[PbP] - Brass Lancashire: Discussion

It seems from my previous post that there is slightly more interest in a game of Brass: Lancashire. I can’t see who voted what in the poll, but I think @Captbnut and @Benkyo were interested. Who else was?

Im interested

1 Like

I’m interested but happy to sit out if there is a big uptake.

1 Like

I’ve never played Lancashire. I’ve taken a lot of PBP opportunities so I’m willing to sit out if there is a lot of interest

Any thought to whether this will be a game for new players or not?

I don’t know whether it is one of those games where new players can easily give the win to someone else, for example.

If it is, I could play a beginner’s game, or just follow an experienced players’ game without gumming up the works myself.

I was mainly looking at Root, but will follow with interest.

I would class myself in the new camp having only played the app a couple of times.

1 Like

I’ll give up my seat if it’s a newbie game.

I’m not a super-experienced player myself - I know the rules pretty well, but by no means am I an expert. Brass is a game with a lot of restrictions on what you can do at various stages, so it can be easy to forget something and discover that you can’t do what you wanted to, but I think it’s rare to have no sensible options.

I’d say it’s going to be a newbie-friendly game, so if there are people interested who would completely thrash everyone else, perhaps they could follow along and provide tips? Unless everyone else is okay with playing against an experienced player.

I’m planning to put reminders of the restrictions in the update posts, to reduce the potential for frustration!

Im very happy to watch. I enjoyed following the Antiquity game

2 Likes

Have you played a lot of Brass?

My heart say “it’s never enough” but yeah I have played some. Im happy to help with whatever

1 Like

I’ve played some Brass, and I’d say that although new players will probably not necessarily beat experienced players, the presence of less experienced players is unlikely to spoil it for others. Ie, I don’t think they can hand victory to anyone in particular. The main reason is that it has variable turn order, so it doesn’t have the problem that exists in something like Puerto Rico where it matters who is sitting to your right.

2 Likes

Never played Brass, but I will be happy to just watch and learn, like I did (tried) with Antiquity

I think we’ve got @Benkyo, @Captbnut, and @GeeBizzle. @Chewy77 would you like to join for a learning game and make it four?

First important question: is the board legible?

The TTS mod has the original board, but that’s probably easier to read on screen than the new version.

1 Like

Looks fine to me, but no idea what it means yet.

1 Like

Yeah agree that although the new board is gorgeous it does make it significantly more complicated to read.

1 Like

Looks ok to me, thanks for setting this up

1 Like

Ehmm, Ok, I will jump in. It reads perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Ok!
Here is a link to the rules.

Brass: Lancashire tells the story of competing entrepreneurs in Lancashire and the surrounding area during England’s Industrial Revolution, between the years 1770-1870. During the game, you will expand your empire by establishing canals and rails, and building and developing various industries, including Cotton Mills, Coal Mines, Iron Works, Shipyards, and Ports.

Edit: In Brass, you win by getting the most points (NOT money). You can get points by building and using industry tiles, and by building rail/canal links between locations.

These are the industries which you will be developing:

1. The cost to place the tile on the board. In the highlighted case this is £18 (the value in the circle), one iron (orange cube), and one coal (black/blue cube).

2. The benefit gained by building each tile. In the highlighted case this is 12 points (gained at the end of the era) and an increase in income (effective immediately) of £2. Income is gained at the end of each round.

3. The “tier” of the tile. Highlighted are a tier 3 cotton mill and a tier 4 port. Tier 1 buildings can only be built in the first half of the game (the canal era) and are removed from the board at the beginning of the second half (the rail era).

4. The pendants indicate a restriction on when the tiles next to it can be played. Tiles next a blue pendant may only be placed in the canal era. Those next to a black pendant may only be placed in the rail era.

5. Access to the market. Connecting to these tiles allows you to buy and sell both cotton and coal. Locations around the edge of the board marked by an anchor in a circle (Scotland, Yorkshire, the Midlands) also give this access if you are connected to them.

6. Resources produced by the tile. Iron works and coal mines produce their associated resources when they are placed on the board. The iron/coal is then available to any player who meets the connection requirements.

1 Like