“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

My husband and I have just booked our first holiday since 2017 :scream:
That is all.

9 Likes

2017? The pandemic only started… later.
Where are you going?

We haven’t been away for ages because a) it’s expensive and b) we normally have my husband’s children for holidays which would make going away twice as expensive and 5 times as stressful! The kids are visiting their grandparents in Japan this summer so we decided we could probably manage an actual holiday for a change. We’re going to Majorca for a week in July - I plan to get through a lot of books while trying not to melt!

8 Likes

And I thought I was bad. We have booked our first flight back to Europe since we moved here in 2018, we’ll be visiting my family in Gran Canaria during August for three weeks. Last I saw them was August 18, and the in laws and brother in law might drop by from Lithuania for a week or so, looking forward to that.

5 Likes

have any of you checked out what was going on on r/place? (Timelapse video)

I was fascinated the first time it came around—I didn‘t participate (neither 2017 nor this time) but it‘s incredible to look at.

3 Likes

I did participate on some subs. Done it casually, I left a tab open and hear a ping after 10 mins.

2 Likes

I lacked sleep in the past few days. And sleep deprivation kills off some functions in my brain like procrastination and timidity.

I end up booking my annual leave for every planned holidays in one go. Set up all the menial tasks with it.

So UKGE is all sorted out. Booked my annual leave for Essen Spiel and other holidays. Just need to confirm the arrangements for the latter.

5 Likes

This made me chuckle, with apologies to out most active German speaker @yashima and any other German fluent lurkers - The German Animal Names Flowchart

4 Likes

The English word is actually just as literal; porcupine sounds a lot like “pork spine”.

In Spanish, the name is Puercoespin, which is definitely Puerco (one of the many ways of saying pig in Spanish) and Espin from Espina (thorn or spike)

I admit the break up of the Turkey German name made me laugh out loud. And seriously, squirrels?? What the heck??

3 Likes

Well, we do steal adopt words from many languages

4 Likes

I have to make one addition to this flowchart… when everyone speaks of Guinea Pigs in the sense of an animal something is tested on… Germans speak of “Versuchskaninchen” with Kaninchen being a bunny… which direclty leads to the next weirdness because the Easter Bunny is not the Osterkaninchen but Osterhase and Hase translates to “hare”

So:

• Meerschweinchen = Guinea Pig
  • Guinea Pig = Versuchskaninchen
  • Kaninchen = Bunny
  • Easter Bunny = Osterhase
  • Hase = hare

Confused yet?

But an “Easter Egg” is Osterei unless it is hidden somewhere in a game or code then it’s “Easter Egg” :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Seen elsewhere (thanks @BigJackBrass) :

8 Likes

My oldest, 4, likes brown M&Ms more than any other color.

Me: why do you like the brown ones so much?

4: because they’re chocolate flavored

7 Likes

Cannot fault the logic.

Have you asked what flavor the others are?

4 Likes

I haven’t. I’m afraid to push the subject in case she decides she won’t eat the other colors.

We use them as rewards for going potty. The older one was almost to the point where she wouldn’t ask for them anymore, but as soon as the middle child started potty training, the older one got back in the habit of “reminding” us to give her a reward.

3 Likes

My daughter has decided the easter bunny is male. My comment that a pagan fertility god is unlikely to have been male seems to have gone over her head.

8 Likes

Entirely possible, actually - that’s a lot of what the Green Man is about.

5 Likes

Bit like Aphrodite and Eros?? Easter female and the bunny male?? Although depending on what version you listen to, Eros might not have been Aphodite’s son at all…

Anyway, there’s nearly a 50% chance that is right.

2 Likes

I watched Top 10 Board Games for the Classroom - YouTube (Dice Tower) last night and I thought this was one of the better Top 10 lists of theirs that I have seen. Some really good choices here, so if any of you are teachers and are interested in using games with the students… maybe take a look at the lists. Just posting because Dice Tower does so many videos that the good stuff gets buried between “Take a look at this shelf” and “Tom’s Boring Unboxing” (which weirdly is not all that boring).

3 Likes

8 Likes