Star Trek Ascendancy (recruitment)

(Exactly why I didn’t build any.)

2 Likes

Quick correction @RogerBW: I completed “Superior Shield Harmonics”, Tal Shiar Monitoring Posts is at 3/4, and I started 2 Random Research projects at the end of my turn.

Danke!

Huh, it’s in the image, but not in the Text Summary at the bottom.

Whatever, you know that I know that you know, and that’s what matters.

1 Like

Yeah, next game I’m just going to do everything in the SVG rather than keeping track across multiple places.

1 Like

[innocent manly shrug]

In the first game I played, the Klingons (not played by me) bombarded their own homeworld to prevent someone else getting the victory. It seemed entirely appropriate, really.

1 Like

(oh yeah the Federation trade agreement goes back to the Feds automatically)

1 Like

I’m really sorry if this is not being fun.

I’m having a great time!

I don’t know about Ross. I know it sucks to get kicked in the teeth on the precipice of victory.

(Also, don’t we gain Command for the Federation starbases we now control? Or no?)

2 Likes

I am loving this. Rules are going in very quickly. First game, so it’s about how much defence you actually need.

I’d be up for another game as soon as I win.

2 Likes

Ruh-roh. I just noticed that my ships have First Strike on my turn.

I don’t think it’s mattered (nobody has attacked me… yet…), but for the upcoming Federation Turn, it might matter.

Just a reminder about Shield Harmonics, Superior Targeting, Cloaked Orbital Mines, and, worse come to worst, Tal Diann Security and Continuing Committee.

1 Like

Federation to play, I think (having snagged second place with 1 Research).

1 Like

(Just planning a minor revenge.)

1 Like

(I forgot to create a fleet when I bought all the ships. Is it ok if I do that before my command phase?)

Sure, you had a bunch of commands left over.

1 Like

Okay, since Ross is basically done (one Command left, Ross! Get 'er done!), it’s time.

For all the marbles and control of the Alpha Quadrant… the single most important question I have asked all game:

@RogerBW will any length Warp Lane connect the Black Hole system to the McAllister Nebula, or does it have to be a specific length? Since the Black Hole is still “free”, there is some rotation there, but I can’t tell precisely.

I, and my Fleets of Pacifistic Union Against All Tyranny, await your response… :slight_smile:

If you explore, you have to take the lane length you roll; if that doesn’t fit, then it’s a “loose” warp lane which doesn’t lead anywhere, and when your ships leave it it’s removed from the map.

I didn’t think it was possible to get a fit before, but I believe it’s doable with a 2-length.

1 Like

You can’t check if the lanes fit beforehand? Like, “test fit” a 2-length, 3-length, and 4-length before I make the rolls?

I think you’re allowed to test, but I honestly don’t know… it’s probably irrelevant, because if it doesn’t fit then I will probably just concede (I don’t think I can punch through your front door with only 9 orders, much less 8 which is what I might have).

Oh, and if a 2-length doesn’t fit to McAllister, can it fit to Sona instead? That might work.

Sorry, I’m putting it badly. You can test-fit as much as you like (and I’ve just done so, to confirm that Black Hole to Son’A is doable at 2 – because looking at the map I assumed that was what you meant).

Yes, length 3 from Black Hole can connect to McAllister. Length 4 you’re out of luck I think.

Then when you actually move you have a specific rolled length that you can either try to fit or retreat from.

Just been catching up with ST:A news on BGG, and it appears that two new faction boxes will be coming out next year: Dominion and Breen. (Who? Breen.) No further information at this point.

One of the designers of the game (Sean Sweigart) is dead, and the other two (Aaron Dill, and John Kovaleski who seems to have been more of a business/admin person though still with some game design input) no longer work for Gale Force 9, though of course they aren’t the only people who can design factions. We’ll see, I guess.

There are a bunch of fan-made factions but I feel less enthusiasm for including them in games, even here where I don’t have to print-and-play them.

1 Like

Ooh, that length 4 not working adds a frustrating kink to my plans (anything that goes to the Blackhole and doesn’t find the right length is gone from the game… can’t go back to warp, which means it is out of the fight).

The loss of that one Command may be ruinous… It will take 6 Commands to get my fleets into striking position, 1 to attack, 1 to invade, and that leaves… nothing. Ross is a jerk-faced jerk of the clan McJerks.

(He’s not, but gosh this is gonna be tight)

2 Likes