Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Husband and I are on vacation for the next week. On the flight out, we followed our usual tradition of playing one of the 60-minute Unlock puzzle games on the plane. We have so many piled up at home and haven’t played one in so long because of the pandemic! I’ve been wanting to play one and he has kept insisting we could only play them on airplanes, in airports, or otherwise traveling. Hmph!

Anyway, for our first jump back in to Unlock in over a year and a half, we did the middle level adventure from the Timeless set, Arsène Lupin and the Great White Diamond. It was a pretty good one. The theme was engaging enough and held the puzzles together while the puzzles were fun and generally the right level of difficult for a middle rated box. There were a few puzzles it took us a bit to work out, one we had to get the apps to tell us a that once it did we could see what we should have done, and only one - a visual one - that we had to have the app tell us and once it did we still can’t really see what we were supposed to do but it was a quick and direct little visual puzzle that we didn’t spend long on so no real frustration involved.

5 Likes

Got together with some friends at the weekend to play experience U-BOOT.

In the 4 hours we spent playing the first training mission we:

1. Failed to find our first target despite being in the precise location,

2. Eventually gave up and went to find our second target,

3. This time we found it but overshot it,

4. We turned around and overshot it again,

5. We fired a torpedo and missed,

6. We fired another torpedo and sunk it.

Rather than try and find our next target, we instead sat out the last 8 hours of in game time and just tried to keep the crew alive and the boat from sinking.

Submarining is hard.

11 Likes

Games Night last night, we did squeeze two long ish games. Played Evil Dead 2 first between 4. Fun hidden traitor game, full of memorabilia from the movie, which I had forgotten half of it by now (I think I haven’t seen the movie since the early 2000s). We did manage to win even if Ash turned deadite on us when we were trying to close the portal. It did resemble a lighter version of Cthulhu:Death May Die, but with the corruption cards thrown in to get hidden traitor dynamics.

That finished a lot earlier than I expected, so we ventured for a game of Concordia. When we were setting up a fifth player joined, and that lengthened the game till quarter to eleven, so pardon the yawning. I was first player, which I don’t particularly like, and through the whole game I found my engine lacking, I kept being blocked out from the wine cities. By the time we were reaching the end of the deck of cards, the new player was clearly getting away gathering Jupiter cards no end. I was rallying behind, but with so many players locations fill up very quick.

I was holding on with my Mauretania/Gallia prefecting, which was supplying me cloth and brick, so I went for the Weaver card, but I did not manage to build the last city in far East Syria. Still, valuable cloth to trade and buy cards with, which got me a second position in the end with 77 points. The leader got away with over 100, and all the other players were at 50s and 60s, so not too bad overall.

2 Likes

Yeah. Going first on Concordia isn’t that pretty to many. You put out an Architect and then everyone will go Diplomat. The good alternatives I’ve found so far would be:
Tribune - put out a person or a ship, which you can travel with 3 moves on your Architect.
Senator - if you have some cheap cards to grab that will work with your plan.
Mercator - works if you want 2 or 3 cities on Turn 2

Which then forces the Architect on the 2nd player.

It’s not the end of the world though, especially if you can build 2.

3 Likes

Funny enough, only one person Diplomated my first Architect. And then a bit later, when I bought a funky 5 money Mercator, nobody Diplomated him much either…

Sounds Groovy

3 Likes

Spent the last week on a small holiday and played games for the first time in ages. Got some quick games of No Thanks, Lost Cities and LAMA in as a warm up. Then had a nice game of London, which was the first time playing it at home with wife and kiddo. They both liked it enough to play it again which is a result.

8 Likes

Local games group online foundered slightly on one player’s technical problems, but we did get in BGA Concept (I still prefer “Street Concept” rules but the visual setup is pleasing) and The Crew.

3 Likes

Just played two games of Regicide solo, after being inspired by the PBF here. What a nifty little game. Definitely some luck involved, as if you have a bad draw, there is not much you can do about it (barring the solo rules for Jokers).

I lost the first game after getting to the first King, but managed to win the second. Took both of the Jokers, but got a lucky draw near the end of the game, getting the King of Clubs in hand, with enough other cards to finish off the King of Hearts, revealing the final card as the King of Spades. Finished it off with the King of Clubs for the win. Definitely pays off to try to defeat the castle cards exactly so they go to the top of the tavern deck.

4 Likes

So, with the prospect of having to go on lockdown from last midnight, last night I had a go at Spirit Island again, as I foresee a lot of solo playing the next few days ahead.

