Our 5 Favourite New Card Games in 2021!

2021-09-02T19:03:52Z

3 Likes

I want to buy a deck of cards and a sharpie right now.

6 Likes

oh man oh man I love these 5 (except I haven’t played The Crew 2: Electric Boogaloo. Im gonna put Shaman in my list.

EDIT: I really love this review. It’s very fun. At the risk of sounding mean, it sounds like the older SUSD vids that were nutty.

4 Likes

There seemed like an energy in bouncing off of each other. Tom is good value.

Anyone take note of Quinn’s full Fantasy realm. I noticed Grace of Kings.

1 Like

Whelp, guess we won’t be seeing Tom anymore. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m feeling ahead of the curve now, having already picked up Royal Visit, both Oriflammes and Codex Naturalis.

I also own several decks of cards, but that doesn’t really count.

3 Likes

You mean several Regicide decks! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Exactly! :wink:

3 Likes

Oriflamme was one of those random games I took a shot at and worked.

Royal Visit - it’s a Knizia. Nuff said.

The Crew and Fantasy Realms were introduced to our club very early. The app is very good too!

Stick Em is very mean. Thats why I love it :rofl: and Capstones are very much an “insta-try” to me

1 Like

I gotta admit, I’m not enthusiastic about the sponsorship from an Asmodee subsidiary.

2 Likes

Yeh, that did strike me as odd.

1 Like

I think Oriflamme is a fantastic game - my group doesn’t seem to agree tho. I bought Shamans, but haven’t played it yet.

Yeah, but I do feel pretty confident that the crew would not endorse something they did not feel was a good product or service. So I don’t mind too much. As long as it does not become a regular thing anyway.

1 Like

Somewhere in the dim and distant past, I seem to recall the team had a bit of a rant about their journalistic backgrounds/integrity vs the slippery slope of advertising/gifts/sponsorship/etc. If I knew where that was, I’d be somewhat inclined to ask them about it. I’m happy for them to be making money, and I’m not saying that bad things must inevitably come from this… but I still think this is definitely A Significant Thing which has just happened.

5 Likes

I mean technically there’s already been Quinn’s crokinole board and gaming table to reckon with if we’re tracking things… I’m less concerned when it’s game adjacent rather than being paid to spruik a particular game. And I think part of the motivation here is probably how much SUSD (like many of the rest of us) has depended on BGA for our boardgaming fix through lockdowns and pandemic, which I get.

4 Likes

Now had a chance to watch it. I’m getting a feeling that Tom is playing old-Quinns (enthusiastic), and Quinns is playing old-Paul (suspicious).

Yeah, really not happy about that explicit sponsorship. I don’t love the Skillshare segments on NPI, but at least it’s not a directly boardgame related thing: if SU&SD come to rely on this money, can we trust their opinions on the next Asmodée-group game they review? (We’ve had very similar discussions at my employer.)

6 Likes

I really liked the idea of modifying a deck of normal playing cards.

2 Likes

Curiously, when I watched their previous “top 5 new card games” video I immediately wanted every single game (and ultimately did buy them all). Ignoring “The Crew” (which was in that earlier video as well), only one of their four favourites in the new video seems very appealing to me; and as I have that one already, and don’t plan to buy the second Crew anytime soon… no new purchases for me! Which is probably a good thing : )

3 Likes

Honestly, the “includes paid promotion” message that pops up at the start distracted me throughout the entire review. “Why are they covering The Crew again, despite having just done so in both video and podcast format? Is it because they were paid?” and “How will they pick their fifth Top 5 game? Have they picked Regicide because they were paid?” were both actual thoughts that I had while watching.

As for how being sponsored by an independent company wholly(?) owned by publisher Asmodée fits into their pledge to “never accept money from designers or publishers in exchange for coverage”… would that be the very definition of a grey area?

I don’t recall any of their Twitch streams ever using Board Game Arena, they usually seem to use Tabletopia or begrudgingly resort to Tabletop Simulator. I’ll be interested to see if this changes in future.

5 Likes

And that’s half the problem, isn’t it? Even if they’re 100% impartial, the viewer can only be confident of that impartiality when there’s no reason to suspect external bias. As soon as you introduce a potential reason, you begin to erode that hard-earned trust.

It’s their show, and they can do as they wish (or as they need, as the case may be); but it’s a pretty surprising move, because I’m very confident that they wouldn’t have entered into this lightly.

1 Like