Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Camomile tea for me, I think.

1 Like

We have another five year old approved game. This is the first card game that has had her thinking on the strategy. Discovering that cards can offer “protection” and that burying another player’s castle piece can delay their victory have been things she was able to observe herself over the course of three playthroughs.

3 Likes

‪Picked up Firefly: the board game at UK games expo - really good fun! Currently playing with myself, and considering a rim job from Fanty and Mingo.‬

‪What?

1 Like

They really ought to pay me a commission…

2 Likes

Visited friends yesterday and Tina took along a bag of games mostly bought at the UK Games Expo and as yet unplayed. In the end we only had time to try one, Tsuro of the Seas.

It went well overall, although I need to have a look at the rules because one vital part seemed highly ambiguous to me. Tina had played the previous game in the series, which doesn’t feature ship-wrecking storm dragons wandering randomly across the board; her initial judgment was that she preferred it to this sequel, but it’s possible to play this one in the same way.

Very quick to play and set up was minimal.

1 Like

I saw the TableTop play of …of the Seas and wasn’t enthused, but I still like the clean mechanics of the original. (With a really terrible explanation of what you do when you run out of tiles, but otherwise well written.)

1 Like

Been playing Jurassic Park pic3950278
It plays well and is pretty scary on either side.

It’s one player playing the predators against the characters trying to escape.

3-4 players play the characters so it’s co-op versus a single player-enemy.
Lots of knife edge victories and defeats.

1 Like

My 1980s-computer-game mind still gets edgy about licenced games. I know that many of them are very good (Firefly is one of my favourites, and I’m very fond of Homeland) but I still have that moment of hesitation.

1 Like

Did not warm to Tsuro when we played it.
Is Firefly meant to be played solo?

It’s not a primary design goal, but it’s certainly possible. The BGG community has come up with ways to adapt the non-solo story cards (win conditions) for solo play.

Grokked King of Tokyo…

Grandson less chuffed.

But we both loved Boss Monster…

2 Likes

I played Boss Monster once and found it quite swingy and take-that-ish – which isn’t my usual taste, though I wouldn’t claim that makes it a bad game.

Nice tablecloth! Have you managed to find a globe-spanning game to play with that map yet?

I don’t mind swingy take that games.

It’s a great tablecloth, from Dunelm by the metre?

Last night, my eldest child and I played Princess Jing with the advanced rules, and had a great time. I spent a while trying to entice them to move their princess where she’d be paralyzed, and, when they did, used that information to collect information about the two animals I needed to match. I hadn’t realized that they already had all the information they needed, and identified their princess to take a second turn and win right before they would have won!

3 Likes

I’ve set up Antike II for a four player game in which I shall assume the mantle of leadership for all of the contesting peoples. I’m doing this in order to teach myself the game and devise cunning stratagems with which to best my friends. :smirk:

6 Likes

[Edit: this was a new thread I made in honour of the one from the old SUSD forums that was about to die, and at the time I didn’t spot that one already existed. So that’s why this reply’s preamble makes no sense.]

(nobody done it yet? can I do it? is that ok?)

An idea shamelessly stolen from the SUSD forum that was shamelessly stolen from somewhere else that became so massive that it will probably reach its 10,000 reply limit and get automatically closed in the few days left before the SUSD forum bites the dust.

Describe the last game (or session of games!) that you played!

I just finished a Tabletop Simulator game of Small World which could arguably be described as “one of those modules that’s just too cleverly scripted”. Every now and then a stack of chits would partially sink into the table and disappear, or the row of available races/abilities would inexplicably collapse in on itself when you tried to move everything down a notch to fill up the space. But, as with almost everything on TTS that I’ve seen so far, despite all of these hiccups, it was miles more fun than it had any right to be.

A five player game, with one who’d never played before, and we had two hours of good solid fun despite a bit of disparity in the scores. The top three were very close, I was a moderately distant fourth, and our first timer was a fairly distant fifth. But I always forget how much fun I have with this game before I start playing and it always brings joy once the crazy combinations start presenting themselves.

So what did you play last?

3 Likes

I can’t believe you didn’t choose one of the many titles suggested for the next thread! :rofl:

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Your Last Played Game (volume1)
You Won’t Believe What They Are Playing… CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT!
Game Publishers Can’t Stand When We Talk About…
Their Partner Asked For A Divorce After Playing This Game… AND SUED FOR CUSTODY

1 Like

Yeah sorry, I totally chickened out. I thought I was being ballsy enough simply through the act of unilaterally being the one to start it off again!

1 Like

I like the Volume 2 touch… very delicate

Opinions on folding this into the existing Recent Boardgames thread?

1 Like