“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Today I learned there’s a Japanese card game called Tekeli-li.

5 Likes

I’m told that Call of Cthulhu is the biggest RPG in Japan – and there was an anime series in 2012-3 (Haiyore! Nyarlko) which used a lot of Lovecraftian names, though I’d have to say not really Lovecraftian ideas.

2 Likes

So is Cthulhu just another kaiju in Japan?

2 Likes

If the King of Tokyo Cthulhu expansion can be trusted, yes.

5 Likes

I’m already doing the Perl Weekly Challenges also in Ruby, Python and Rust.

I’ve just added PostScript. Because I like squeezing my thoughts into unusual shapes.

3 Likes

Good news: Cthulu Wars will be eligible for the next SdJ nomination… I just saw on the Spiel Preview that Pegasus is publishing the German version… 6 years later :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Today I learned about the TRAP-BATH split, which isn’t as hazardous to life as it sounds.

2 Likes

Depending on where you are from, Aunt rhymes with Can’t. But, in other places, they don’t. But, in other places, they do.

1 Like

Or “ant”.

Though I did once pass a place offering an “anti natal clinic”.

1 Like

Stop messing with my mind. I am not sure how to pronounce it now. Thanks! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Roald Dahl’s book of children’s poems “Dirty Beasts” has one about an Anteater where the difference in UK/US pronunciation of Aunt / Ant becomes very life-threateningly relevant.

2 Likes

“I taunted my aunt with an ant.”

Now say that five times fast and alternate the pronunciation each time!

I know I must be doing this wrong, because in my head taunted and aunt have the same au sound… :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

I will never make it as spy, I know.

2 Likes

Yep, in my part of the UK:

Aunt = Aren’t
Taunt = Tornt
Ant = Lamp

Apologies once again to anyone coming to English as a second language, it is ridiculous.

6 Likes

Do you have „tea“ or are you Bri’ish like Matt, is all I want to know?

4 Likes

Well, I’m from Brighton on the south coast, and while I have many more "t"s in my accent than some people “Brighton” in particular doesn’t have one in it. “Brigh-uhn”. That’s about the only one I drop though :slight_smile:

Apologies also for the UK having more accent variation per square mile than nearly anywhere in the world.

7 Likes

I’m from part of the UK where we sometimes don’t pronounce the “t” in “water”.

It slips in when I’m tired :laughing:

6 Likes

there are a lot of German dialects specific to very small places. F.e. My local city is part of the larger area where “badisch” is the dialect but the specific variant spoken around here differs from that by a not small margin. On the other hand heavy dialect speaking has declined. So much so that people feel they need to save dialect.

My own only comes out when I get angry, my parents are from a different part of the country… as a child I learned platt which is a northern German variant that is much closer to English. But these days I wouldn’t understand a word of it. Just across the Rhine both Alsacian and Pfälzisch are different enough that I have difficulty understanding someone speaking fully dialect.

When visiting a friend in Luxemburg which sits at another nexus where German and French collide one can easily see how language develops and how regional differences happen.

People here also switch modes depending on who they are talking to. I can always tell when friends here are talking to someone from their home region on the phone.

5 Likes

As an ex-Midlander I appear to have the ability to confuse locals of other areas into thinking I’m one of them.

It’s not really the basis for a superpower is it?

7 Likes

My dear chap, “Brighthelmstone”. This modern fashion for renaming things, really, what can one do?

(Not sure whether I have a natural register beyond “slightly careless RP”. Many Americans think I’m Australian on first meeting.)

When I’ve been out and about in Essen (e.g. getting from the Messe to the middle of town where the parties are) I’ve quite often been addressed by locals and near-locals. Apparently I look like a person who understands public transport systems and how they’re running. (Also German.)

5 Likes