Quest recruitment and game 1

I demoed a little bit of Quest at Essen, and brought a copy home with me. Social deduction in the Resistance/Avalon style, but with substantial changes to the gameplay (e.g. no mission voting). Anyone interested? I’m happy to moderate.

(No public official rules file because Indie is weird about that, but I will be using the Director’s Cut, and will explain everything.)

Sure. Why not ??

I’ll give it a try

Something else that @RossM and I can argue over? I’m in!

2 Likes

I will pass, I have been playing too much PBF lately, I will remain reserve so others can have the opportunity.

Count me in, please.

I’ll throw my hat in this ring.

I’ll join in if there’s space :slight_smile:

I will also join if there’s space but I’ll need to learn the rules

2 Likes

Ok, that’s seven, so three spaces left.

Right then. This is Director’s Cut Quest, with 7 players.

There will potentially be 5 quests: 3, 2, 3A, 4A (2 fails needed to fail it), 3. “A” indicates that an Amulet will come into play after that quest.

We will start with a random Leader. They choose the set number of players to go on that quest; they may, but need not, include themselves. They pick one of those players to receive the Magic token.
Secretly, each player on the guest plays a Succeed or Fail card. Good characters, and characters with the Magic token, must play Succeed (see roles for exceptions). One played Fail is normally enough to make the whole quest fail.
The Leader then chooses the next Leader (can’t have been a Leader, or an Amulet recipient), and if appropriate an Amulet recipient (can’t have been a Leader, or an Amulet recipient, or the next Leader).
The Amulet recipient, if any, may check the loyalty (Good/Evil) of any player who hasn’t either (a) received an Amulet or (b) previously been checked by an Amulet.
Continue to next round.

If three Quests have succeeded, Good wins hurrah.
If three Quests have failed, there’s a discussion phase, after which the Blind Hunter may choose whether to start the Hunt (or say nothing and stay hidden).

• If they do, they reveal themselves, and must identify two Good players (including the Cleric) and their specific role (Duke, Archduke and Apprentice may be identified as Loyal Servants of Arthur). If so, Evil wins; otherwise Good wins.
  • If they do not start the hunt, we proceed to Good’s Last Chance. Simultaneously, each player points at two others. If every Evil player is being pointed at by a Good player, and no Good player is being pointed at by a Good player, Good wins; otherwise Evil wins. (Evil pointing doesn’t count for anything; it’s only done so that in the physical game it’s not obvious that someone isn’t preparing to point.)

Roles in this game will be:

• Cleric (Good; you know whether the first Leader is Good or Evil)
  • Youth (Good; if the Magic token is played on you, you must play a Fail)
  • Duke (Good; during the Last Chance you may cancel an accusation)
  • Minion of Mordred (×2) (Evil; knows who all Evil players are)
  • Morgan le Fey (Evil; knows who all Evil players are, and is immune to the Magic token)
  • Blind Hunter (Evil; does not know other Evil players; chooses whether to start the Hunt and chooses its targets)

I have not passed out roles yet, so now is a good time to ask questions.

I looked through the player aid on BGG and I have two questions:

1. Can Amulets only be given to a player who is not/has not previously been the Leader?
  2. In the case of a hunt, I think it mentioned that the Blind Hunter must identify the Cleric. Is this correct, and, if so, is this in addition to two good players or is it 1 + Cleric?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve corrected the post above, but:

1. Yes. During the game, you can be the Leader once or receive an Amulet once, or neither if the game ends soon enough.
  2. Cleric + 1 other.

What are magic tokens?

There is one magic token; it’s in the gift of the Leader each round.

1 Like

Ok. Amulet and magic confused me.

Confused on Magic tokens. So it flips the Youth from pass to fail, and it flips all Evil players except Morgan le Fey from Fail to Succeed? And on everyone else, it has no effect?

Also what does “cancel an accusation” mean for the Duke? Like after everyone points but before anything is revealed, you can basically put one person’s arm down?

Correct.

Yes. One good player, all the evil arms are down already.

Wait, so everyone points, then the Evil people put their arms down, revealing who is Evil, and then the Duke gets to cancel a Good vote that’s pointing towards another Good player? But everyone knows everything at that point, so what is the point of someone being the Duke rather than it just being a general power on the Good side?

I think the idea of making it a player power is that a specific player is responsible for doing it.