Used Lightning Strikes and Rampant Spread of Green against a non-national invaders set.

Gosh, was that close. One of the closest games I’ve had, managed to steal the win with one blight left, and only after I had to reconsider leaving one of Lightning’s powers as slow, or I would have lost before the invaders turn (second card of level 3). Initially I did manage well the unrelenting invasion, with Lightning causing mayhem amongst the northern half of its island, and with Rampant struggling a tad more. Actually it was through its half of the island that the blight card spun, so there things became really hairy very soon.

Forced to try and amass as many powers as I could as soon as possible, some of the heavy hitters started rolling, and fear started to mount up, and this time the fear cards were so helpful. But Lightning presence started to wane, and reaching the northern tip of the island shore was a struggle. Luckily Rampant started to gain momentum and clean its half of the island towards the end, giving me some of a breather, and finally a well timed flood destroyed the last city, making the invaders leg it for their lives.

If only they knew how close they were to obliterate the spirits through blight. But they never will.

1 Like

I played 2 solo cases of Awkward Guests to figure out the rules for solo—still have no idea how a multiplayer works due to solo being guided by the app. Lost the first case, well more of a „got lost“ but figured out the second. I feel like I am getting very little hard information here and must infer a lot more from the void than most deduction games. F.e. In Cryptid there is no room for error, everything has to fit just so and by the time you guess you do not guess, you have deduced it all. I wasn‘t exactly „guessing“ the solution in the second case but my information was „softer“ more distributed and uneven… wow this is difficult to explain. Anyway, I like it. Now to figure out how this is supposed to work with multiple players. And since I haven‘t owned a Cluedo like deduction game since giving away Kill Dr Lucky earlier this year… it fits right in here.

3 Likes

Another quick one: a friend recently gifted me his copy of the (nigh-ancient) Death Angel card game (the Warhammer 40K fully co-op one).

The twist here is that I owned this game when it initially released, and then passed it along when I lost six or seven games. Having been given this one I figured, hey, what the heck, I’ll give it a stab… and won! On my last Marine, granted, but still, I was pretty surprised. I don’t think I ever came close previously.

The Marine with the Assault Cannon (who gets to attack 3 times) was totally useless (the die has a 50/50 chance of you killing an enemy each roll, so statistically he should be killing 1.5 Genestealers every time he attacks, but he managed to only kill 1 in over seven or eight attack cards), but the sergeant with the power sword compensated by incredibly improbable defenses (50/50 chance to kill an attacking Genestealer, and at least twice killed 3 or 4 in a single defensive round). A neat little game solo, although I can’t imagine playing it multiplayer.

I have a few thousand words to write today, and then I’m going to paint some minis, and then do some chores, and then play another game of Warp’s Edge. If somebody had told me two years ago I would ever play a solo game aside from Astra Titanicus, I’d have laughed at them…

4 Likes

Introduced my buddy to GMT’s Sekigahara the other day. He is in the middle of some upheaval in his personal life, so deciding the fate of Sengoku Japan seemed like just the thing to keep his mind off of it for a little while. I played Ishida Mitsunari, commander of the Western Army, and he played Tokugawa Ieyasu, leader of the Eastern Army.

The nice thing about Sekigahara is that it’s a fairly simple game as these things go, so despite my rustiness, we were able to start after a not-too-long rules explanation/refresher. Unlike my previous played game, which eerily followed the actual events of 1600 very closely, this one was way different. My large force in the east, led by the unpredictable daimyo Uesugi Kagekatsu, never really felt any loyalty to me until late in the campaign (as represented by my hand of cards), so I was only able to feint with his forces, rather than fight, for a distressingly long time. As a result, Tokugawa was able to occupy quite a lot of supply centers and castles in the center of the board, giving him a card draw and reinforcement advantage for what proved to be the rest of the game.

Nevertheless, my troops in the West were able to hold their own, and I was able to successfully defend Kyoto and Osaka (which housed the Toyotomi heir, Hideyori) until the end of the seventh week when Tokugawa won by controlling the bulk of the land. As a thematic end to the game, I turned both Ishida’s and Hideyori’s blocks face-down to indicate that they had committed seppuku.

Playing Sekigahara again really made me wonder why I haven’t played it more often. It’s beautiful to look at, and has a thematically elegant card-dependent action system that really captures the flavor of the fragile and shifting loyalties of the various clans comprising the samurai armies of the period. Plus, with its rigid seven turn limit, it doesn’t take a very long time to play when compared to most strategic scale wargames. Fortunately, he really enjoyed it, so I think we’ll play it again pretty soon. :grin: :+1:t3:

10 Likes

Sekigahara is one of GMT games that I don’t like, I love. It’s spectacular.

