“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

The Civ game is very abstracted but has the don’t use an action to make it .ore powerful’ card queue thing that everyone loves in Ark Nova.

I like Imhotep a lot.

3 Likes

It’s not really my style of game but it does the thing it does very well. And it’s easy to learn.

2 Likes

My favourites from your list are Imhotep (Phil Walker-Harding is just a fantastic designer), Kemet (one of the best Wargames For Non-Wargamers ever made… I like Inis a tiny bit more and Cyclades a tiny bit less, but they’re all really good), and 1775 (which, admittedly, I haven’t played… but I love most of the Academy games I have played, so I would be surprised if it isn’t a neat asymmetric wargame with great combat and card mechanics).

I have heard good things about Iki and So You’ve Been Eaten (gosh I love Moriya’s art… just beautiful stuff), but didn’t like the new Civ too much (not bad, but too light? A weird complaint, but I only played it once so maybe it will hold up with a second playthrough?).

3 Likes

The critical factor that has so far prevented us from playing Imhotep is that it is half in German…

5 Likes

I can provide translation… probably.

3 Likes

Some phone cameras/apps provide live translations in addition to Yashimi’s offer

3 Likes

BGG has both the English rules and card translations (though I can’t vouch for the quality).

2 Likes

It’s also on BGA to learn it

2 Likes

My partner helped me rearrange some things in my home office and we found a place for me to have a permanent gaming table.

I can set up a game and leave it setup… and… and… I’m not sure what to do with my new-found freedom.

12 Likes

Campaign for North Africa?

Ooh! Ooh! Mega Civilization! That one I’ve actually played, although I don’t think we finished it either. Had to rent a hotel boardroom for that one.

5 Likes

Well, I mean… we found some space. But for a 3’x5’ table (which is still a lot of space for just one person’s somewhat selfish hobby of solo boardgaming)

6 Likes

The queen is dead. Long live the king.

5 Likes

Does that mean we get new stamps soon?

1 Like

New cash as well.

Also, interesting from a British pov on how we will view history from the end of WW2 to Covid/Ukraine/Economic crisis as the Elizabethan Era. Historians tend to like landmarks to indicate the start and end of things.

5 Likes

When I was born there were women in charge of everything, Queen, Prime Minister, Astronauts all bossing it.

I don’t know if it will ever happen again.

8 Likes

Except there is already an Elizabethan Era, and it is not forgotten or unimportant. I’ve wondered about this in the past, and not found an answer.

3 Likes

New Elizabethan?

1 Like

Good point. It is 2nd.

1 Like

I think that was mentioned a few times in the 1950s, but fell out of use.

1 Like

The 2nd Elizabethan era

2 Likes