“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Another keen vote for flashpoint.

3 Likes

Flash Point I have only played on Steam, but I would be happy to try PBF

Id be up for Overlord

2 Likes

I would overlord

1 Like

I am recovering from the Hot but I’ll go looking for assets I can use.

2 Likes

Sometimes I really hate the internet. Ratings for some new CMON game. I am not a big fan of CMON but you know what this is …

… idiotic.

PS: recently saw someone mention on reddit how we seem to have collectively forgotten the old rule “don’t feed the trolls”. This is more like Troll-Pingpong

4 Likes

“Best game ever. I have burned all my other games.” ⇄ “This game burned all my other games.”

5 Likes

I must admit I am tempted to post a comment without a rating along the lines of “I have no opinion about this game.” But that of course is passive aggressive feeding of the trolls… so I will refrain. I understand how this is happening but I thoroughly dislike the trend and I see no way forward because if you engage you are feeding…

So all I feel I can do is to remind everyone I know regularly not to engage the trolls, but as far as I know from my social environs… I am preaching to the choir.

4 Likes

It would be nice if there were a way to get a version of the rating that’s just based on the rating from users with logged plays of a game.

It would still be skewed because not everyone is diligently logging their plays, but it would at least make stuff like this more pointless.

2 Likes

Maybe just ignore the 1s and 10s? I thought BGG used to give the actual number of instances of each rating, but I can’t find it now.

3 Likes

Somewhere up on the right when you click on ratings.

1 Like

When calculating the BGG rating, BGG uses a secret sauce formula that filters out most of the polarized noise.

Which means: BGG rating may be even less useful than the arithmetic average… because who knows what the formula is actually doing

3 Likes

But of course if they simply said “we ignore all the 1s and 10s” people would just stop using those ratings.

3 Likes

When I am interested in a game, one of the things I do, is go to “ratings with comments” and check out some comments for each rating between 8 and 4. I also check where the bulk of the ratings sits. The super high and super low rating people rarely have anything worthwhile to contribute. If there is a very long comment along with any rating that is usually worth a lot. Gushing superfan reviews get ignored, they are so rarely helpful, which is one of the reasons I try to not be gushing too much in my own writeups of games. I have no idea how often I succeed though when I like a game a lot.

3 Likes

I usually skim the 1’s and 10’s for cogent opinions, at the least. If it’s somebody’s only 10 or only 1, I really want to know why.

3 Likes

Indeed, I just looked at a random CMON game and the first 1-rater I saw said essentially “it’s too expensive so I’m not buying it”. But if I’m looking at a rating and thinking about buying I’ve already taken the price into account, so…

2 Likes

The system is useless, imo, because it combines all of the tastes, personalities, and quirks of each user and flatten it into grey mediocrity of this hypothetical “average BGG user” and resulting in the least polarising game hitting the top. It’s a very good ranking system if you treat it as “Top of the Pops” version of board gaming. Otherwise, it’s useless.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed something similar with “best <blank> games” Geeklists (e.g. “best relaxing game” (which will probably eventually include a real-time game) or “best game for 3 players” (which will probably eventually contain a 6 player game where each player just plays 2 positions)); eventually, if left open to public additions, will eventually contain such a broad-sweeping selection of games as to be mostly useless.

1 Like

“…some new CMON game.”

Is the game actually released yet? As I always get a kick out of games that have been announced and suddenly have a bunch of 1’s and 10’s on BGG.

3 Likes

Of course it is not released yet. I am sure there will be a kickstarter but it was top of the hotness so I clicked on it to make it worse and saw it had a rating of 3 which made me curious for an unreleased game to have such a bad rating usually somebody played a demo copy and liked it and if course I knew it would be like it is but I was still somehow surprised…

3 Likes