Our 5 Favourite New Card Games in 2021!

They definitely used it when they played Oriflamme, but I don’t know about anything else.

Shout out for “Transformation” playing cards, which were super popular 200 years ago and are basically fully in the tradition of Tom’s sharpie art.

I wrote about them (and fortune telling with playing cards) and was sent a pack by a modern publisher!

10 Likes

I meant to comment before about their Regicide coverage in this video… I’m mostly sure this was simply them minimising their actions for the sake of brevity, but when Quinns demonstrated playing hearts and tossed the cards on top of the draw pile instead of underneath, I found myself thinking “it’s no wonder you managed to win your second game” : )

7 Likes

It was a little jarring to see the Board Game Arena sponsorship, but I don’t really have a problem with it. The way I see it, the sponsorship is either (a) the first misstep on a slippery slope towards corporate-driven greed and the complete abandonment of journalistic integrity, or (b) a way for SUSD to shout out a well-liked site that contributed a substantial amount to their continued sanity, mental well-being, and interest in board games during a global pandemic that castrated the idea of sitting around a table with friends, while also earning some money in the process. I trust the team enough to believe that it’s not the former.

3 Likes

As a devoted listener of the podcast, I mostly found this video repetitive, so a little boring. They’ve definitely talked about the Knizia, the fantasy realms one, and Regicide on the podcast recently and I don’t feel there was really anything added in this video coverage. Add to that Crew having been covered extensively in videos before and there might have been very little new content here. I say might have been because the other games might be new coverage or I just might not be remembering them off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh, of the quick mention ones, Spicy was definitely covered somewhere before. Podcast or mention in a previous card game video or something. I’m sure I’ve heard them talk more extensively about it before.

5 Likes

Spicy was defo mentioned in the podcast as one of their bullet points in an episode

3 Likes

I think every game was mentioned before except maybe oriflamme? Felt a bit like “easy weak back into work after holidays@

3 Likes

I had definitely heard them mention most of those games before. I am considering Coyote as I do not have a copy of Liar’s Dice. Also it would fit right in with my unplayed copy of Spicy.

1 Like

Well also first multi-presenter review for A While.

3 Likes

I think many people already have a copy of Liar’s dice the way that most people have a copy of Regicide. The latter is more likely just because of the quantity of dice needed in the former (five per player), but if you have that many dice then you could try this game too. Although Quinns did make Coyote sound more inspired by Liar’s Dice, so YMMV.

1 Like

I have played liar‘s dice. But I find the idea of having a card game version+ not unappealing. Also Spicy is rather pretty :slight_smile: (I do have enough dice easily, but I don‘t have the little cups to hide them. Of course those could also be improvised…

1 Like

I think the newer podcast format is the issue it’s a bit all over the place. I miss the less in depth discussion and more haphazard format.

Although I can’t get enough of Quinn’s or Tom trying to sing the stinger.

2 Likes

Stumbled across some 2 player official variant rules for Oriflamme incase anyone who bought a copy is interested.

2 player rules

4 Likes

I like Spicy a lot after playing it a couple times. It fixes the problems I have with Cheat:

• it’s got a hard cut off when the deck runs out, so doesn’t stay past its welcome
  • it rewards players for calling people out, instead of putting all the risk on them
    It’s also prettier than most standard card decks, and has a bit of a twist on the cheating formula where you can choose to cheat with either suit or number which adds a tiny bit of extra strategy. Overall it’s a real winner, I’d play it over Cheat every time.
4 Likes

I’m sure they’ve talked about Oriflamme on the podcast as well

Like @yashima I have an unplayed copy of Spicy. I bought it partly because of the art and partly because Quinns had really liked it in the podcast (it was the episode where they talked about Geometric Art as that’s what I was actually shopping for [edit: the very 114th episode]); but I clearly recall considering it a gamble at the time; not having been entirely convinced by the description. I’ve had 2 or 3 opportunities to try it since I bought it, but every time I’ve skimmed over the rules I’ve ended up thinking “how is this even a game?” and choosing something else, because I don’t feel like I’ll be able to get anyone else excited about something if I can’t explain why it would be fun. This is probably the same reason I thought it was a gamble originally.

2 Likes

I picked up Spicy a while ago, also due to the podcast where they discussed it, but also because it was on sale for 50% off at my FLGS. My wife and I tried it out when we got home, and it is a fun game, but does need more people to really shine. We have played it with 4 and it works much better. It is one of those games where everyone groans and cheers at the various called bluffs, successful or not.

3 Likes

I think I might have talked myself into selling it unplayed. I guess the problem with Spicy for me (and the reason why it probably was a terrible decision to add it to my shopping cart; curse the quirky and attractive artwork) is that bluffing doesn’t much appeal to me. There are exceptions, though; so it’s hard for me to be absolutely certain. On the one hand I think of Poker as one of the nine circles of hell. On the other hand I’ve enjoyed The Resistance and The Sheriff of Nottingham. I fear that Spicy might be more in the former camp as a “pure bluffing” game, though? You have to play a particular card, and you have to lie if you don’t have that card, and then people have to guess if you’re lying… and that’s the entire game?! The more I think about it, the dumber it seems – and so I also have this nagging feeling that I must be completely missing something important which makes it “a game” rather than “guessing”.

3 Likes

I sold my copy unplayed too. Not for lack of trying, but it really is a tricky sell. Skull was another victim of disinterest.

1 Like

So I am not the only one who has sold games unplayed? Puh. And I thought that was just me. I am holding on to Spicy for now. But I have a couple that I traded/sold or am trying to get rid of unplayed. Mostly this happens when I buy games on sale (Teotihuacan & Keyper are the first two that come to mind).

Sale is bad. Don’t buy games on sale. “Because it is cheap” is not a good reason to buy a game unless it was already on my lists when it went on sale.

6 Likes