Mottainai or The Language Discussions

Oh gosh. I don’t have time at the moment to read this entire thread but I love this. Linguistics was a part of my college major.

What is fascinating here is that some cultures hear a difference in the pronunciation while others don’t. The reality is that sounds, like color, are more of an analog (continuous) scale. As we age, our brains create a digital rubric (distinct cut-offs, like the continental divide) to define separate sounds.

A child hears every sound differently, which is why they may have trouble understanding two different people saying the same thing. My ‘D’ and your ‘D’ may have a few nanoseconds difference between the voicing and the alveolar stop, and to a child they are two different sounds. Just like they have to learn that a dalmatian and a newfoundland are both dogs, while a black bear is not, even though the newfoundland shares characteristics of both, they have to learn that my D and your D are the same thing, while the T is not.

A fascinating example of this is in Taiwanese/Hokkien, which my wife’s family speaks. So we English speakers have ‘D’ and ‘T’ on a spectrum. They have identical ingredients, an alveolar stop (or the silence and puff of air made with your tongue on the roof of your mouth) and voicing (the eeeee sound). For ‘D’, the voicing begins simultaneously or even precedes the stop. For ‘T’, there is a pause between the Stop and the voicing. Now, these two elements can be positioned anywhere in relation to each other. For whatever reason, we English speakers have settled on roughly 7 nanoseconds as the cut-off. If there is 6 nanoseconds between the Stop and the Voicing, we will hear a D. If there is 8, we will hear a T.

Taiwanese Hokkien has three consonants on this same spectrum. So from maybe 0-4 ns is the ‘D’ (in the Romanized alphabet), 4-10ns or so is T, which we don’t have, and 10+ ns is written Th, and it’s like a harshly pronounced T to English ears. That middle consonant is an absolute killer for an English speaker trying to listen to Hokkien because it unpredictably sounds like one or the other and never its own thing.

Anyway, bottom line, is that kids can hear every minute difference but as you grow up, in the languages you speak, you draw bright lines and you can no longer differentiate between sounds that fall within shared boundaries. This is helpful when speaking to different people inside your own language. It is also what makes it hard for people to understand unfamiliar accents or learn languages with different boundaries.

I appreciate Ben’s opening definitions. It helps me know what I am aiming for. (I’ve definitely been saying muh-TIE-nigh). But I also have some delight when we can’t tell the difference between me saying muh-TIE-nigh and a Japanese speaker saying muh ’ ta-ee-na-ee.

I have a little experience with the glottal stop (yes, that’s the right term) due to my exposure to Hokkien. Also the hidden double syllable (Taiwanese for “water” is tsui, and the u-i is somewhere between what we would call a single and double syllable, I had to practice for a week before they said I was intelligible). It’s kind of like a zen thing, I have to hold tsoo-ee and swee both in my head and then shut brain function off and aim for the middle.

I guess I’m just enjoying this discussion and the overlay of reality with academics. For anyone over about 10 years old, you’ll have to listen and practice to hear these distinctions in vowels and timing and then practice more to reproduce. It’s a little easier once you know what you are listening for. It has been both fun and frustrating for me on the Hokkien side of things.

9 Likes

My kids are having the typical Japanese trouble of being unable to pronounce the differences between v and b, and l and r, for example, but I hope they reach the point where they can distinguish the two.

I think those are less subtle distinctions than those you wrote about, but people with insufficient exposure to English can have trouble even hearing the differences.

4 Likes

I know that in Spanish, with our rolled r, kids can take up to 7 or 8 years old mispronouncing them, and it’s not an issue.

And I come from Spanish area where both b and v sound the same, and any 'th" as in “third” sound is made into an 's" sound, but my parents are from a region (Valencia) that hasn’t got those phonetic distinctions in their accent, and I always could tell the difference thanks to that, so don’t despair.

Even though in English it was not natural to me to make b and v sounds different, thanks to hearing it from my parents (even though their accent has gone a lot milder after living so many years away from their region) it made it a lot easier for me to cross that bridge.

3 Likes

See, to me (as an English speaker who is terrible at any other language or accent), I can’t do rolled rrrr’s at all. I don’t physically know how.

But I also don’t understand how anyone can have difficulty with B / V or L / R. I get they’re both very common problems worldwide, but to me they literally involve opposite mouth shapes.

B starts with your lips pursed like you’re going to say p and expelling air, and V starts with them pulled back and your upper teeth touching your bottom lip which you let air out slowly to make the vvvv. Nothing at all alike.

