Riddle me this... a puzzle thread

Based on the popularity of the wordle thread I’m guessing we all like a good puzzle to noodle on. Opening up a place to drop any good riddles/puzzles you’ve heard so the rest of us can enjoy?

For structure, I guess put any prompts in the main thread. If you want to hazard an answer, reply to the post with the question and blur your answer. The asker should be able to look at all responses and reply to them?

I dunno. Just seeing if this works. I’ll start with one.

1 Like

To what PLURAL noun, in English, can you add an S (at the end) to create a singular word?

Notes:

• The plural and singular word do not need to be alternates of the same word
  • Over the years I’ve found two answers so far
4 Likes

If you don’t mind me being a stinker, practically any verb (bake is the third-person plural, bakes is the third-person singular).

I solved your puzzle riddlemaster, now you have to let Alfred go!

1 Like

Alright, I have updated the prompt to read “noun.” Back to work.

1 Like

This classic grammar question is from my dad. Which is correct: The yolk of eggs is white or the yolk of eggs are white?

1 Like

It would have to be is, because yolk is being used as uncountable.

Also: “The yolk of eggs is white” is perfectly fine grammar and a completely valid sentence, even if it is not factual.

1 Like

plural (of prince) princes becomes a single princess

5 Likes

Ha.

“Is” being the correct grammar?

and yellow being the correct color : )

1 Like

Aye, that’s one, and a fast one at that.

1 Like

My wife has come up with millionaires which becomes millionairess. Works with billionaires as well

Also asses to become assess

2 Likes

Huh. Didn’t know those were words!

Red X for “Assess” as it is not a singular noun.

2 Likes

How about bas (as in many sheep make many bas)?

1 Like

Depends on whether we are playing Scottish rules or not.

Does Murderers work?

I don’t think so - the extra S would be murdererss?

Cares to Caress?

Are you ruling out Classical Latin origin words where the plural is ending in -i? Like species/specii…?

Boom! That’s the other solution I’d found. Took you all half a day : )

1 Like

If you can come up with a plural noun ending in “I” that becomes a singular noun after adding an “S” I don’t see why that wouldn’t be valid.

1 Like

To be fair, I only worked it for 15-20 minutes. :slight_smile:

1 Like