The other, for those keeping score, is Space Empires 4X, affectionately described to many customers as “The most fun I’ve ever had filling out spreadsheets.”

But yeah, Sekigahara is such a brilliant fencing-match of a game with bluffing, push-your-luck, and clever counterplays that I occasionally forget it’s also a bloody brilliant wargame.

5 Likes

I snuck in a game of Cloudspire this afternoon, running solo scenario #1 with the Brawnen. This was a notable step up in difficulty from the tutorial mission and I lost definitively with a nice little salting of the wounds right at the end, as I’ll share below. Thankfully it was the kind of twist that had me packing up with a chuckle and a shaking fist threatening “next time”.

This is only my second play of the game, but already I was able to run from setup through teardown in less than 150 minutes, compared to my 4-ish hour affair the first time. I still made rules mistakes here and there, but I was always quick to spot and correct them going forward, which kept things flowing. I still had the books out and at the ready, but spent far less time with my nose in them; the reference sheets are another matter but I expect to use those constantly for many, many games.

Anyway, the win conditions (with a 3-star setup) for the round were to:

1. Destroy all Minuet spires by wave 4
  2. Destroy all enemy spires by wave 4
  3. Destroy the enemy fortress by wave 4

By the beginning of wave 4 I had finally whittled down the lone Minuet spire on the field and was set to take it out for a 1-star victory. Or so I thought, as the final build phase had the enemy building a new one (thankfully on a source well of my choice). There was theoretically still some hope as I placed the new spire right next to my fortress but I had forgotten to roll the event die for the round.

Well don’t I forget that one of the events for the scenario is an attack-buffed enemy hero. And hadn’t I been gleefully ignoring said hero as its blows glanced harmlessly off his armour? And hadn’t I taken that so for granted that I tucked my hero into a nice inescapable corner to chip away at that other Minuet? And shouldn’t I perhaps have taken the immediate loss condition of a dead allied hero into consideration? Particularly while they hold the initiative for the wave?

Roll. Buff. Thwack. Game over. I didn’t even have the chance to lose by general ineffectiveness. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Iberian Gauge - Holland’s leasing mechanism here took prominence as we played our first game of Iberian Gauge. It was the typical “invest and shares” bit, but what makes it different to other Cube Rails is that the leasing mechanism allows this synergies between companies that are close to each other. Since they can borrow Company B’s rail tracks by playing them a fee. And since money circulates between these companies, it’ll be difficult for them to run dry. This is interesting when you have even just a share in Company A and you want Company B to be a parasite and siphon money out of A. You simply, as a shareholder, keep leasing B’s tracks.

Very interesting. Will be playing it more and see how it fares with my group.

Age of Industry - really good re-design of the OG Brass. And Wallace did many good ideas in this. The tiles now score flipped or unflipped! But you have to flip them to get money, because there’s no start of the round income in here - and guess what, you start the game with NO money.

So in AoI, you play by building stuff. You get more money back by flipping stuff. And then you spend more money by building more stuff. And so on and so on. I didn’t expected this economic snowball to go down as well with me.

The game also has taking/paying loans as free actions. Another welcome change. You don’t have to contend with tedious Euro nonsense of action efficiency. However, the loans are nice as they keep eating your score (aka money) the more you keep your loans on.

So the game then is more about spatial positioning and less bean counting. It still has Brass’s supply-and-demand system that I like. But the map we played (Germany) felt a bit loose. I will play more to see if we just played with the wrong map or I can get away with solitaire play like in Brass B

So far, Brass L >>>>> AoI >>> Brass B.

Feudum - this game is a mess. The game’s UI is eye-rolling. “Wait, is that a ferry for 2 shillings? (Stands, archs over the table, and squints) Ah yes it is.”
“Wait, which inventions can go through here again? (Stands, archs over the table, and squints) Ah subs and ships.”
“Which type of area does the noble guild prefers? (Stands, archs over the table, and squints) Ah yes, towns”
I hate it when beauty of the art comes first before usability. It’s quite clear that the artist hired was more into illustrations than graphics design (two different skills).

Loads of small rules here and there. I hate the "ah yes, that’s right, but in this case…. in the ruleset. I cannot imagine myself bringing this to anyone and teach it to them singlehandedly.

