Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Another round of Lost Ruins of Arnak on the Snake Temple, but this time the loss was mine. We’re back to parity after last game’s unusual blowout, and this was a particularly hot race.

Final score was 70-65 for my partner, and we can point to the error I made to lose it. For some reason on my second to last turn I bought a stone tablet before attempting to buy the tool card I could afford. This allowed my partner to snap it up, netting her 3 points and denying me the same. Oh, the 68-67 victory that could have been. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Played a few games of Coffee Roaster, which was a birthday gift. It’s delightful! I have a hard time actually recommending it, though, because the number of interesting decisions, and the amount those decisions are determinative of your final score, is pretty low. Every round you draw some chips from a bag, maybe use one or gasp two flavor tokens, roast the remaining tokens and throw them back in the bag, rinse and repeat until you’re ready to pour. And yet, the act of pulling the tokens from the bag, especially for the “cup-testing” phase where you pull one at a time and choose whether to set it aside or add it to the cup, is so peaceful and relaxing that it makes me want to play it every morning with a cup of coffee. Which is interesting only because I don’t like coffee.

If I was judging the two games for a contest, I would say Warp’s Edge is definitively the better solo bag-builder. It has more decisions, more replay value, more actual bag-building, and feels like a finely tuned engine. But, I don’t actually want to play Warp’s Edge, because I find it boring. It’s a really, really, really simple deck-building game, just with tokens instead of cards because if it was cards people would think it was too simplistic. Coffee Roaster feels distinct and interesting, even if you aren’t really playing a game like 80 percent of the time, and the “bag-building” conceit feels earned, and even a little bit thematic.

6 Likes

I ended up working several hours over the weekend to support a customer’s project go-live, I opted to take some compensation-time this morning and spend it with my partner. We dropped our kids off at her parents’ house and went on a brunch-date to the local boardgame cafe that opened about a year ago, attached to our preferred FLOGS (that is, Friendly Local Overpriced Game Store, where you can pay full MSRP for a game and then pay 10.5% in local and state sales tax). I had decadently-sweet banana-pudding-topped waffles, whereas my partner opted for the decadently-sweet strawberries-in-glaze-topped waffles. Neither required or warranted syrup and, in fact, likely could have used a bit less sweetness.

Waffley-abominations aside, we also took a few minutes to peruse their excellent selection of games; seemingly a combination of donations, returned-and/or-damaged inventory from attached FLOGS, and probably some items recovered from the boardgame cafe that opened in late 2019 and then closed promptly when the pandemic sent the local economy into a freefall. Our plan all along was to play a short game, try out the food of the new cafe, and enjoy each others’ company – in the hour and a half that we had to spare before heading back to pick up the kids and get them home in time for lunch-and-nap afternoon routine.

So, being the primary boardgame enthusiast of the two of us, it was for me to suggest or approve games that:

1. we could figure out how to play in the time we had
  2. wasn’t already in our collection
  3. would appeal to my partner

That was quite the tall order; if a game was something I was interested enough to somewhat know how it plays, chances are it’s already on my shelf. This was an opportunity to play something we didn’t already own and I was looking to make the most of it (though I spotted a few games that we already owned and considered taking the opportunity to introduce it to my partner).

We landed on Shadows: Amsterdam. And then I opened the box and started reading that with 2 or 3 players it’s a coop game… so I put that back. By this time, our food had come and so I quickly grabbed Cubitos, hoping that the SUSD review would frame the game sufficiently that we could get it setup, learned and played quickly enough.

We were about half of the way around to track when it was time for us to think about leaving. We packed the game away. My partner said she liked it, but I didn’t bother to ask her if she thought we needed it. I’ll probably put it on my wishlist for my birthday/Christmas, and my partner may see it on there and buy it simply because we played it (she’s always wary of having to learn new games).

I felt like the game was over-wrought for what it actually did. I wanted to chuck handfuls of interesting dice and get lots of interesting decisions. But I didn’t and I didn’t. The recommended starter cards, perhaps, are fairly dry… but I don’t see how it could be better than Quacks.

5 Likes

Heart of Africa - another game from Andreas Steding. I’ve been crossing off the list of his games and I got this one brand new in shrink for cheap. And, woah, this game got to be one of the most original old school Euro games I’ve ever seen. There is no turn order. Yes. No turn order and it’s possible, in theory, to take two turns or more in a row. But that is determined by a one-round auction in a closed economy (similar to Knizia’s Orongo or Dream Factory) and then may do actions based on the two action tiles that are put up for auction for that round. Do some actions and then score pts for holding territories which can change value according to the market track.

But then, you’re like “Then wouldn’t that cascade into a runaway winner problem?”

No. Because all the money that was spent from the auction and throughout the round will be divided into all other players (excluding the active player). Player A will soon run out of momentum (if they haven’t already after their one turn). And have to rest until they can accumulate enough money to compete for the turn’s auction.

Steding - just like in his other games - is pretty good at allowing long-term planning. The auction for the action tiles consist of 4 pairs of action tiles, but you only bid for the top ones. And then bid for the 2nd row next turn and so on. So, players can see 3 turns ahead on how many action pts and which actions they can fight for. A player can play the waiting game know that the actions that they want will show up in 2 turns.

