“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Yeah, unless you’re looking to leverage this into a specific profession or the picture is super meaningful to you, I’d skip it.

Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Obviously I didn’t want such a thing, but then the same applies for just about everything I end up buying other than essentials such as shelter, light, heat, food, and water. As Food Chain Magnate teaches us, demand is created by marketing. Now the thing exists and I have been made aware of it, the distribution of the printed matter around the world is a part of the appeal.

We have established that the shipping probably isn’t a total scam, thanks @RogerBW, so my ire at the author has abated. Now it is just a value appraisal, as you also pointed out.

2 Likes

International shipping is very expensive; prices have gone up substantially in the last few years. It costs about $40 to send a flat rate envelope (up to 4 pounds, will hold a nomal sized book) from the US to japan.

1 Like

Personally I’d assume ‘free’ also included the shipping costs.

So, yeah, it’s a now value judgement on a coffee table book.

2 Likes

Oh no! We don’t have a coffee table. Or, wait, is that a good thing? Hmm.

3 Likes

I’ve given my permission to use photos I have published under Creative Commons Licences before… I was never offered free product. Just exposure.

a bit about my online photosharing experiences

One was made into an album cover by an indie artist I believe. Some were used by a news site, a couple were used in some museum exhibit. The ones I am most proud of are featured on wikipedia :slight_smile: These days I do not publish any pictures on my flickr account anymore because it is full–and since I am paying an awful lot of money for Lightroom I am not willing to pay even more money for online photo services. I would have to delete pics from my free flickr account to publish more. Flickr has changed hands and conditions so often, I just don’t trust things enough to pay for them and so no more cc pics from me. Which is a bit sad as there seems to be a certain demand for it and while I briefly considered trying to make money from photography I decided against ist b/c I already ruined 2 of my hobbies making them into jobs (writing code and writing words those 2 would be.

I would skip such a book. It is nice to know you’ve been featured. Printing the book is cheap (though paper is in short supply, too). They should have mentioned shipping was not going to be free. I do think it has got very very expensive.

You could have someone pick it up for you who has to pay less for shipping–family in Europe?–and bring it along or send it with something else when there is an opportunity. But still… I’d skip it or ask for an ebook version.

1 Like

If you weren’t already interested in having a photo book, I’d pass it up.

However, if you are looking for an artifact of the occasion, get a print of the photo framed with a placard saying the name of the book in which it was published.

3 Likes

I have a new favourite German word (if Reddit is accurate) - backpfeifengesicht. Translation ‘a face in need of a fist’

It’s better than schmetterling for butterfly

7 Likes

A backpfeife is rather a slap with an open hand than with a fist.

But it is very close.

4 Likes

Also known as „Hackfresse“

3 Likes

My friend adopted a cat from Cairo and named it after the god of the Moon. She says it’s the cutest and wants petting all the time, and yet this cat has a face like an Victorian Army officer who you’ve disappointed with your shenannigans:

13 Likes

4 Likes

It is indeed Khonsu Cat :slight_smile:

Here he is demanding your worship.

12 Likes

Khonsu Cat? Nah! That is Mr Grumpy Flufflebum. ‘The Third’, if he insists on a bit more gravitas.
Yes, in Hell I will be flayed by kittens…

5 Likes

Found in the AWS terms of service:

42.10. Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.

8 Likes

Something, I forget what, has a license agreement that says you can’t use it for evil, unless you are IBM.

3 Likes

JSON (Douglas Crockford). IBM were the only people who took it seriously enough to say “that clause makes this not a free licence, and we won’t use it unless it is made free”.

3 Likes

Email at work (paraphased): “many thanks for doing this so quickly”
Me (not sent): “I did it on Friday night during the meeting when you asked me to do it, but that was outside my working hours so I didn’t ‘do’ it until this morning.”

5 Likes

Why why why were you in a meeting outside your working hours?
On a FRIDAY NIGHT of all nights?

I know many people who try to make meetings on Fridays taboo.

If I had my way, everyone would be working 4 days a week and we’d skip Fridays alltogether. I am currently full-time until year end then going back to what I have been doing since 2010: 80% aka “no fridays” and that does not make Thursday the new Friday I must add. Thursday is a fully productive day whereas most tech people I know tend to idle a lot on Fridays. The colleague I was working with last Friday nearly fell asleep on me around 3pm!

I am almost as productive with 80% and no Fridays as I am working Fridays…

6 Likes

Board of Trustees meeting, which starts at 4.30 because for them it’s not part of their day jobs. To be fair they did get it done by about 5.50.

I do have a policy of “do nothing that might break stuff” on a Friday after about noon.

6 Likes