Monsters & Magic

Jon runs us through an adventure in Sarah Newton’s Monsters & Magic.

Session 1 - The Donkey Lives: Go to the village, they said. Get a barrel of grog, they said. How hard can it be?

Session 2 - Strolling Purposefully: We make progress. No, really, we do. The GM said so.

Session 3 - I’ve Met Mobs Before: In town, but distracted by a side issue (not to mention one of us being unsure which side to support).

Session 4 - Canoodling with the Squirrels: It must be the dungeon. I mean, it’s underground. With bonus cockroach wrestling.

Session 5 - Dungeoneering is Easy, Comedy is Hard: More plot. And we have a plan. Now all we need is party unity.

Session 6 - All Right, Let’s Go To The Bedroom: We solve the mystery, with only minor digressions. Really.

4 Likes

I’ll identify the module I’m running after the next session, as the title is a bit of a spoiler for the players :grin:

1 Like

“The Seemingly Innocent Forest Full of Horrible Unavoidable Death”?

4 Likes

I suppose calling it Murderwood was a little unsubtle.

2 Likes

You’ve got my attention with this system! I’ve owned it for a while, but haven’t gotten my group of miscreant murder-hobos to try it.

Of particular interest is that magic system @BigJackBrass is rereading before next session…

In other news, Ignis sounds like the delightful combination of a pyromaniac, faithful cultist, and curiously enthusiastic evangelical. @Lordof1 appears to have his alternate persona well in hand!

Now I’m off to check for cherry grog at the local grocery. Cheers! Looking forward to more-

2 Likes

:thinking:

Anyway, the magic system does seem to be quite flexible. I wanted something where I could use an abstract spell component element, because I think it really adds to the folk/fairytale flavour of magic, but without the bookkeeping nightmare of many games which have tried to include it. In a way this works a bit like the resource dice of The Black Hack.

Incidentally, Tina sometimes drinks a cherry beer and I’m picturing the cherry grog being a bit like that but with higher potency.

2 Likes

Really, @BigJackBrass - the delight is from the perspective of the listener…

One might imagine the GM having a completely different perspective on @Lordof1’s antics and shenanigans.

Thanks for sharing your game!

1 Like

I’m glad I never have to GM myself.

3 Likes

Although I might well pay to watch that game.

1 Like

Session 2 - Strolling Purposefully: We make progress. No, really, we do. The GM said so.

3 Likes

In discussing the fallen foe from the first session I immediately heard a parody of League of Gentlemen:

“We DID burn him!”

This continued to be an issue in part 3. Still, we’d left Ignis alone with the corpse for more than a minute, we just sort of assumed it had been burned…

1 Like

I do find Ignis’ pyromania impressive

I’ve played pyromaniacs before, but he takes it to a whole new level.

Session 3 - I’ve Met Mobs Before: In town, but distracted by a side issue (not to mention one of us being unsure which side to support).

2 Likes

The adventure we’re using: The Stealer of Children from Small Niche Games.

As I write, a mere $1.49 at DTRPG:

1 Like

You didn’t expect me to have spent a lot on these sessions, did you? :blush:

1 Like

Not in the slightest! (Goodness knows I don’t.) But I thought some of our legion of fan might be interested.

1 Like

Nick has managed to create a singularly unlovely religion. :smile:

This is very entertaining. Thank you.

2 Likes

He has never let us down.

2 Likes