[PbP] - Brass Lancashire: Discussion

The market is different to Brass Birmingham.

Building an anchor (I’m assuming at a port) gives access to a market, is that right?

How is that tile flipped? Is it single use?

Yes - anyone connected to the tile has access to the market through it.

You flip a port tile and a cotton mill tile at the same time using the “sell” action. You can do this multiple times with a single sell action (e.g. flip two ports and two cotton mills), but each port and cotton mill can only be flipped once. The market locations at the edge of the board can be used multiple time.

No beer, for a start! You can also sell to the “distant market” .

I’d noticed that - but the anchors seem to be similar. Apart from they have to be on the network

Player turns

On your turn, perform a total of 2 actions. For each action you perform, you must
discard a card from your Hand and place it face up on top of your Discard Pile.

After all of your actions have been completed, refill your Hand back up to 8 cards with
cards from the Draw Deck.

Place all money spent during your turn in the “amount spent” box of your player colour.

Once the Draw Deck has been exhausted, your Hand will decrease each round until you have no cards left.

Round structure

Each player takes two actions (with the exception of the first round, when only one action is taken).

The turn order for the next round is determined by the amount of money spent in the round which has just finished, in order of least to most spent.

All players take their income

The next round begins.

Each era consists of 8 rounds (in a 4-player game)

1 Like

I know I’m calling this early, but would anyone mind if I was that rather natty pink as my player colour?

1 Like

Actions:

You must discard a card to take any action

Build:
Place one of your Industry tiles on a matching space the board, paying the appropriate cost and consuming any required coal / iron. You may either discard a card which matches the industry tile that you want to build in a location connected to your network, or discard a card showing a location to build any industry tile in that location. In your chosen location, you must build on a space showing only your intended industry tile, if possible.

You may use use both your actions (i.e. discard two cards) to treat the discarded cards as any single location card. This is good if you get stuck.

Overbuilding
Sometimes you are allowed to replace an already placed Industry tile with a higher level tile of the same industry type (you must still pay the necessary build costs). This is known as Overbuilding. When
Overbuilding:

If the tile you are replacing is your own:
• You may Overbuild any Industry tile.
• If there are any iron / coal cubes on the tile being replaced, place them back into the General Supply.

If the tile you are replacing is owned by an opponent:
• You may Overbuild only a Coal Mine or an Iron Works.
• There must be no resource cubes on the entire board, including in its Market, of the same type as the Industry tile being replaced.

Remove overbuilt Industry tiles from the game (they will not score VPs). Players do not lose previously gained income or VPs if their Industry tiles are overbuilt.

Network:
Expand your canal or rail network by adding Link tiles to the board. Canals cost £3, one railway costs £5 + 1 coal, 2 railways (in a single action) costs £15 + 2 coal. You may only add a link tile if it is connected to your network. A link tile is connected to your network if a) you have an industry tile in a location at either end of the link, or b) if you have an existing link tile connected to one of the end locations.

Develop:
Gain access to higher-level industries by removing Industry tiles from your Player Mat. You may remove up to 2 tiles per action, costing 1 iron each.

Sell:
Flip your built Cotton Mill tiles, by selling to the Distant Cotton Market or by flipping a Port tile.

Selling using a Port
You may sell cotton to an unflipped Port tile (owned by any player). The Cotton Mill
must be connected to the unflipped Port tile.

1. Flip the Port tile, and advance its owner’s Income Marker along the Progress Track by the number
    of spaces shown in the bottom right corner of the tile.
  2. Flip your Cotton Mill tile, and advance your Income Marker along the Progress Track by the number of spaces shown in the bottom right corner of the tile.

Selling to the Distant Cotton Market
You may sell cotton to the Distant Cotton Market if their is demand. The Cotton Mill must be connected to the market via a flipped or unflipped Port, or one of the locations around the edge of the board.
Note: If you are using an unflipped Port tile to sell to the Distant Cotton Market, do not flip the Port tile.

1. Flip the topmost Distant Cotton Market tile and discard it.
  2. Move the Distant Cotton Market Marker along the Distant Cotton Market Track by the number of
    spaces shown in the bottom centre of the flipped tile.
  3. Advance your Income Marker along the Progress Track by the number of spaces displayed on
    the Income icon to the left of the Distant Cotton Market Marker.
  4. If the Distant Cotton Market Marker has not reached zero, flip your Cotton Mill tile, and advance your Income Marker along the Progress Track by the number of spaces shown in the bottom right corner of the tile. Otherwise, there is no demand for cotton in the distant market, and you may not flip your cotton mill.

You may repeat this process multiple times in one sell action.

Loan:
Take £10/£20/£30 from the Bank, and move your Income Marker 1/2/3 income levels (not spaces) backwards down the Progress Track. Place your Income Marker on the highest space within the new lower income level.
Exception: You cannot take a loan if it will take your income level below -10.

Pass:
Discard a card and take no action.

