“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Nice yard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grimacing: :space_invader:

4 Likes

That’s only a third of it! We have literally metres more yard just out of view.

5 Likes

9 Likes

I’ll be going on a shortish (1 week) vacation about 3hours from here… we plan on doing some hiking, some friend visiting and some wellness… but there may be time for games so I packed a small bag of them:

• all my Button Shy games (Sprawlo/Agropolis, Tussie Mussie, Food Chain Island and Seasons of Rice)
  • Whitehall Mystery (still haven’t played it)
  • The King is Dead 2nd (it says 2 players on the box)
  • Startups (we might for some reason need a game for more than 2 players?)
  • Dale of Merchants + Hardback because I love deck building
  • Bohnanza 2 Players because Rosenberg
  • Schotten Totten because Knizia
  • Village Green because it’s lovely and smaller than Flourish
  • 6 nimmt because it can be abused for The Game and The Mind and doesn’t really play 2
  • Hive (my partner doesn’t like it though)
  • Railroad Ink Green

This may seem like a lot but there are only 2 slightly bigger boxes here (Whitehall Mystery and The King is Dead and I have this neat little cube bag that’s about the size of one Kallax shelf and it isn’t even full. Last time we traveled I had packed Welcome To, Innovation and something I forget and it turned out I don’t really enjoy Welcome To a lot and my partner hates Innovation :frowning: So this time I am packing more stuff. We’re going by car…

So what is the best 2 player area control game that travels well?

2 Likes

In a weird way, Hanamikoji (or Jixia Academy) is kind of area control, just themed as favor of the geisha (instructors) rather than control of land. Small number of cards, a few tokens, and that’s it.

1 Like

Interesting results following our earlier conversation.

1 Like

8 Minute Empire? (The title’s a lie, mind, and it’s better at 3-4.) Not sure how you’d feel about Onitama.

Go?

Joking aside, Battle for Rokugan plays 2. Not ideal at 2, but the deceit can still be fun.

2 Likes

Go plays well with sticks, stones, and dirt. It’s actually a good camping game candidate!

2 Likes

I think it falls into the same space as Tash Kalar for me and right now… after winning the initial two games where my opponent was still grappling with getting back into the game, I have lost 3 or so in a row and losing my 4th. I thought I was better at losing gracefully than I am. Man, it is frustrating to be so much worse at a game than your opponent. If I were matched with my partner, I’d be winning easily. So I am apparently getting taught a lesson. I would not play Tash Kalar with my partner precisely because we’re not matched well in that particular kind of strategic pattern matching.

1 Like

I would think you’d need quite the amount of material?
At this point, neither of us knows more than the most basic of rules. My partner got into it when the AI games were going on, I did a few tutorials at one point but I don’t think any of the strategy stuck.

I would think though that the materials should travel easily… shouldn’t they? I could imagine a cloth board to carry the game pieces in.

1 Like

I suppose I had a beginner size board in mind. I haven’t played a full game at a campsite before.

Real pieces are too heavy/bulky for me to take on vacation.

2 Likes

It’s possible! I’ve managed it on the app before with an AI opponent.

2 Likes

Yes, quarter of the full size could be fun.

1 Like

I’ve probably managed an 8 minute game of Twilight Struggle on the app with an AI opponent…

(A quick search reveals that someone has recorded a 2 minute 32 second win!)

2 Likes

I have a feeling sometimes that I could throw a game in that time. At least these days I get to Modern War more often. Dragging a slow death, maybe, but I get to see the 80s at least!

Who says it needs to be Halloween to play with face paints?
Quite pleased with this considering my lack of artistic skills.

I did myself up as a tired man in his mid-forties.

10 Likes

“My costume? Middle-aged white man who thinks that everything is his by right.” Hmm, must try that some year…

4 Likes

I showed 18DO to my dad today and he seemed quite delighted. And then began telling me how the geography wasn’t quite accurate–he conceded it was probably necessary for the game. Then he showed me the hex where he went to school. Next he listed all three breweries that are missing from the game and informed me the beers of all of them (both the ones in and those missing from the game) are still being made–though today they are all made by the same company in the same facility which he does NOT appreciate.

All that alone was worth the price.

8 Likes

As a joke a while back I put together a thingy that would overlay an OGRE-scale hex grid onto a selected section of OpenStreetMap. Some people found it great fun, others deeply disturbing.

4 Likes