[PbP] - The Quiet Year

Here it is, represented by a long-abandoned, crumbling mine that nature’s reclaimed. The deep shafts tap into underground water, which has allowed some vegetation to grow back. When the wind blows in the right direction, sounds from deep under are carried on the air, but knowing if its’ just the tired Earth creaking, or something far less benign is impossible.

3 Likes

@GabrielH your turn to add more cassette tapes than anyone would reasonably need. Please leave some room on the map for the rest of the game though :grin:

1 Like

Over in one of the old airplane hangars, there are piles of cassette tapes, heaped to the rafters; and filling the earth, for a large area around it, there are more tapes buried, scattered to a depth of at least 5 feet (1.524 m)

Up to @Whistle_Pig to draw a shortage of fresh fruits.

4 Likes

Inside one of the old terminals is the remains of a food court. It looks like it’s been thoroughly ransacked, and what does remain doesn’t look very appetising…

@Snobbydolphin can you represent a scarcity of pigeons?

Edit: I’ve added the resources in the abundance/scarcity boxes

2 Likes

Perched above the masses of old tapes in the airplane hangar is a small flock of pigeons. Though, it is an ever-shrinking flock as they winnow away at the claws and beaks of larger predators. Perhaps they find some safety in the dark recesses of the tape mounds.

2 Likes

Now we’ve created our landscape and decided on our resources, we can begin the year itself. Each card in the deck represents a week, and the suits represent the seasons: spring = hearts, summer = diamonds, autumn = clubs, and winter = spades. The game ends when we draw the king of spades, and the Frost Shepherds arrive.

Each week is a turn taken by one player, and follows these phases in order:

Play a Card: I’ll draw a card from my deck, and paste the text in the thread. The active player chooses an option (if there is a choice) and resolves it. Bold text indicates that the card has specific rules.

Adjust the Dice: The active player reduces each project die by 1, and any finished projects are updated. Whoever started the project gets to tell everyone how it turns out, and update the map to reflect its completion. If the project finished early because of a card, instead the active player will tell everyone how it turns out.

Take an Action: The active player chooses and takes an action: Discover Something New, Hold a Discussion, or Start a Project.

If it makes sense to add something to the map or update something that’s already there, then do that at the end of your turn and include the new version in your post.

The three actions in more detail:

Discover Something New: Introduce a new situation. It might be a problem, an opportunity, or a bit of both. Draw that situation onto the map. Drawings should be small and simple. Whenever things seem too controlled and easy, we can use this action to introduce new issues and dilemmas.

Hold A Discussion: You can choose to open with a question or a statement. Starting from you and proceeding in turn order, each player gets to weigh in once, with a single statement of 1-2 sentences. If you opened with a question, you get to weigh in last. If you opened with a statement, that’s it for you. A discussion never results in a decision being made. Everyone weighs in, and then it’s over. If any of us feel like we have more to say on a topic, we can always hold another discussion about it on another week. Each discussion is tied to a situation on the map. When the discussion ends, mark the situation with a small dot.

Start a Project: You choose a situation and declare what the community will do to resolve it. There is no agreeing or disagreeing - the community simply begins work. Decide how many weeks the project would take to complete, from 1-6. Remember you are a small community. It isn’t easy or quick to build a house or repair a waterwheel. If a project would reasonably take longer than six weeks to complete, it will need to be completed in stages. Place a project die on the map, with the number showing how many weeks it will take to complete.

Finally…

Contempt Tokens (red circles): If ever you feel like you weren’t consulted or honoured in a decision-making process, you can take a piece of Contempt and place it in front of you. This is how we express disagreement or tension. If someone makes a statement or starts a project that you don’t agree with, you don’t get to speak out of turn. You are instead invited to take a piece of Contempt. Contempt will generally remain in front of players until the end of the game. It will act as a reminder of past tensions. If someone else does something that you greatly support, that would mend relationships and rebuild trust, you can discard a Contempt Token to show that they have healed past tensions.

1 Like

First turn goes to @RossM.

You have drawn the Jack of Hearts:

You see a good omen. What is it?

or…

You see a bad omen. What is it?

2 Likes

Well let’s have an omen. You can decide for yourself on it’s goodnessity.

Staring at up the endless blue you spot it, a strange long cloud, streaking across the sky.

Above your heads it suddenly changes, looping back upon itself.

Hidden at it’s head is something, but it’s hard to discern against the azure background.

Then you realise…

It’s a plane! A working plane!

My action; Start a Discussion.

What should be done in reaction to this?

3 Likes

Is turn order left-to-right for the names on the bottom of the sheet? I.e. is it my turn in the discussion?

Yes :slightly_smiling_face:

I think we need to plan our defences. It’s great there’s a plane, but I’m worried it turned around because it now has something to report: us.

1 Like

@GabrielH it’s your turn to contribute to the discussion.

We should probably try to signal it, if it’s friendly, then great, if not, we’re screwed anyway.

2 Likes

We have enough problems within the community. Attracting attention will only bring more from outside.

@Snobbydolphin?

1 Like

If they have a working plane… I think we have to be ready to deal with their technological advantage. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

2 Likes

To finish the discussion.

Clear a portion of the runways, let them land, kill them, steal the plane.

3 Likes

@IssiNoho77, you have drawn the 10 of Hearts :

There’s another community somewhere on the map. Where are they? What sets them apart from you?

or…

What belief or practice helps to unify your community?

We’ve heard about a small settlement in the south-east, near The Drop. We don’t know much about them, other than the fact that they have devoted themselves to worshipping the Frost Shepherds. It’s only rumours, but from what we understand they hope their devotion will see them selected for salvation when the winter comes. We fear them because we believe they will kill to demonstrate their loyalty.

1 Like

What will you do for your action?

Start a project

Clear a runway

Runway 2 is mostly covered with sand and rubble. I think we can clear it in 3 weeks. That should be enough time to clear the sand, fill the worst of the cracks, and make sure it’s visible from the air.

2 Likes