None Dare Call It Timeline

https://wikitrivia.tomjwatson.com/

But that’s clearly what it is: arrange a series of historical events into order, though without the card choice of the original.

4 Likes

My best streak so far is 13.

I keep getting in situations where the event I’m placing turns out to be, for example, 1782 and I already had a 1779 on my timeline and I put it on the wrong side. If I could get events more than 5 years apart I could probably go longer. Though there are the occasional ones I just have no clue.

2 Likes

I managed 15, only because I had a lot of events far apart (iPhone 11 Vs founding of the first Egyptian dynasty)

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

14 on my first go, great game!!

1 Like

Yeah… I’m going to need this as an Android app

Weord how I got a wrong for events with the same year

They probably have a date, too, right?

I feel like the number of 19th century events can be brutal

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

One of it’s foibles, apparently for two events in the same year, whichever one you get second has to go on the right or its “wrong”.

I just found myself metagaming it, guessing unknowable information by the type of description, or quality of the picture. Sometimes it even gives a free shot, like this:

Capture2

Some of the information, though, is just a bit wrong, or vague enough to not be able to tell what they’re asking, like how both Italy and France were “created” after WWII, or how they just put all New Testament Biblical figures as being born in 100 BC, which would have all of the Apostles living 130-190 years :thinking:

Still, an exceptionally functional interface for what it is :nerd_face: Though I do wish they’d have an option to remove individuals, as they don’t tend to be recognizable outside of a very specific audience (I’m an American, and I didn’t recognize any of their “American” people :sweat_smile:)

(for anyone wondering, my best score is 16)

3 Likes

Holy Moley… thought I did well with 9!

1 Like

This is where concepts like countries show that they are social constructs. Which one do we consider the founding of France? When Clovis became King of the Franks? When Charlemagne split his land and it became West Francia? When one of the Capet kings changed his title from King of the Franks to King of France? The French Revolution? And in this case, the Fifth Republic?

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s all fun and games until you get an entity which changed its name/reformed/reorganised/merged etc. Then you’re at the mercy of whatever the question-setter’s opinion is.

As if France didn’t exist before the fifth republic.

2 Likes

Did you know the company ‘Puma’ is over 2000 years old?

5 Likes

Never mind countries, software is a social construct!

5 Likes

Not only that, but founded in a year that doesn’t exist.
Presumably following a split from Adidas in 10BC.

3 Likes

I always seem to get asked to place the dates of creation of half a dozen universities…

1 Like

We all know the rule:

For countries, you use the latest version.
For software, you use the most recent pirated version before they put it on the cloud.

7 Likes

I’ve had one go and got 17. Might retire on that.

My main interest here is what’s the stack it’s all built in and where did they get the events and timings from?

2 Likes