, but I’m not sure who I’d ever play it with.
5 Likes

I grabbed For the Queen due to how unique it is. And being a small box means I’m willing to take a punt. Not interested on the rest. I already have Yokai Septet. And For Sale is a classic filler.

2 Likes

Spots was the highlight for me. Definitely keeping an eye out for that one!

2 Likes

I genuinely don’t get why everyone thinks spots is amazing.

1 Like

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for how I feel about all of these! (Down to having the correctly-sized version of For Sale.)

I feel like Spots is the perfect gift game for anyone who likes dogs though, whether new to board games or not. I’m not a dog person but even I’m charmed by the art.

3 Likes

For anyone who feels like trying it, Spots has arrived on BGA today

5 Likes

Spots reminds me a bit of FUSE, though without the timer and some obviously different mechanics. It looks cute, though, and seems like a decent filler.

1 Like

I backed the KS for Trailblazers. I am envious they already have a copy.

I think I’ll eventually buy Trek although I have sworn to myself to be more careful with R&W games. I have too many and most languish in the corner most of the time even when I enjoy them a lot.

2 Likes

Trek left me cold, but that was playing on BGA where everything is less fun.

4 Likes

Yokai Septet isn’t that complicated to teach. My parents picked it up and they struggle with Codenames

2 Likes

I love seeing how SU&SD is still quite influential, even with their somewhat reduced output. BGG top 50 hotness has four of the games they reviewed (Worldbreakers, Spots, For Sale, and Trailblazers).

4 Likes

I bought the queen game

3 Likes

If you need someone to play it with I’d be up for a game

3 Likes

Yeah we definitely should! I’m going to tease it to some people alongside Ghost Carcassone and see what they fancy.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, the physical product didn’t help me find any fun in it. Unexpectedly sterile for a Cathala.

3 Likes

Spots and Hungry Monkey have both been added to my wishlist.

Of course, Spots was already on my radar due to SVWAG's coverage. I’m here for Doog, basically.

I recently took SCOUT on a vacation and realized how hard it is to get traditional-card-game gamers “non-gamers” to play hobby games even when they share a lot of the same DNA. I think I need more middle-ground, so Hungry Monkey seems suited. Also, I ended up with 6 players at the table instead of the anticipated 5, so SCOUT was already right out – but Hongry Munkey wouldn’t’ve

5 Likes