And yet, it’s one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played this year! There’s so much open field to play creatively. (Think A Feast for Odin and Fields of Arle). And despite the wide playing field, you will always end up bumping into each other. Either in the map or in the guilds, because everyone is everywhere (well, not really, but I am exaggerating).

I have talked about how much I love Ginkgopolis because you have a Euro with mechanisms after mechanisms yet they all mesh together so well. Same here in Feudum. The guilds, the action and exploration cards, the board. Oh man! There’s an economy going on in Feudum (but no trains! :frowning: ) within the guilds where goods travel around the guilds in a circular fashion. And since the goods are pushed or pulled by players, you can see high tide and low tide on each guild as you shuffle them around. Now you’re thinking if you wanna stick there long term in your guild or do you wanna switch to an abundant guild and push stuff to get loads of pts.

The map is also very engaging. The pawns and areas can determine your strength in the guilds. You can see the map being alive as player shuffle along and improving the lands or fighting over them. Other than the exploration cards and the random resource spawn, the game pretty much leaves you alone. And because of that, you’re pretty free to go nuts and do whatever you want. It’s just that your friends will never leave you alone as you all fight over the map and the guilds.

I love this game a lot. But I think I can only play this game with @EnterTheWyvern or a few friends of mine - whom have their own copies. And I am more than happy to just ride along.

8 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoyed it. It is indeed a bit of a hot mess, but there’s MAGIC in that box! I’m in the opposite, and worse, position: I need folks like you to ride along and enjoy my copy!

3 Likes

Played two games of Kingdomino last night with my wife. We did not use any of the variant scoring options. First game went okay, but it was obvious my wife was going to win with her large swamp, and she did, 45 - 34.

The second game was just horrendous. For me. I made a pretty good showing with mines and woods, while she just rocked the plains and grasslands. Final score was an embarrassing 62 - 31.

3 Likes

Let’s Summon Demons , first play. Part of a KS (not mine) from Steven Rhodes Games. Steven Rhodes is known for his reimagining of children’s books from the 70s and 80s. The three games in the pack are Let’s Summon Demons, Let’s Dig for Treasure, and Don’t Talk to Strangers. Based on Let’s Summon Demons, these are all quite light games, possibly intended for non-gamers. In LSD, the object of the game is to summon three demons. You collect souls, which allows you to buy cards from the market, which give an ability and a value. Whenever anyone rolls the value, you get the action. You can discard normal character cards to bring out a demon. Nice presentation, with funky round cards (don’t think they make sleeves for that). As I said, it’s pretty light, but doesn’t outstay it’s welcome. Eventually one of the other players got an “I win” card, with an activation value of 2. And in a couple more turns, she rolled it, and winner winner chicken dinner.

Cascadia , first play. Been keen to get this going. For some reason last weekend I chose to play Arkham: Final Hour instead – what was I thinking? Cascadia refers (obviously) to the western North American region, bound by the Pacific on one side, and the Rocky Mountains on the other. Yeah, I didn’t know that either. Game is pretty easy to explain. There are five different region types: Mountains, Forests, Prairies, Wetlands, and Rivers. Tiles can have up to two regions. Each tile will also show the animals that can be on that tile. Animals are Bear, Elk, Salmon, Hawk, and Fox. Every game will have the same five animals, but there are scoring cards for each one, showing how you will score for them. We used the recommended A set for a first game. Basically, Bears scored for pairs, Elk for straight lines, Salmon for contiguous runs, Hawks for being by themselves, and Foxes for unique animals next to them. There are four different scoring cards for each animal, plus one more promo from the KS (I didn’t back it, just bought it). There’s also a family variant card, with simple rules for all five animal types.

There’s always a market of four habitat tiles, with each tile having a random wildlife token. So, you take both, and then add them to your environment. You start with a starter habitat of three tiles. No particular rules for placement, as long as one side connects the new tile. You don’t need to match types – but you will get points at the end for your largest contiguous area in each terrain type. Also, you can get bonus points for having the largest area for each type.

And, that’s about it. Take a tile and a token, add them to your tableau. Simple to play, but there’s a few combinations to run through. There are specially marked tiles, and when you add a token to it, you receive a nature token. Nature tokens will allow you to refresh the display, and also to take any combination of tile and token. Very very useful at times.

So the whole game you’re trying to balance your points, obviously getting as many points as possible from each animal. It was a pretty close game, scores were 94/88/84. Great game, it’s a keeper.

