“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

…and then you will discover that your shoelaces are tied together.

6 Likes

I see that you have also played Food Chain Magnate :laughing:

5 Likes

Just for the fun of it (we were talking about „tribal knowledge“) I duck-ducked „boardgames“ and landed here: The 50 Best Board Games of All Time | Better Homes & Gardens

WTF. I mean the article was over before it even started when the blurb mentioned the unmentionable…

To be fair it wasn‘t the first link and BGG came shortly … after. But yeah… modern search engine results…

3 Likes

That is… certainly a list of some boardgames that have existed (mostly 50 years ago).

I notice it’s carefully a list of “our favourites” and not claiming to be “the best” or anything. Update your favourites, editors, wow!

4 Likes

Cribbage and Traffic Jam stretch the concept of Board game slightly.

4 Likes

Which unmentionable, Monopoly or CAH? :slight_smile:

There should be a single-word term for “winner is purely random, this is purely a social exercise”.

Azul is the only one there (on a quick skim) I’d call “a recent release”, though of course that’s in board game years. Does have a feel of “people are talking about games, these are some games I remember, and I asked the intern in case anything had come out recently”.

Ross - but if we ban Cribbage do we also have to ban Red7?

4 Likes

A list that exists to confirm what you remember from growing up in the 70s or 80s. “I remember playing Sorry! It was my favorite, and it’s still in the top 50!”

2 Likes

I’m apathetic. In all honesty.

Board games are whatever you want them to be.

4 Likes

My point is along the lines of “what happens if someone who really isn’t a hobbyist gamer searches boardgames online about what would they stumble?”

The debate was originally how in some large companies certain knowledge f.e. how to promote people is not written down so much as passed on within “your tribe” and… I wondered how much this phenomenon is happening elsewhere and my go to topic for anything is boardgames these days.

(This also may have been influenced by a recent video we watched about how much internet search sucks these days…)

My initial search result is a bit sad. Maybe I should check other searches because I assume nobody goes and searches “boardgame” without any further specifications.

So next up I searched “modern boardgames” which I deem a more likely search happening from someone interested. This looks more promising:

3 Likes

Then they should know better than to read the website of ‘Better Homes and Gardens’…:slight_smile:

7 Likes

But I want my home to be better!

I think my introduction into modern boardgaming came by way of Wil Wheaton’s Tabletop series. It’s really a shame that there’s no analog for that these days. I had dabbled a bit prior to watching Tabletop (Catan, and some video game franchise spin-offs with my old videogaming friend group) In some ways, there certainly are, but those mostly appear to be targeted towards people already in the hobby.

4 Likes

Same. I really enjoyed the 3 or so seasons I watched. It left a definitive mark on my boardgaming even though few of the games I acquired remain in my collection.

3 Likes

I got quite irked with Tabletop seasons 3-4 when the cracks were showing, and I’m glad they didn’t make more, but I did enjoy the first two quite a bit.

I assume that BH&G is running an article on boardgames primarily for their existing readers who might be interested, rather than wanting to capture random boardgame newbies, and then the search engines did their thing.

I’m reminded of roleplaying games in the early 1980s: at least among people I’ve met, most of us then learned about gaming from someone else who already had a copy, then went out and got one ourselves, introduced our friends, some of them then got interested and got their own copies… I think that’s the best way, and that’s one reason why whenever I meet new boardgamers I try to get across to them just how much variation is out there. You may not like this game, but this game is not the entire hobby. (Even if it’s a game that “everybody” says is great, like Terraforming Mars or Cards Against Humanity when those were new.)

3 Likes

There are more than 10 Boardgames?

6 Likes

This is now called viral marketing

1 Like

This reminds me… I know almost nobody here speaks German and I have no idea if you will think this is funny but one of the oldest memes I know is a video about viral marketing:

(They are speaking in very very deep dialect from Southern Germany “schwäbisch”–not mine, I have the slightest dialect of the neighboring region. ) Apparently, there is an English version linked below the video. “Sie streitsüchtiger Grasdackel, Sie!”

newer version in HD

2 Likes

I’m slightly bemused that one of their categories is “multiple players”.

2 Likes

Actually, about 20% of the list is pretty good!

2 Likes

Looks like Matt’s been taking tips from Better Homes and Gardens:

4 Likes

Some extreme optimism on display from this random dude that showed up in my gaming group’s Discord…

5 Likes