Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

One of my best friends turns 40 next week (29th), and we had a small gathering (5 of us total) to celebrate.

After roasting some pork loin, veggies, and potatos I attempted semi-successfully to make two roulades (I over-baked both so they were too crispy to properly roll). Those pictures will go in the “What I Ate” thread in a bit. But then we played a few quick games!

We started with Anomia which continues to be a simple joy. Lots of “Uhhh! Uhhh! Seals!” Famous Musician, Aquarium Animal, and two others I can’t remember at the moment… plus I won “Famous Address” by saying “The Gettysburg!” So, ya know, fun times! I gave our copy to Dana (who’s birthday it was) since she had so much fun with it.

Then we tried Spot It (Dobble, I think, everywhere but Canada?) and it was fun as well. Simple twitch-reaction game with a few interesting variations. Adam enjoyed it the most, laughing like a schoolchild the whole time, so I gave my copy to him. Hey, I got it for free, and I work at a game store.

After that we played the always-fantastic Illusion (Warsch is a godsdamned time-travelling super genius. Only explanation for how he makes such fantastic games), and then a few rounds of No Thanks! which is rock-solid fun.

Tonight is the next session of our ongoing bi-monthly D&D campaign (our intrepid heroes are still working through “The Dragon of Icespire Peak” from the Essentials Kit), and that will probably be it until after Xmas… one of the downsides to working a game and toy store in November-December is that the hours get real long and the work ramps up real fast at the same time I will be studying for exams.

9 Likes

Photosynthesis - really simple game but have caused headaches on some people on the table as there’s a lot of look-ahead one needs to do in order to play well. I’m used to that, but it means that the game took longer than it should. It’s a good game that is defo my style. But I don’t think I have the space for it.

I had a look at the expansion Under the Moonlight and it looks utter ****. Seems the designer couldn’t think of a way on how to expand on the existing system, and so designed a roughly similar system and put it on top of the old one.

Senators - aaahhh! Great fun!

6 Likes

Caesar! Seize Rome in 20 Minutes

Caesar (red) demolishing Autocratus in the solo mode:

After a few games today, I feel the solo opponent is successful mainly at making me very eager to play this with proper (human) opponents. This is right up my street, and I wish that I’d played it with people on the weekend.

Edit: Ha, just found I’d glossed over a very important rule. Let’s see if I’m still doing as well tomorrow…

Edit 2: I also just looked on BGG to confirm what was meant by “landlocked”* region in the solo rules, because there isn’t a single landlocked region on the map! It turns out that the writer was very confused, and the intended meaning is the very least-landlocked regions in the game – the islands, and Italy. Unsurprisingly I was playing that bit “wrong” as well. (* Apparently some editions have this text reworded.)

I’ve also now seen it suggested that with the Poison and Centurion expansions in play, the solo opponent feels much better, so I’ll have to add these into the mix.

10 Likes

I was totally going to buy this and then some reviewer or other insisted this was so ugly it was barely playable. I don’t think it is ugly. I mean I am no longer sure this is a game for me but have they successfully forgotten the Age of Beige? I mean sure there is some beige here… but I am sure that is just a respectful reference to the “good old times” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It looks fine to me. I’ve seen worse from other recent releases.

4 Likes

Now that I have a table dedicated to solo gaming, and all three of my children are sleeping through the night, I have been doing more gaming in the evenings.

With the BGG 1 Player Guild’s upcoming Top 200 voting (votes due in a week or less), I decided to do my best to play at least 20 solo games (spoiler: I haven’t and won’t) so that I could have a well-informed fresh impression of these games in order to rank them.

These are their stories:

Merchants of the Dark Road – did not finish. The game’s random setup state and first turn put me in a position to do an AI travel action as the very first thing in the game, which took me about an hour to muddle through. Afterwards, I was pretty sure I messed up at least one thing and I had zero clue what I should be focusing on after that – the action menu is very broad and the game gives you very few nudges in any given direction; capitalizing on the AI’s next travel action would have been where I started… but even that was a bust when it came time for my first turn. I packed the game away after playing a single turn of the AI.

Kanban EV – I set this one up immediately after packing away Merchants of the Dark Road, but it took me two weeks before I had read the rulebook, watched a solo playthrough video, and was confident in the rules enough to proceed with playing the game. The first night of actually playing the game was straight-forward, but I ended up referencing the rulebook a lot for the iconography. I spent the rest of the night printing out a player aid and refreshing myself on the solo rules (specifically). The next time I sat down to play it, I played nearly the entire thing to completely in one sitting; finishing it the next night.

The solo system is so smooth in this game. It’s literally smoother in play than it has any right to be. In general, I tend to not like AI/bots/automas because they just feel arbitrary and unfair; like playing with a drunk friend who you let cheat and do whatever they want just so you have an opponent to play against. The solo Ai in Kanban EV is absolutely not that way. They are predictable and their actions rarely defeat or spoil your plans; more often than not, they just complicate them; so what was a “okay, my next 4 moves need to be W, X, Y, and Z” turns into “okay, my next 5 moves need to be W, X, A, Y, Z” instead.