It’s such an interesting game. It has area control combat based on blind bidding. They can try to fight with the bids, but one can bid with a retreat tile and then TAKE the winner’s blind bid. So, will the losing player bid with a retreat or are you gonna bid low so not to give too much. But then, they might think you’ll bid low, which allows them to compete as they have enough money to outbid a low one. Oh, mind games.

But the game felt a bit rough on the edges. I need to play it more. We played with the short game so we didn’t see long term development. But it seems to suffer on runaway loser problem where the player getting dunked on will struggle for a while. But not sure.

The theme is such a big no-no on a games club. It talked of traders moving from the coasts of Africa and expands into the interior. Players can send their traders to met other players’ traders or neutral traders and try to outcompete them. And I’m like “Really!?”. It’s quite clear on what this is. These are armies expanding their colonial empires in Africa, fighting off one another or against the non-player natives.

Phalanx’s production of the game is totally abysmal. Misprint on the tiles. Bad rulebook. And the tracks are just stupid. From top are the low values and down to the bottom with the high values. And so when a tile tells me that I drop down one level on my reputation track, is that a good thing or a bad thing??? Ridiculous.

If Steding decided to redesign this to iron out some bumps and have it without the colonial Africa theme, it would be an insta-buy to me.

Die Macher - I was Grüne, and going against FDP, CDU, and SDP.

We started at Bremen for Round 1 (out of 4). We didn’t do so well mainly because we haven’t figured out how the system works to play properly. But Bremen was the tutorial round for us They aren’t into green policies and SDP and FDP seem to be doing well. But since I control the media in the state, I advanced the issue that is against both of these parties. CDU end up on top by default because we all did badly as a result :sunglasses:

Next was Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Here, the Greens seem to dominate the state. The FDP controlled the media and changed an issue to screwed me over. But I remain the winner of the election. Baden-Württemberg. CDU and SDP started off dominating this arena, but the Greens manage to play catch up and went equal footing with both of them. This was a big blow for all 3 competitors. To SDP’s frustration, FDP decided not to screw me over by publishing the polls, and instead opted for increasing the party base for pts, which allowed me to catch up.

Then the last round was Thuringia. I manage to wrestle away the control of the media from a rival, but the state’s issues don’t mesh really well that we didn’t manage to secure enough votes. Still, the big results on the two big states of Round 3 and 4 was enough to secure myself the win.

The table enjoyed the tension and experience of the game. We felt it was thematic but there’s some thematic hiccups here and there. Like, it’s possible for multiple parties to win over 50 votes. But you need a coalition if no party has no 50+ votes. The constant flip-flopping of issues sounds very much like what politicians would do, but felt like it was TOO constant that it’s a bit unrealistic.

The game set in Germany was real enough to make it feel real, yet foreign enough for us that it wasn’t potentially uncomfortable. But our table wasn’t that type of people who would actually take a game personally in that context of playing pretend politicians on a games night.

There are also some weird things about it. The turn order bidding was degenerate. It was a blind bid with the winner paying money to be first, and then the turn order is clockwise. Lame. Our table started talking about ways to house-rule that next time.

The polls was a bit of a internal contention to me. It generated a thrill of possibly swinging the election, but the almost hidden information and the very swingy nature of it felt a bit too much for me. I mean, sure, Dominant Species is swingy and it is one of my favourite games, I agree with you. But I sincerely felt that Die Macher manage to make itself more swingy in terms of determining the outcome of the election.

But there’s a lot to love about the game, for me. There’s a very very good mix of long term and short term goals. It’s a heavy area control with a lot of tension, and many ways to influence the outcome. There’s trade offs to be had and opportunity-cost questions. It’s just fun deciding if you want to accept (cough) big donations and displease the party’s base or refuse it to increase the party base.

One of the players wanted the game, so I’ll talk to him tomorrow if we can reach an agreement. I’ll stick with the longer but wider game of Dominant Species

1 Like

Here’s what a restless teenage game of The Quiet Year, scaled beyond cohesion, looks like on a whiteboard…

Blurred for drug references, violence, and standard teenage nonsense.

11 Likes

Is that an underground water slide?

3 Likes

One of my most memorable / legendary game nights ever. We played the original of this in the late 90s I believe. I was still living with my parents at the time, mobile phones weren’t a thing and when I came home around 2am and my mom was livid. Yelling was involved. But the game itself was awesome–possibly a bit on the dry side. But so different from our usual fare…

I later hunted down a copy of the game (which was rare at the time but then a new printing came and I got one of those, just like Robo Rally). I gave that away a few years ago because nowbody would play with me. Since then I missed out on the reworked modernized Spielworxx version… that I hear good things about.

PS: Winning as Greens in Baden Württemberg is how it should go–we are after all the only state with a Green Ministerpräsident :wink:

4 Likes

That is a really good extension for the acronym. Although mine is giving out 5€ coupons for every 50€ you spend… so I end up buying more games to get my 10% off… but the people are nice and I just enjoy going there and hopefully going to their boardgame night tuesdays once they are held again.

