Sizes of boxes that feel... right

8 Likes

I think I need more than just one photo of that!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Oh no that “board” is giving me major anxiety.

3 Likes

My daughter bought two games in this format from Aldi: Connect 4 and Operation. Have you ever seen pieces so small? I do not think you have.

We still occasionally turn up tiny (I’m talking 5mm diameter, 2mm thick) Connect 4 game pieces when sweeping out under the sofa.

EDIT: I should say the Operation game was actually quite clever: the pieces are contained within the game and you manipulate them with only a magnetic stylus.

4 Likes

Like an MRI gone horrifically wrong.

6 Likes

Vivarium is quite a nice box size for the kind of game it is:

But mainly, the way the dominoes fit into the top section is :kissing::ok_hand:

7 Likes

The flat items aside (manual, cards, etc), Lost Kingdoms arrived with a thick wad of punch boards for its ~70 chunky tiles; a sealed bag of wooden dinosaur-ples; and a very basic cardboard insert which formed a protective wall between the two. It also provided 8 zip-lock bags – one for each of the seven categories of tile (which need to be separate from one another at set-up), and one for the dinos. The cardboard insert was unnecessary at this point and made things awkward with the extra padding of the bags, but after chucking it everything fits very nicely. A good box!

6 Likes

And on the subject of Lost Kingdoms, here is some of the craziest blinging of a game that I’ve ever seen. Bear in mind that the edges of the tiles as shipped are just the bare cut cardboard from the punch boards.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Here’s City of the Great Machine with The Escalation expansion. There’s room to spare for the extra heroes pack and their associated cards, plus whatever the KS exclusive faff would have been. All while retaining the included insert, which is 70% generic wells, and amen to that! There are a decent variety of tokens, but all fairly limited in number, so while some co-mingling is required, it’s still easy to just take out what you need. Great insert with very little wasted space.

9 Likes

Kabuto Sumo + Total Mayhem + Insect All-Stars + Andre the Goliath + Flor de Muertos.

OK, I did have to ditch the inlay, and probably I’ll re-bag things at some point.

9 Likes

Something I really appreciate about Tetrarchia is the small1 box and painless set-up/tear-down.

I have all the wooden pieces in three zip-lock bags: one for the bits I use in a regular game; one for the expansion pieces and other bits I don’t usually use; and one for the original over-sized emperor and barbarian tokens that I’ve replaced but didn’t want to throw out.

Set-up is (1) pour everything from the first bag into the box lid; (2) roll the dice to place the initial revolts and barbarians, which takes about a minute; (3) grab the four emperors and choose where to put the fleet; (4) play! Tear down is (1) pour everything on the board into the box lid; (2) pour everything in the box lid into the zip-lock bag; (3) pop everything (1 board, 2 manuals, 3 zip-lock bags) back in the box.

1 Standard reference cat provided for scale. It’s true that the box could safely be even smaller, but the amount of empty space is trivial by board game standards, and I am 100% ok with it as-is!

11 Likes

Thanks to @Acacia for the inspiration, Furnace in the expansion box:

And ditto Riftforce:

5 Likes

Oh god did you fold the rules in half?

It’s necessary but… I … can’t.

(I put mine into Barrage as it fits the deco-industrialist theme and I’ll remember where they are)

3 Likes

Or…

:scissors:

5 Likes

That’s horrible!

The correct method would be to use scissors to cut the instruction manual to the correct size so as to avoid making a crease in the paper.

:smiley:

EDIT: :ninja: 'd by @pillbox

5 Likes

Oh heavens stop

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like it, but needs must.

Also done an 8-page pocketmod for each, with expansions.

3 Likes

If you guys have any more inspiration, pls add them here.

5 Likes