And L starts with your tongue totally forward and up touching the top of your mouth just behind your teeth, lllllll, where R has your lower jaw jutted forward and your mouth open, and is impossible to do if your tongue is touching your teeth. Once you move your tongue, you literally can’t make the wrong sound.

But yeah, I do understand the difficulty. I couldn’t get the German “ch” (halfway between a hard ch and soft sh) even though I understood how to physically do it.

4 Likes

I was trying to Google to clarify my memory of what a linguist friend told me about the R/L swap when native speakers of a number of Asian languages speak English. In the process, I started watching a video that explains it in good detail and, in fact, it is much more complex than my linguist friend mentioned.

It’s an interesting watch

3 Likes

That’s a great vid! Yes, I do a “Bunched R”, which doesn’t have any of the Spanish / Japanese flip to the top of the mouth at all. Really interesting.

3 Likes

The languages I’ve learnt growing up in the Philippines don’t have a th sound, so I don’t pronounce ‘th’ normally. So, my “tree” and “three” sounds the same. I started to pronounce ‘th’, but I don’t think it sounds English lmao

3 Likes

Nice video, yeah.

2 Likes

It has all to do with your early years when you develop your speech skills. If you didn’t practice how to roll your r as a kid, it is going to be very difficult as an adult, because the muscles and shape of your tongue and inner mouth surfaces will not be used to do it, so it will be very unnatural to them (and sound forced, or not so accurate). The r rolling is actually one of the later sounds to be able to be developed, that’s why parents are told that they should not need to worry about an speech impediment in Spain if their children are still not rolling the r when they are 5 or 6, as their mouth is still changing.

B and V and L and R are similar, but more to do with how your brain is wired. There is not so much of a physical component in the equation. We all have noses, but unless you’re Brazilian or Portuguese, you will struggle to do a nasal vowel. My ex-flatmate João always laughed at how I called him Jo Ah Oh, instead of his actual name, because that middle a is nasal, and you need to sort of make your palate vibrate to pronounce it right. Coming from a language with only 5 phonic vowels (Spanish), it is tricky to move to a language with 14 and and 7 more nasal diphtongs.

Although if there is a language that I had real struggle to make sounds to was Polish. Where I come from, sh, s, or a soft c (like in think) are all sounded like in an s (think, sink or shrink would be all interchangeable on that same initial sound) so adapting to the million s, sh, zs, or others was a nightmare.

4 Likes

B and V both involve lips, the difference is that V uses your top teeth instead on the front of the mouth. L and R are both alveolar (the tip or front of your tongue goes on the gum behind your top front teeth). The difference for L is just one touch, while a rolled R the bridge is broken (several times on a rolled one) by the air (and the tongue muscles doing the repeating sound really fast).

It is easy to see how they can interchange if you have not learned either of the sounds.

6 Likes

I am learning a lot here! Thanks everyone.

4 Likes

Thats a lot of Irish accents too!

3 Likes

It took me a while to catch this, but two or three co-workers I had back in the UK never did the actual th sound in three, but an f sound. So their three and free were very much sounding the same…

4 Likes

Yeah the f (or if it is in the middle of the word a v) for th is relatively common in many parts of the UK, most evident, I think, in Sarf London.

4 Likes

Sarf Lunnon, please!
Fanks.

7 Likes

I find I can get used to most linguistic quirks and differences without too much difficulty.

But for some reason ‘lego’ with an ‘s’ on the end is something that has always jarred, and continues to jar. I wonder why? Maybe because lego is something that has been in my life for as long as I can remember?

Whatever the reason, the title of this thread just seems plain wrong to me, however hard I try not to let it! Anyone else (presumably English people?) find this?

4 Likes

Yup, It always feels wrong to me, but it’s the standard North American usage, so fair enough for them.

(Because I sometimes work for SJGames, I have to be able to switch to writing in en_US. Remembering that it’s almost always “around” rather than “round” is the hardest part.)

3 Likes

I’m North American and I’ll never get used to the sound of “Legos”. I’m not one to rag on anyone who says it, but I’ll always just use Lego for singular or plural use. I dunno, it’s a proper noun.

2 Likes

Yup.

(I have nothing else to add)

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me? A LEGO set is made of individual LEGO pieces, but I tend to think “Hey, can you pass those LEGOs” sounds better than “Hey, can you pass those LEGO.”

That is a LEGO Castle. It is made with 1,520 LEGO… nope, that just sounds wrong.

But I’m wrong about a lot of stuff, so you’re all probably right! I blame English-as-Fifth-Language parents.

2 Likes