The Crew

Scout! , first play. This is a yet another ladder style game, where you play cards, and the next player has to beat that, and you keep going around. But it’s another of those “can’t rearrange your cards” games (like Dealt, which I played a few weeks ago). Each card has a main value, and another secondary value. If you turn the card, the values swap. When you get your hand of cards, you can turn them all around – just once, and only directly after the deal. There are only two types of hand to play – same value, or sequences of cards. You can only play adjacent cards from your hand. Sets of the same value are ranked higher than sequences of the same size. And that’s about all you have to remember. There’s a power lookup card with the game, but you really don’t need it.

So what’s the gimmick? If you can’t beat the current set of cards, you do a “scout” action, where you take either the first or last card from the current set of cards, and add that to your hand, anywhere you want, and you can swap the numbers. This (obviously) gives you more options, and the current set is reduced, making it easier to play again. The owner of that original set you scouted gets a VP if anyone uses their cards. The round is over when someone plays all their cards out, or (more often), everyone has scouted and it comes back to the same player.

As you play a new set of cards, you take the old one as points. At the end of the round, you’ll score these, and anything still in your hand counts as negative points.

I sort of stuffed up the game, we dealt out the cards and found we didn’t have enough. Turned out I had sleeved two cards into one sleeve – doh! Not just once ever, I managed to do it four times. We were keen to play, so we just continued with some naked cards. I thought the game was worth protecting, since its a Japanese import. I got my copy thru Morethanmeeples, a Brisbane based shop.

Batman:The Animated Series – Gotham City Under Siege , first play. This is a co-operative game, where the players have to defend Gotham City against waves of bad guys. You can play as Batman (duh), Robin, Commissioner Gordon, Batgirl, or Catwoman. There are four Acts, with multiple cards for each act that you randomly select. The act card show you how many story cards are used, how many masterminds, and how many villains to place in the city. Each character has a deck of six cards, you draw two cards, and choose one of them to play in the current act. The game board is quite cool, you have nine cardboard buildings to place. But the game doesn’t really use the buildings, enemies will be placed north, south, east, and west of the city. Your heroes can move to one of these, or take to the rooftops, which allows you to attack any direction.

Normally, each hero will have four dice (you can get bonus dice as well). You roll your dice, place one, then re-roll, until all your dice are placed. Dice can be played on your player board, skill cards, and story cards. Story cards may have a penalty for not defeating them – usually destroying a building.

There is a track for Gotham City, which tracks civilian casualties (you lose if it gets to zero), explosions (again, you lose if it reaches zero), and a bat signal (which allows you to modify a dice roll).

Any enemies left on a battlefield get to attack the city, once per stack of villains. Villains are stacked by rank, thugs are level one, henchmen two, ninjas three, and masterminds have a value of four. So you could have four attacks on the buildings in one go, which I thought would make even the first act pretty hard. But, we got thru the first two acts fairly easily, defeated all the villains, so there was no attack from you. In Act 3 we lost a couple of buildings. The last act was pretty epic, our civilian track was down to one, we lost another building, and we lost. Took a lot longer than I thought – I figured it would be another quick dice roller like Ghostbusters:Blackout (same publisher, IDW). But there was so much more to this game. It was pretty good fun, and not quite as I expected.

Goat ‘n’ Goat , first play, and it’s another Japanese import game. It’s a bit of a filler, not much to it, but we liked it. The cards are all goats, with values from one through five, and in three different colours. On your turn, you play as many cards as you like of the same value (we’re not actually sure if you have to play cards, or if it’s optional). Cards are added to existing cards of that colour, BUT if you play a lower card than one you already have, the entire flock is discarded (and become penalty points), and the new cards replace them. There’s a market of six cards, and you will draw according to the value of card you just played. Played all your ones, you only get to draw one new card. And finally, you can trade your flock of a colour into mountain cards, which are just VPs, from three to nine. So I guess it’s sort of push your luck, do you cash in early and get a lower VP value, or hang on for more. We didn’t get close to the eight and nine point cards. I lost pretty badly, just too many penalty cards at the end.

8 Likes

My wife and I played Istanbul today, using the Mocha and Baksheesh expansion for the first time. This adds coffee to the game, along with four new location tiles, more bonus cards, and introduces guild cards, which take up your entire turn to use, but often can reproduce what you could do in a turn, but without needing to move to the location and/or involving a discount or bonus.

It was a very close game, but my wife pulled off the win, 6 gems to 5, and I would have gotten my sixth on the next turn, but since I was the first player, the game was over. I like the new mechanisms. They are easy to incorporate, and I really appreciate that everything fits into the original box easily. Don’t see a reason not to use it all the time going forward.

5 Likes