[PbP] - The Quiet Year

I was going to go with yeast, but I’ve gone for copper. We don’t have microelectronics any more, but we’re pretty proficient with basic electronics. Dynamos for power, filament light bulbs, heaters, motors for water pumps, that sort of thing.

3 Likes

We don’t know yet whether the resources are scarce or abundant. Once everyone has chosen a resource, we choose one to be abundant, and all the others are scarce.

Bearing that in mind, do you want to stick with copper?

1 Like

Oops, I got keen! Yes please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries :slightly_smiling_face:

@GabrielH’s turn to choose a resource.

1 Like

Cassette tapes.

5 Likes

It would help if I remembered that it was my turn :roll_eyes:

I’ll choose… Fresh fruit

@Snobbydolphin’s turn

2 Likes

Pigeons.

Yes. Pigeons.

4 Likes

Coo! :dove:

(Doves are basically pigeons, right?)

2 Likes

Okay… so I’d put my vote towards Trust being the abundance. Any of the others would work… But no one ever has enough pigeons :wink:

3 Likes

I like the idea of trust as well. I think that offers some interesting story elements.

I think trust works well as either an abundant or scarce resource, as does copper. Pigeons are probably funnier if there are loads of them, but having a lack of both pigeons and fruit suggests a food-scarcity challenge that the community would need to overcome. I like the idea that cassette tapes are really important somehow, and that finding them would be a priority on the same level as food… because there has to be a good story in there, right?

So, my vote for abundance goes to either trust or copper.

I have ideas for the combinations of pigeons and cassettes work with our current situation at the airport, but I don’t know if the world-building is meant to happen now or as the game goes on?

I think the entire game is world building :slight_smile:

This is the example from the rules:

The group is playing in an abandoned mining village nestled in thick woods. They name several resources: running water, transportation, and scrap metal. They all agree that scrap metal is by far the most interesting Abundance, so it gets drawn on the map. Scarcities of running water and transportation are both drawn in as well.

There’s also plenty of scope for changing the resource situation as the game goes on:

At the start of the game, we’ll have one resource in Abundance and at least that many in Scarcity. These lists are guides for interpreting the health of the community. We can add or subtract things from these lists whenever it feels appropriate to do so. Maybe the completion of a project alleviates a Scarcity or creates an Abundance. Some weekly cards will alter the lists as well.

I’m happy for you to pitch your pigeon + cassettes idea, but you should know that it will probably go in an unanticipated direction quite quickly!

Abundance of tapes!

No that’s cool, and actually more fun if it does all go off the rails.

I was thinking that whatever laid the world to waste (hence abandoned airport) probably made microelectronics a thing of the past. But basic electronics are a go. SO, maybe the jackals are kept away by noises they really don’t like, and we have these sounds on piles of cassettes, and use the abandoned airport’s ancient tannoy system to broadcast them?

In the absence of internet and mobile phones, perhaps communications are more rudimentary, and we send out pigeons with cassette recordings of messages of hope, ‘come find us’ requests?

1 Like

A reliable way of storing the learning of the past as well…

1 Like

I thought I’d try out the forum’s poll functionality for this decision. Vote on which resource should be abundant (everything else will be scarce):

• Trust
  • Copper
  • Fruit
  • Pigeons
  • Tapes

0 voters

Tapes it is!

Now we take it in turns to represent the resource we introduced (and their abundance or scarcity) on the map.

@RossM, please could you add a lack of trust to the map first? (I’m intrigued to see how you decide to represent it)

2 Likes

On the edge of the sandy wastes there is an old billboard, whatever it once advertised, now long obscured.

It is now home to a series of portraits and photographs. Each one represents one of the residents of this strange place. No picture means no entrance. Some of them are beautiful, snapshots into the before times or hints that a great artist still lives within.

It would be neglectful not to mention the number of portraits obscured by crude red crosses.

3 Likes

Nice!

@IssiNoho77’s turn to add a lack of copper.

1 Like