“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Someone I met at Slightly Less Local Game Group said she’d been to another Meetup-based boardgame session, played with various people, and got a Meetup direct message later along the lines of “I think we had a really special connection”. And, well, ew. (He was apparently also a fair bit older than her, which I think these days would at least mean “tread extra carefully because there are a whole lot of creepy guys about”, but while I’m sure there’s a way to do this sort of thing politely I’m sure that isn’t it.)

6 Likes

At least it’s honest.

Everything else is wrong about that…

5 Likes

Im such a train nerd that I was seriously pondering about what’s so optimistic about picking up 1822PNW or 18GB

7 Likes

I just left that bit in to provide contrast to Mr. Optimist’s misguided overtures :grin:

8 Likes

Got a great Father’s Day gift this year. This is now my Official Church Mug.

10 Likes

I see nothing that can go wrong with this. (Thanks @BigJackBrass.)

2 Likes

Not sure if that link will work, but the latest episode of the Comfort Blanket podcast is talking about The Players Guide

2 Likes

3 Likes

Saw a very odd fella at the gym today. He was wearing a plain t-shirt with things like “women hate me” and “women always criticise me” scrawled all over it.

Made me a bit angry after a while that he was allowed to be in the gym…

5 Likes

You can think of it as an early warning system for any women in the vicinity if that helps. No one wants to deal with any of that “but you’re not like all the others” nonsense.

7 Likes

I had one of those awkward moments in the gym today where you walk towards a piece of equipment just as some else is doing the same. The gym was empty so I didn’t mind at all. What made it a bit more awkward was the following conversation.

The lady said to me “I was wondering if you’d remember me, you helped me pair my Bluetooth about a year ago.”

I was mortified, didn’t remember the lady or ever helping anyone with technical issues like that in the gym. We did introductions and had a bit of a chat then went about our respective workouts.

A little bit later it dawned on me that I did remember her but I’d helped her get a piece of equipment unjammed. So now I don’t feel so bad, it seems our memories are about as bad as each other’s :smile:

4 Likes

I had a small amount of surplus brain energy yesterday and tried to teach myself Food Chain Magnate.

Turns out a small amount of brain is not enough for this game. I feel like I need to watch a video or watch someone play to grok how this plays out. Does anyone have a good one that I can maybe have a look at when I have extra brain the next time? (No idea when that will be right now I feel like I have a total of 2 brain cells both of which have dedicated tasks already).

6 Likes

Can play async on slothninja with rule enforcement if you are interested in that route?

2 Likes

We are privileged in the 1% down here in NZ

1 Like

You are being too hard on yourself. Even being a spaniel, than which there are few bars lower, takes three (food, tail, ball). Just don’t jump in the lake and try to make friends with the ducks. If you don’t, relax: you’re doing fine ;- )

3 Likes

Thanks for the offer. Maybe at some point I will take you up on it. Right now I am really just glad when I find time to read a bit of rules. Or “consume” a video. All my energy that requires actual thinking and initiative is currently consumed by the process of finalizing our renovation project (and work, though that seems to be the easy part atm).

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I think Meeple University’s video was very good at describing the first layer of the rules; i.e. how to physically get the game setup on your table

The part I’ve been struggling with (without having played) is the second layer of “how to play” where you formulate a plan of how to win from the menu of actions available during the game.

2 Likes

@RogerBW I’m trying to find the link to the 3d print of Container files you posted. Can you put it up again please?

2 Likes

A colleague just asked for some help translating an English text to Japanese, and after reviewing it I realised:

1. he wanted to better understand the difference between precision and accuracy in targeting, because it’s a patent application for a virtual targeting application, i.e., it’s military technology

2. “dwelling” on a target makes no literal sense, but it can be understood in terms of maintaining accuracy, and that odd phrasing is because it’s a very bad English translation of a Russian patent application

3. so we’re helping Russian military technology enter Japanese markets

I’m not entirely comfortable with that.

7 Likes

That was an unexpected turn… the way I see it, if it is not your company, somebody else will do it, so you might as well earn the profit?

1 Like