I thoroughly enjoyed Kanban EV as a solo experience. It is a VERY large, very EXPENSIVE box, though; and I’m not sure how I’m going to feel about it as a multiplayer experience. I’m sure it will be fine… but likely not “great”.

Gentes – I feel as though the “deluxified” components of this game have lost the plot. They seem less practical than the pictures/videos I’ve seen of the normal components. The game itself is an action-efficiency euro with some clever resource management. It’s actually a worker placement game, but instead of worker placement, it’s a action-removal mechanism.

I struggled to get an efficiency engine to “sing”, so I lost and didn’t really know how I could have done better.

This one I would definitely prefer multiplayer, I think; but I wonder how good it would be even as that?

AuZtralia – I picked this up on recommendation of my former neighbor. I was amazed at how solid of an experience this game is. I’m sure the multiplayer feels similar, but the solo experience was just outstanding. In the same way that a good deck-builder game asks players to perform a shift between “building your deck” and “winning the game,” without explicitly forcing that player to with a gamestate change; there’s nothing that separates the early game of AuZtralia, where you are building your rails and farms and collecting resources, to the mid-game where the Old Ones wake up and start threatening your infrastructure, and the end-game where you are trying to hold on, hunker down and just survive until the end.

The game creates a natural arc with nothing more than a few discs on a time track. Early on, mobilizing your military is fast and effective. But later in the game, you’ll want to mobilize more and more types of units, which means you’ll be taking 6 time to deal with that one Old One, while the Old Ones can march half-way across the map in that same time.

The tension is incredible, but it didn’t feel oppressive. I went from, early in the game, thinking “I must be doing something wrong; this is so easy!” to later thinking, “Oh, I’ve made mistakes, this is going to be impossible!” to, at the end, thinking “I must have missed a rule somewhere… I… survived!”

I wanted to put Architects of the West Kingdom on my table next… but… I cannot find it.[1] It’s lost on my shelves somewhere, I guess. So I have Paladins of the West Kingdom half-setup now, instead.

: sometimes?

EDIT:
[1]: Stand down, everyone. The game in question has been found.

12 Likes

I think the best reason not to buy Caesar! is Samurai! which plays similar at 2 but also has the 3 and 4 player expansions which actually change the game up quite a bit.

Of course, the best reason to still buy Caesar! is Knizia! and his white-knuckle grasp of his publishing rights along with the cantakerous mechanic, which means you can buy Meow! but not Samurai, or Tigris, or Through the Sausage, or Yellow & Yangtze, or The Confrontation, or Taj Mahal, or…

4 Likes

I haven’t heard of this one. Silly joke, or weird autocorrect?

4 Likes

Be prepared for a Kanban experience. Several rules readthroughs and a lot of fiddles that end up in an actually smooth and satisfying solo experience. I’m not sure I’d every play this game with PEOPLE but I’m eager to solo it more.

Separately, broke out Just One. Delightful! Not sure I prefer it to Codenames or Decrypto but it’s solid. Some highlights:

Poutine - Hockey - Bieber = Canada. But the guesser passed. We were all screaming.
Bean - Twine - Cat = String. …this was possible but such a stretch we were dying laughing as the guesser scratched his head for five minutes and we insisted he could get there. He guessed “ball” and we talked about bean balls the rest of the weekend.
Snowhite = Dwarf - after my wife and I Gimli’d each other out of the game and a long discussion about whether Snow White was one word and how many W’s it had, the guesser just nailed it. I knew I should have gone Thorin but wasn’t sure how deep the guesser could go.

5 Likes

@Yashima can correct me…

durch die Wüste = Through the Desert
durch die Wurst = Through the Sausage

But to anglo ears it’s almost imperceptible.

Maybe it’s just me, but on forums like Reddit and BGG I rarely hear it referred to as anything other than Through the Sausage anymore?

11 Likes

So homophone silly joke for the win!

8 Likes

That is correct. Also, everything Wurst is great. You might say „Durch die Würste“ because Wurst is singular and Würste is plural. And more Wurst is better.

9 Likes

Oh, you Germans and your silly words.

Because English is so superior with our three different pronunciations of the letters ‘ough’ as shown in ‘through’, ‘though’, and ‘tough’. I guess ‘plough’ would make four.

/s, in case it wasn’t obvious.

8 Likes

Also “cough”.

7 Likes

Good call. It’s close to ‘tough’, but juuuuust different enough.

5 Likes

I guess each language has its things. You need silly stuff like that if it is not with sounds it is with something else. In Spanish we have always the same basic pronunciation for every letter, but we mess you lot with a million different verbal tenses and modes.

4 Likes

The English are degenerates for dropping accents on their letters.

5 Likes

Which goes right out the window for “hiccough”.

6 Likes

English certainly is a challenge. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.

11 Likes

I find it interesting to see which version of “ou” people default to when presented with an unfamiliar word, like Kouki.

3 Likes