Podcast #200 - The Top 10 Games You "SHOULD" Play!

I must admit I did not have a clue about the scoring. I was just kidding, and knowing how bad I am at euros in general, I am very capable to end on a big fat 0 then… I stand corrected. It’s just that Knizia has other games that I find way more appealing, like Through the Desert, or My City, for example.

I think (from vaguely remembered podcasts) this is a game that Quinns soured on hard after his initial enthusiastic review.

3 Likes

Do we know why? Bad experience or just “done with it” ? I could imagine that when this game doesn’t click with a group it falls flat “hard”.

Why do we sour on games?

2 Likes

Competitive speed games are weird. The first and only time I played Sonar, the other team were just so ridiculously fast they seemed to be skipping the process somehow (I forget exactly how) so our guy trying to track them was understandably totally overwhelmed. It just got messy?

I’ve had problems with many speed games - the process gets elided out by people optimising as much as they can (Escape), or fumbling the bits just feels like it gets in the way (zombie 15).

2 Likes

Ooo hard disagree :see_no_evil:
Not because I’m not especially fond of Spirit Island (although I’m not), but because I think Pandemic Legacy isn’t just about being a good co-op, it’s about affecting the structure of the game and building a story over time with a group of people.

5 Likes

As I said, I have not played a Legacy game yet, so I cannot really compare, but for telling a story within a simple game and for better game mechanisms (amongst other things, like not having a consistent group that would commit to something like that) I would rather have SI there. But it is just my humble opinion.

If the list needed to have a Legacy game wedged in (although that implies committing to a series of games) I agree that probably the highest ranked one makes sense to be there. But in the end no social deduction games made it, while two card games did (Bohnanza and Skulls) so there you go. And as @lalunaverde says, not a single train game?? Outrageous :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was thinking what to put, but I found trains with shares to be very dry, even the light accessible ones!

2 Likes

Skull feels like half social deduction though.

2 Likes

In a way, I think it is something you should try at least once. My itch with the 18XX is length (I’d rather they were shorter, or I’d rather play a space opera for that long a time) and there are games out there that even they simplify the concept (Brass or PanAm come to mind) they can give you an idea of what the genre is like?

1 Like

While I don’t wich to disagree with your reasons for not being pro legacy, they do add a whole extra dimension if done well. For me it was Betrayal Legacy that was my highlight one. Betrayal at House on the Hill is wobbly but makinga joined up campaign meant the poor games mattered less in themselves as it was building up to quite a cool story and artefact.

I think it was an interview with Rob Daviau about Risk Legacy where he said that Legacy was intended to get a game played more in it’s life time than average. I think the initial intention was for non-hardcore gamers but in a setting with lots of new hotness always hitting the table a decent legacy game would be more likely to keep hitting the table. In my experience this has some truth, Gloomhaven and Betrayal legacy both were all that got played until campaign completion with my friend who purchase the most games and repeatedly wants to keep trying his new purchases. From that point of view I think they create less waste.

4 Likes

Betrayal and Risk are definitely two Betrayal games that actually I find attractive, if for different reasons. If Risk Legacy would have been around when I used to play it often at home with my brother in the 90s, I am pretty sure we would have loved the concept, and it would have rivalled Hero Quest big time.

And Betrayal is my second favourite horror game behind Cthulhu: Death May Die, so I can see how Legacy could make it really interesting. Although I have to look more into it and how they justify it thematically, I cannot see how you would justify entering abandoned Houses on Hills every other Thursday :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Fortunately the in game story sensibly had that covered! You don’t have to play entering abandoned, possibly haunted, building addicts

3 Likes

The solution I found was to play on Tabletop Simulator. Obviously one’s at the mercy of the mod quality but @Lordof1 and I played through PanLeg1 at one game a month and had a good time.

5 Likes

@EnterTheWyvern didnt liked it but Poseidon is the 2 hour 18xx game. The other one is 18Lilipput that we both like.

Otherwise, Cube Rails are the prime example of my style of games. Quick to play, light in rules, high interaction, opaque decisions.

3 Likes

My wife and I’ve played The Mind and thought it was fine, although we both prefer The Game. We went and bought the latter after playing it once, but not the former.

We’ve also played Pandemic Legacy 1, we’re at… July, I think. It’s… Okay. Like, it’s Pandemic, so that’s good, but the new game-play wrinkles aren’t worth the annoyance of the set-up and tear-down and I hate the fact that it’s useless once done, that we can’t sell it or pass it forward. It’s just so… Wasteful. We prefer the base game.

Our first legacy game, and it will likely be the last, unless the game can be played normally once the campaign’s done.

That’s it as far as games we’ve played on the official list. If we include the bonus ganes, add Brass: Birmingham, and that one’s brilliant, one of my wife’s absolute favourites. I like it a BIT less, but it’s still fantastic.

4 Likes

I feel like there’s a better version of The Mind that (at least where I grew up) most kids have played on the bus during a field trip or something, where you’re trying to count as high as possible but there’s no coordination of who says what number, and if two or more people ever say a number at the same time you have to reset. Pretty much the same as The Mind (counting up, timing with other people). Don’t see why The Mind would need to be on this list when that exists, although maybe it’s not a thing in England.

2 Likes

Pandemic Legacy cannot be played further after the campaign, no.

1 Like

This was a claim when it came out, and I guess it’s technically true, but I haven’t heard from anyone who has actually done it.

1 Like

That was my understanding, yeah. I expressed myself poorly there, I meant that we’ll likely not buy any more legacy games unless they can be played normally after the end of the campaign.

I mean, I guess you can still play it after, by ignoring the numerous stickers, but it’d just make the game board too busy.

2 Likes

The claim at the time was that you could play Your Specific Version of the game, but – without spoilers – I think by the end state of PanLeg1 you don’t really have a board that will give you a satisfying game of Pandemic.

1 Like