Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

It’s really more of a Shelbyville thing…

4 Likes

Last night my wife and I played another round of Unmatched, and for the first time I played a ranged character, Robin Hood, against her go-to of Medusa. This was our closest match ever, but still continued my losing streak (I have one win with King Arthur).

Now, to be a bit fair to me, I have been playing with new fighters other than our first three games, which were all with KA, so I am coming to the table with characters that may require different play styles than others. Against Medusa who has so many cards that make you discard, I always felt short handed with KA, and felt similar when playing as Alice. So when playing with Sinbad who can draw SO MANY CARDS, I ended up emptying my deck, which managed to kill me soon after. I got unlucky with my Raptors when one got taken out in a big hit, really reducing my effectiveness too early in the game.

Robin Hood and his Outlaws were interesting to play, as they can hit and run, really helpful against Medusa’s special ability of doing 1 damage to a fighter in her zone at the beginning of her turn. Robin also has some big attacks and some card drawing abilities. At the end of the game, I managed to empty my deck, while she had just 4 cards left in hers. All my outlaws were defeated, as were two of her harpies (though both of us had used our two cards that return a defeated one to play). Medusa was at 1 HP. It was really exciting, but after my last hit I was out of cards and my deck was empty, so there was no help for it. Just shows that I need to focus a bit more on Medusa and less on her harpies, which can be difficult when they keep getting in the way.

5 Likes

Played 3-player Sonora. I love roll and writes and flicking games, and dear lord, does this ever check off so many satisfying boxes. It’s incredibly charming. Each puzzle is satisfying so far. Looking forward to more. The only complaint on first play is that remembering which section is named what can be annoying. Can’t wait to play more.

Got utterly destroyed in Targi. Made risky decisions with my tribe cards that really didn’t pay off. I still love it, even when I’m clearly going to lose.

Played case 2 of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting detective - Carlton’s House & Queen’s Park. All my roommate and I have to say about that is: :unamused:.

And we had the most satisfying game of Gloomhaven yet. Our 8th play. I had 4 top-deck 2x damage modifiers which was soooo fulfilling. We also had the singular most coordinated and exciting turn without any planning or discussion. My tinkerer netted 3 enemies while the cragheart ran in to pummel them and our mind thief shanked the last enemy in the room still reeling from the shock of it all. Just an absolutely fantastic session that left us feeling like complete superheroes after we BARELY made it through our last scenario (got the objective with the very last possible turn).

Haven’t had chance to play anything over the last month and a half or so with my doc program, and just a very needed and fulfilling game night. Really looking forward to getting Sonora to the table again.

5 Likes

Had a very successful games night recently. Managed a rare 4 player game of Taverns of Tiefentahl, which I managed to win with 137 points. Everyone I’ve played this with absolutely loves it. Too much, actually… I really need get this back from friends.

Next a game of Twice as Clever. We’ve only had this about a week, and I struggled at first to get near 200. Now, 250+ is the minimum. Won the four player game with just over 290.

To finish, we took a break from Wolfang Warsch’s fantastic output, and played a nice easy game of Dixit. With some very obscure references aimed at one or two people, I managed to win this (not sure how many quote Silence of the Lambs in this game!).

It’s an incredibly rare games night if I manage to win a game. Rarer still for a clean sweep. Looking forward to a rematch on this on the weekend.

4 Likes

How much extra set up time is there with Bad News Bears? I love the base game, but not sure if it’ll get played much if it takes to long to get going.

2 Likes

Played Pulsar 2849 for the first time yesterday. It’s good, maybe very good. Very euro, but the space theme is fun and does just enough to justify itself. The options are broad and interesting there’s also a reasonable amount of player interaction. And the one track in it is mostly hidden. Definitely very playable and I’m looking forward to giving it another go.

3 Likes

More tiles to put on display - Grizzly Bears tiles

Monorail bits have to be arranged from highest to lowest. You can just plop the supports wherever

Thats it, i think. I dont own the game and I didnt help with the setup lol

5 Likes

Set up isn’t significantly increased (though Barenpark set up is already longer than feels necessary for what it is). I’d say that if you’re going to play it, the expansion doesn’t add too much time. I generally don’t break the game out unless I know 2-3 games are happening, though.

2 Likes

Turns out we were like a turn and a half from finishing that Imperial Assault campaign (you literally just run away). So we discussed other games for a few, then settled on Spirit Island. Two of us had played before, but only a few experimental games, none won under a correct understanding of the rules. Two brand new. And it’s a scripted mod, so there was a little bit of figuring out what exactly does what (numpad based token playing! so cool!), and a lot of figuring out what the heck is even happening with the game. So we’re one turn in, with Shadows, Lightning, River, and Rampant Green (me) against baseline Brandenburg-Prussia. We stopped a few things, but oh, there are so many of them. Gonna try and pick up tomorrow, see what we can see. Probably we’ll lose, but that’s fine. It’s a tough game, with a lot to figure out. The scripting is really helpful, though - scripted setup, buttons for adjusting fear, automatic element tracking, power gaining, etc.

1 Like

One of two reasons I sold it. The other reason was I found it boring

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s my feeling in it too. It’s a fun game, but takes way too long to set up. Some sort of insert could have reduced set up time significantly. If it doesn’t add that much I’ll look at picking it up.

Yesterday my wife and I played Splendor and Carcassonne. We haven’t played either in some time and I got beaten in most of the games. My wife is definitely better than me at Splendor. She’s much quicker at figuring out an engine. I won the third game of Splendor, only because I finally picked up on copying her strategy and got lucky. I didn’t even realize I’d won when we did it. After Splendor we played an extremely close game of Carcassonne. Neither of us played particularly well, and it was a very friendly game. We did change it up by using the starting Tableau expansion. It’s an oversized tile that makes several starting positions available. I liked the change but I think I prefer the river.

3 Likes

An insert would get it played so much more often. It’s one of those light games we play while just chatting and relaxing, just enjoying the act of fitting our parks together, but when it takes what feels like half as much time to set up as it does to play… it just doesn’t hit the table as much as we’d like. Nine times out of ten when the name comes up EVERYONE says “I just wish it didn’t take so long to set up.”

But those monorails…

4 Likes

I made an insert for the base game. It helps but there is still no space in the box for the expansion.

1 Like

Played a couple of games of Battle Sheep on BGA tonight. Two player, won both games and knew it on turn two.

Cured my desire to buy it.

Wildlands on TTS. Well, yeah, I guess, but it’s a very Martin Wallace game and for me that’s a bad thing.

1 Like

What makes a game “very Martin Wallace” other than being designed by him?

1 Like

Wildlands is actually one of Wallace’s oddball designs, which is kind of the only stuff of his with which I’m familiar… which means I have no frame of reference with respect to his more widely enjoyed designs/associated quirks… which means I’m not making a very helpful comment here. But still, Wildlands is a marvelous design I really wish more people would have jumped on.

[EDIT] We have Unmatched fans here, all of whom should take a good look at it. Similarly delightful/devious multi-use cardplay.

6 Likes

Tonight I played Unmatched with someone I met on the SUSD Discord, on Tabletop Simulator. We initially played on the Sherwood Forest Map. He played as Robin Hood and I was Jekyll and Hyde. Our second game was played at Baskerville Manner and I played as the Invisible Man and he was Dracula. Each of our games was close, but he won both of them. I feel like he had a better grasp of his characters, but I think we were both relatively knew to the ones we were trying. I really enjoyed playing with him, I look forward to playing more Unmatched on TTS. At least until I can convinced my wife to play again, or things go back to normal and I can have some friends over.

3 Likes

I have TTS now. I will have to look into this.

3 Likes