Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Played The Great Zimbabwe - amazing amazing game. Ruleset equivalent to probably a mid-weight Euro, but very deep and engaging game of logistics. I was wondering where the player interaction is, but it showed its obvious interplayer dependency after a few turns. The victory requirement mechanism is a clever thing that should be used more often.

Definitely want more plays of this.

3 Likes

We should get one going on Boardgamecore. I have never played it.

2 Likes

Small 1 Player Guild gathering for the birthday of one of the UK members (originally planned to be in a pub in Silverstone) - which ended up meaning games of Rallyman GT, 6 Nimmt!, and Stone Age on boardgamearena with Jitsi as a chat service. Good people.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be up for a rolling game!

1 Like

(What are rolling games?)

1 Like

My guess is 1 game at a time, waiting for the current Antiquity game to finish.

Itā€™s either that, or playing TGZ while skateboarding.

3 Likes

I reckon my on my chance of besting @Benkyo at anything would be if he was skating at the same time. :grinning:

2 Likes

Video of Benkyo skateboarding

1 Like

I suck at some social deduction games, if that helps?

(I tend to go bright red if Iā€™m forced to tell a lie I think is obviously a lie)

(I also canā€™t skate(board))

3 Likes

Does that mean I should put another game of The Resistance on my ā€œforum games for Roger to runā€ list? The BGG Resistance community works surprisingly well.

5 Likes

Therein lies the advantage

1 Like

Yes, it is winter here in NZ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Played Planet Apocalypse yesterday. It was kinda fun. Definitely not worth the money though. Too grindy and long winded for what was there in terms of decisions. No where near as fun as Quinns made it sound on the recent podcast. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t buy a copy.

1 Like

More of the same for me recently. Iā€™m still loving the solo challenge of Terraforming Mars, and slowly getting better at building to my strengths, instead of holding onto a card that ā€˜looks really goodā€™ for half the game, only to never build it. I did some tidying of the box too, because it was annoying me that the cards were in a bag and would will inevitably age faster. So I printed and made some tuckboxes, which came out nicely.

I got Maracaibo to the table again too. The first solo game I played with the ā€˜very easyā€™ automa cards and only just squeaked a win, so I thought I was terrible at it. Turns out (on my second game) that on her turn you either take a disc off her board or take a card from the display, not both. I trounced her this time, so next time Iā€™ll up the difficulty. Itā€™s such a good game, so varied. Iā€™t s proper table-filler though.

6 Likes

Finished Exit The stormy Flight. Definitely out of practice on these, and one word on the last card took me on a massive diversion. Still incredibly clever.

(Bonus Ross Points for completing without destroying any components.)

3 Likes

How does Maracaibo compare to Great Western Trail for you so far?

I had my worst ever performance at Terraforming Mars this afternoon. Could not get anything going at all. The problem is I tend to fiddle about with it now, so reject good corps, preludes and cards because Iā€™m bored of them. Bit me in the arse massively today.

2 Likes

Also, Iā€™ve now found out the errata sheet in the game was added on purpose to make one of the puzzles harder!

2 Likes

My wife got the 2 in 1 puzzle for her birthday.

I think weā€™ve done 6 Exit games now and Iā€™m still surprised by them. Even the easy ones are ingenious in their design.

Spoiler warningā€¦

Do you find having played a few that you instantly start pulling the box apart and reading the barcode?

1 Like

Itā€™s a very different game. Other than the fact you go in a loop and uncover abilities on your player board, the actual game plays differently.

The biggest change (if youā€™re comparing them) is that the loops on GWT are all at your own pace. In Maracaibo when one player hits the final space, everyone ends the round and you all restart from the first space. So thereā€™s a kind of ā€œI really want to take my time so I can do all this stuff, but if I do someone else may shoot ahead, claim some VP and force the next roundā€. It sounds rubbish explained like that, but it makes things interesting.

The way that you can use your cards in different ways is good too. As well as building them for rewards, actions and combos, you can trade them at cities (takes discs off your board), or use them as objects to fulfill quests.

If you choose not to go to cities, you can go to villages, and if you use lots of your possible moves (up to 7 spaces per turn), you can do multiple actions. But then rounds end fasterā€¦ Lots of decisions to makeā€¦

On top of all of that youā€™re fighting for different nations, gaining influence with each for endgame scoring.

I really like both games, but in my opinion thereā€™s definitely space for both on your shelves. And Iā€™ve not even touched the story/legacy mode, which changes the map, adds new cities, all sorts.

2 Likes

Yes. Yes I do!