Spirit Island PbF - Game 1

Right, I will check if it is correct my use of Gather the Warriors. I push from the northern coastal desert one Dahan along with my presence, then gather twice from the coastal mountains that now have my presence, once from the North desert, once from the South Wetland. Then I intend to use Voices of Thunder to gather two Fear points there.

My doubt is if I can gather from different regions into one in two separate actions or if I have to do both from the same region.

Gather allows you to pull from multiple neighboring regions. Similarly, Push allows you to push things to multiple different regions.

1 Like

That was my understanding of it, as it can be done in individual uses, but I wanted to double check first.

Gather the Warriors is a single innate power, and therefore targets one land1. Its effects must be resolved in order2, so you first gather up to (# Air elements) Dahan into the target land then push up to (# Sun elements) out of the same target land.

If your main aim is to get three Dahan and your Presence into the mountains with the city then you can still achieve this by using Voices of Thunder for its push effect instead of its fear effect. In fact, I think there are at least four different ways you could do this:

1. Gather the Warriors to gather a Dahan from 1 → 2. Voices of Thunder to push two Dahan and your Presence from 3 → 2.
  2. Gather the Warriors to gather a Dahan from 1 → 4 then push the same Dahan and your Presence from 4 → 3. Voices of Thunder to push three Dahan and up to two Presence from 3 → 2.
  3. Gather the Warriors to gather a Dahan from NE6 → SE3. Voices of Thunder to push three Dahan and your Presence from 3 → 2.
  4. Gather the Warriors to gather one or two Dahan from 7 → 4 then push one of those Dahan and optionally your Presence from 4 → 3. Voice of Thunder to push three Dahan and up to two Presence from 3 → 2.

1 https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2014820/thunderspeaker-innnate-power-clarification
2 https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2478593/thunderspeaker-innates

1 Like

Oops, I forgot that only oceans with my presence in them can have invaders pushed there, so in hindsight I cannot clear two coastal wetlands in next turn’s slow phase, only one. I will be happy to discuss with the group which would be the best one to clear, but recommend NW3 as otherwise it will drown a Dahan as well.

I can, however, enable any other spirit to push a town and up to 2 Dahan from one region to another, as long as the source land has their presence. Gives 2 energy as well. But this can be discussed during the next growth phase.

That’s why I thought I’d ask, this is one of those powers that can be open to interpretation, so I will go with what you say on point 2, but on the move from 3 to 2 only move one presence, not two.

Cheers for the clarification, and apologies for the delay, we were dealing with our own Spirits here in NZ yesterday.

2 Likes

No worries, hope you are all safe in NZ.

Slow Power Phase
Chewy77 resolves Gather the Warriors targeting SE4, gathering the Dahan hut from SE1 then pushing the Dahan hut to SE3. Thunderspeaker’s special rule moves a Presence with the Dahan from SE4 to SE3.
Chewy77 resolves Voices of Thunder targeting SE3. All three Dahan huts are pushed from SE3 to SE2, and one of Thunderspeaker’s Presence moves with the Dahan huts.

That is it for the slow power phase. That brings us to round 2 and back to the Spirit phase, starting with growth.

Board state at the start of turn 2:

Healthy Island: 9 Blight Remaining
Fear: 2/16
Fear Deck: 3/3/3, 0 Cards Earned

Invader Turn
Ravage: Mountains
Build: Wetlands
Explore: Stage I (Jungle or Sands)

RogerBW Player Board and Cards

You have 3 Energy.

Discard Pile

Discard_Pile_RogerBW

Lordof1 Player Board and Cards

You have 1 Energy.

Cards_Remaining_Lordof1

Discard Pile

Discard_Pile_Lordof1

Chewy77 Player Board and Cards

You have 3 Energy.

Cards_Remaining_Chewy77

Discard Pile

Discard_Pile_Chewy77

COMaestro Player Board and Cards

You have 1 Energy and have drowned 1 Health of Invaders.