I know of a few publishers who more or less force every place to stick to the same pricing–so sometimes I will just buy those. And in some weird cases FLGS has games at a really good price. It just really depends on their relationship with the publisher I think.

I was under the assumption that FLGS get all the games through intermediary distributors but I have heard FLGS staff mention that they have direct relationships with several big German publishers… so I am confused now if the boardgame business is even weirder here than elsewhere.

3 Likes

Short answer: Yes.
Better answer: In the lore, it is a waterslide in the second of a series of not quite bottomless pits. It is built on to a tower, in the topmost room of which was the entrance to another not quite bottomless pit full of a billion giant ants (who turned out to be the Frost Shepherds).

4 Likes

Well, the modern mainstream boardgaming thing is more established in Germany than other places; so that may explain regional differences.

1 Like

Played Game of Life with my youngest daughter a couple of nights ago (reading the cards and managing the money for her) and I think it is the first time we both got sacked early in the game, which was sort of fun. I was lucky with the houses and won, but it is fun to see her enthusiasm with her pet-peg.

Last night I played a game of Ticket to Ride Europe with the eldest daughter. Such a close game that she could have won easily. Ended 107-105 to my favour, and she could have won if she had connected Frankfurt to München… but she missed the spot and lost the ticket (8 points) plus the 2 points of the route would have put her ahead of me. I was impressed with how she went for the long Baltic tunnel and snatched 21 points on her second attempt. It is a simple game, but plays like that I enjoy, just to see how the children progress on their gaming skills.

1 Like

Aton - an old 2 player Queen game made by the same designer of No thanks and Odin’s Ravens. Pretty tense 2 player game where you’re being pulled on different directions. But you can’t afford to slack on one if your opponent is gaining there.

Go Nuts For Donuts - prefer it over Sushi Go as the blind public drafting is fun and clashes makes some mini memorable moments over Sushi Go’s rather dull solitaire drafting where things become easily calculable.

Whale Riders: the Board Game - light Euro gaming experience in less than an hour. Good wide choices. The race for achievements is fun and pacing is in players’ control the entire time where they can push the game to the end. Will need to play it more because I’m not convinced that it’s a top tier one.

Equinox - reprint of Colossal Arena. Double guessing which 3 creatures will win the tournament is tense. The secret prediction is fun. Not sure if the incentive to reveal your secret prediction to take control of a creature away from another player is worth it. It seems very situational.

Not strategic, but it’s a good light game with very strong player interaction, bluffing, and timing questions. Exactly what I expected from the designer. I might get rid of the stupid insert.

EDIT: what I remember that is better about Colossal Arena is that the FFG Silver Line edition got English text on the creature cards for their special abilities. Plan B’s language independent iconography is just worse.

4 Likes

Would it have been difficult to make the card things a bit deeper so they fit in after I removed the plastic around them? And what is it with the center? Why have a third thing where cards do not fit? Century Spice Road has similar insert weirdness… The box itself though is nice.

I was setting up a game of Equinox today for a test, got distracted first by dinner then by A Wonderful World.

Of that I have now played two solos and half of a three handed learning game. First solo playing as Europa scored 103 points… second solo as Aztecs 42…

2 Likes

Played a couple of games of CuBirds with my inlaws. I was right - right up their street. No ‘take that’ moments (although when someone makes you all discard your hand, it can FEEL personal…) and mostly doing your own thing.

1 Like

We played games with real people!!!

I won Hansa Teutonica and our friend Ashley won Startups. First time we’ve played Startups with adults. It’s really good.

Cold now though. Temperature dropped at 8ish

18 Likes

Had people round for more outdoor games

We started off with a variant of The Climbers which went down so well I think all 3 of them went off and bought their own copies.

Next up was The Crew, which seems to have a name connection. This game is great but we didn’t do very well. I think it’s really easy for people not to get the trick taking sequencing and planning in this one but it’s always fun.

Lastly we played Piepmatz which I was really pleased to play again. As a little card game it’s got enough interesting decisions and you really should watch what others are doing. We also enjoyed the dual language cards. The game sounded better with Deutsche bird names.

14 Likes

This morning I lost Rallyman GT Hockenheimring with an embarrassing half round left for me to drive…

In the afternoon I taught a friend Race for the Galaxy on BGA. I have not played in a while. He won both games. I did really badly :grimacing: At least I won Roll for the Galaxy which I taught him after.

Tonight I got stomped into the ground by my partner in a round of “can we play something where I don’t need to think” Space Base. It was his 45 points to my 14 and I only had 14 points because I was able to shift my last die roll with an arrow to a spot that gave 7 VP and doubled it.

(To complete my day, we played Borderlands 3 on the computer and as soon as my partner left the game (he had a late night meeting), I got beat up by the game.)

I don’t mind, apparently today was not my winning day. Other things were good. And I got to play games.

9 Likes

No matter how many times I play it, I doubt I’ll ever manage to stop misreading “Grünfink” as “Grand Funk”.

4 Likes

And it’s game that is definitely full of Gold Hammers too.

3 Likes

Well no wonder it was cold. Looks like you were playing on the outside of the Death Star.

4 Likes