“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Our head of software used to have a habit of landing “quick fixes” around 5pm on a Friday before going on holiday for a week. The next week it would be some poor dev’s job to untangle the mess…

5 Likes

The guy in charge of our Azure DevOps install decided to apply a “quick patch” on Friday afternoon, which he didn’t tell us about. We got in the next Monday hoping to formally release some software and none of our builds were running.

Actually, nearly everyone’s builds were broken, except for those people who’d asked for the patch to be applied. I spent the next week or two helping everyone in the company getting their builds back online.

4 Likes

You all have apparently never heard about readonly Fridays.

3 Likes

That is precisely when you apply these quick fixes! On a Friday afternoon just before you go on holiday! :wink:

I remember the technical head being such a dinosaur where he checked in some changes during a code freeze before a release. Classic!

3 Likes

We have a banner alert if you try to land a diff after 2 on Friday. That’s 2 California time, which is annoying for people not in California. So I expect, it just gets clicked through without thinking. (On holidays, it’s a hqrd stop, and requires more hoop jumping to push it. )

1 Like

We used to have a code review dragon, whereby if you tried to land some code without it being reviewed, you got an ASCII drawing of a dragon telling you to re-evaluate your choices.

5 Likes

We can’t land anything that’s not reviewed. How thoroughly it’s reviewed, well….

2 Likes

Different in some ways, but similar enough, I think. At my last job, there were changes we could make to the network at any time, and there were changes we could make to the network only during maintenance windows… and then there were some grey areas.

If you had something in a grey area and you wanted to get permission to do it, you had to reach out to the Tier 3 network operations team; a team of very smart, very capable engineers who really knew the network. Some of them were very cautious and would almost always suggest that you schedule it for a maintenance window, even if it’s a “FYI notification-only” event (where about 2000 people would get an email that it was going to happen, but approximately 0 of those people would actually pay attention to the email). So, if you had a project manager bugging you to do something and they weren’t being very nice about it, you copy them on an email to that Tier 3 engineer, asking for permission to make the change, and then the PM gets the email reply saying “schedule a change window”.

But there was one of the Tier 3 guys who would just let you do anything you wanted, at any time… I think because he got bored a lot and wanted things to be more interesting. If you wanted to get something done, you’d reach out to this guy:

ME: “Hey, Nick. I need to make a change that probably won’t break anything.”
NICK: “Sure. Go ahead”
ME: “Don’t you want to know what I’m doing?”
NICK: “Why haven’t you done it yet?”

9 Likes

Just read this on BGG about ratings and fomo and lots of things: Choice and Bias: Why New Games Top the BGG Rankings | BoardGameGeek News | BoardGameGeek

I found it quite interesting and also I agree with many of the things he’s saying. Maybe I’ll take away something about my fomo. Who knows :slight_smile: So many games, so little time. Not even enough time to sell the ones I don’t want to keep.

3 Likes

There is a maintenance issue near my desk at work so I went to the office for the first time in months. To my great surprise there was a package. It has been ages since I did anything other than visit the office so I haven’t sent anything there. I haven’t backed a lot of Kickstarter campaigns. Some of the ones I have were reprints of old comics. These usually involve a digital copy as well as a hard copy so you might get sent the .PDF well before the book is shipped. They can also involve a lot of time tracking down copies of the original works, scanning them and cleaning up the images. Because I had the digital copy already I kinda thought I had the product, and forgot about the rest. So it was a delightful shock to go to work and find “Mr. Monster” sitting on my desk.

2 Likes

Board game boxes made better with Hobbes | BoardGameGeek

Found this old geeklist and had a good laugh out of it. The Rococo edit is my fave

6 Likes

Rococo is excellent. My favorite, I think, is A Few Acres of Snow.

And Wingspan was quite fun.

(although Altiplano gave me the warm fuzzies)

2 Likes

I scrolled down this list far too many pages…
Diplomacy is pretty good and FCM is incredibly well done–it looks almost like that should be the cover.
Some of those games I would actually consider playing with Hobbes… without not so much.
I also liked Friday and Dominant Species :slight_smile:

Obviously, also Tigers and Euphrates.

Wingspan is seriously great. I see I am not the only one to get to Altiplano :slight_smile: That is faaaar down the list
And Root is sooo adorable.

4 Likes

Ok, that’s awesome. I love Calvin and Hobbes

3 Likes

I finally saw Wingspan. That one is great!

3 Likes

I heard about it in BoardGameCo youtube channel. And I don’t think it is a bad thing. Obviously, now that board game fans are more selective with their choices, there will be a selection bias in the ratings. So people will play more games they thing they are going to like, and games they like will get higher ratings.

So the trick is not on the ratings itself, but on the choices one makes and how to gather info before playing/buying a game.

1 Like

Diplomacy is obviously the best, as it is the most accurate representation of the game.

1 Like

I think the couple renamed as Calvinball are my favourites. I would definitely buy them

2 Likes

Just added my own entry to the Hobbes list.

10 Likes

This Hobbes thing is addicting. Already have another in the works.

6 Likes