Discard Pile

Discard_Pile_COMaestro

@RogerBW @Lordof1 @Chewy77 @COMaestro Next step is to pick growth options but you may wish to discuss your strategy for the coming turn first.

My current plan is to use the growth option that pushes 1 Presence from each Ocean, adds 1 Presence to a Coastal land, and gains a Power card.

Push the Presence in @RogerBW’s Ocean to Wetland 3. I have a card that will eliminate the Explorer and Town that is about to build there, so you won’t have to worry about it.

Push the Presence in my Ocean to Desert 2. Add a Presence from my Energy track to my Forest 1.

I have nothing that can prevent the Ravage in my lands.

I have a slow card that I will be using which allows another Spirit to gain 2 Energy and push 1 town and up to two Dahan from one of their lands. I am open to suggestions for who to give this to.

Thunderspeaker Growth phase

My idea is to use the middle option of growth, to place two presence discs on both my sections of mountain (7 and 2). The discs will come out of both rows (energy and card plays) which gives me an air symbol and still 2 cards per turn.

EDIT: I am planning to use my Defence 3 card in my mountain coastal area, to then attack harshly in my slow phase with Manifestation of power and glory, and possibly destroy the some of the new builds on the southern marshland with my innate power (slow) before turning towards COMaestro’s inner lands, which are getting a bit out of hand…

1 Like

Oh, they are well in hand. Just not mine :sweat_smile:

1 Like

3 energy for Rituals of Destruction into NW1 will take out two towns and one explorer, I think. I could potentially Grow to get another card play; de-Blighting 5 is a pleasing idea if I sacred-site 4 or 6, but the Defend would be wasted.

1 Like

The defend is constant, though, and you know the invaders will get there eventually. Unless you need it elsewhere sooner, it’s not a waste.

1 Like

So that there is no confusion: the Defend from RogerBW’s Sacred Sites is constant, which I think is what COMaestro is referring to. The Defend from Guard the Healing Land, which would also remove the Blight in NW5, lasts only for the turn it is played and I think this is what RogerBW means would be wasted.

2 Likes

Yes - thanks, I didn’t make that distinction clear. I don’t know this specific game very well, but generally I try not to burn resources for things I don’t need.

For clarity - the board says I have 3 energy now. Clearly that’s before Growth. Am I going to get my current 2 energy/turn added to that, or is that already counted in?

That is how much energy you’ve carried forward from last turn. This will be added to what you receive from your energy track and any bonus energy from your chosen growth option.

2 Likes

The removing blight is never a waste, though. We have a couple areas that will be ravaged and having another blight in the reserve will make our life a lot easier.

1 Like

OK, then I think we end up with this.

Mica McGranite

Growth option 3:

• add a presence (from the Card Plays track) into 6 making it a sacred site
  • gain 2 energy

Will have a total of 7 energy.

Plan to play:

• Guard the Healing Land from 6 into 5 to remove the blight
  • Rituals of Destruction from 8 into 7 to do 2 + 3 damage (removing 2 towns, 1 explorer) and generating 2 fear.
2 Likes

Just as a heads-up in, case you hadn’t noticed, that will get you 1 Sun, 2 Earth and 2 Plants. That is enough to use the first level of your Gift of Strength innate power. No need to decide what to do with it now, you can wait to see what everyone else plays, but, might be good to know you have it available.

For info: “Repeat” in Spirit Island means that you resolve all the effects of a power again without paying the energy cost (unless specified otherwise) and you may target target a different land to the first use of the power if you want. The repeat must be done immediately after the first use, i.e. you cannot use other powers between the first use and the repeated use.

3 Likes

Also, I’ve used the same iconography on the board as is used on the cards. A single town looks like two houses one behind the other, a city is three houses (two behind the front one), so in NW7 there is currently 1 town and 2 explorers.

Apologies that that wasn’t clear, I should have added a key to the map.