1 Like

Era-specific rules

Canal Era:

• Only canal links may be built (on blue lines)
  • You may only build one industry tile per location
  • Tier 1 buildings may only be built in this era
  • All tier 1 buildings and canal links are removed at the end of the era (after scoring)

Rail era:

• Only rail links may be built (on grey lines)
  • You may build multiple industry tiles in one location
  • No loans may be taken in the last 4 rounds of this era

Resources:

Iron:
Iron is required to perform the Develop action, and to build certain Industry tiles.
To consume iron, an Industry tile does not need a connection to a source of iron, because iron could be transported via horse and cart.
Iron must be consumed from:

1. Any unflipped Iron Works (owned by any player); it does not have to be the closest. If you need more than 1 iron, you can consume each iron from a different Iron Works. Consuming iron in this way is free.
  2. If there are no unflipped Iron Works, you can purchase iron from the Iron Market, starting at the
    cheapest price. If the Iron Market is empty, you can still purchase iron for £5.
    Consumed iron cubes are placed back into the General Supply.

Coal:
Coal is required to build rail Links and certain Industry tiles.
To consume coal, a rail Link or Industry tile must be connected to a source of coal (after
it is placed). Coal must be consumed from:

1. The closest (fewest Link tiles distant) connected unflipped Coal Mine (owned by any player). If multiple Coal Mines are equally close, choose one. If a Coal Mine runs out of coal, and you need more, choose the next closest Coal Mine. Consuming coal in this way is free.
  2. If you are not connected to an unflipped Coal Mine, you can purchase coal from the Coal Market, starting at the cheapest price. This requires a connection to the market via a port, or one of the locations around the edge. If the Coal Market is empty, you can still purchase coal for £5.
    Consumed coal cubes are placed back into the General Supply.
1 Like

For anyone not wishing to read that wall of text!

1 Like

Forgot something important!

Scoring (at the end of each era)

1. Score Canal/Rail Links:
    For each of your Link tiles, score 1 VP for each brown circle displayed in adjacent locations.
  2. Score Flipped Industry Tiles:
    Score the VPs shown in the bottom right corner of your flipped Industry tiles on the board. Unflipped
    Industry tiles I do not score.

End of game scoring:
In addition to the end of era scoring, each £10 that you own at the end of the game is worth an extra 1VP.

1 Like

I’ll do the player boards like this to show how many of each tile you have:

Tier Cotton Mills Ports Shipyards Iron works Coal mines
IV 3 2 - 1 2
III 3 2 - 1 2
II 3 2 2 1 2
I 3 2 2 1 1
Locked - - 2 - -

You also have 14 of each link tile type.

I’ll send people a list of cards in their hand by direct message.

Questions?

1 Like

Wow, lots of typing!

Are shipyards another industry? But the first one has to be developed?

Quite a lot of copying and pasting - I didn’t type all of that out!

Yes, the first two shipyard tiles have to be removed using the develop action, before you can place any on the board. They flip immediately, and don’t do anything except score lots of points at the end of the era.

1 Like

This sounds important, but maybe makes more sense after seeing the tiles?

1 Like

:+1: I’ll post some pictures of the tiles tomorrow

Here are some of the tiles:

You can see that the pictures match some of the square spaces on the board, which is where that tile can be placed.

In the bottom left is the tier of the tile. Some of the shipyards are tier zero, and they cannot be placed on the board. They have to be removed using the develop action before you can access your tier 1 shipyards.

On the unflipped tiles, a value in the top left indicates the number of resources placed on the tile (iron/coal). The monetary cost to place the tile is shown in the top right, the resource cost (coal/iron) is shown in the bottom right. A picture of a canal or railway indicates that the tile can only be placed in the corresponding era.

On the flipped tiles, the value in the top right shows the increase in your income on flipping the tile. The value in the bottom right is the number of points gained in end of era scoring. Unflipped tiles do not score.

Tiles are flipped in the following circumstances:

Shipyards: immediately when placed on the board.
Iron works: when all of the iron on the tile has been used.
Coal mines: when all of the coal on the tile has been used.
Ports: when selling cotton through the port.
Cotton mills: when selling cotton through a port or to the distant market.

Are the flipped sides of all the tiles open information? I assume they don’t change from game to game, so there should be a list somewhere.

Everyone has an identical set of tiles. All tiles of the same industry and tier are the identical. You must work your way through tiles of the same industry from the lowest tier to the highest. For example, you may not place a tier 3 coal mine without having either placed all of your tier 1 and 2 mines, or discarded them using the develop action.

You can see all of the information on the tiles in the picture of the player board that I posted yesterday.

1 Like

Ah, so “they” here refers to tiles other than the first two shipyard tiles, and not the first two shipyard tiles.

1 Like

I think I’m correct in saying that all tiles (apart from shipyard - they are not in Birmingham) flip when they are exhausted, or sold.

Coal and iron tiles have resources on them (3-5 normally) which are spent by players (not necessarily just the player who placed them). This is where the co-opetition comes in, you sometimes want other players to flip your tiles for you. Flipping scores points and gives an income boost - both to the placing player, not the player who caused the tile to be flipped.

Cotton and manufactured goods flip when they are sold, which is done by the placing player. Again it boosts points and income. I’m not totally sure on the mechanism because in Birmingham you need to have beer to sell and there is no beer here. However, I do know to sell you have to be linked to the market