Monsters & Magic

I don’t understand! It’s an extremely friendly religion! We have open mornings, fire pits, everything!

Die by fire, everyone.

5 Likes

“Everyone please stand. We shall now sing hymn 232…”

2 Likes

I have an image of the pamphlets self immolating like mission Impossible. Peasants like them for use as firelighters. Thoroughly enjoying this

3 Likes

Session 4 - Canoodling with the Squirrels: It must be the dungeon. I mean, it’s underground. With bonus cockroach wrestling.

4 Likes

Session 5 - Dungeoneering is Easy, Comedy is Hard: More plot. And we have a plan. Now all we need is party unity.

3 Likes

We’ll be following this episode with a live cage fight between Roger, Nick and Mark to decide what the party does next.

In my defence, the knife is a tool of my trade and was on my belt already.

1 Like

I don’t break character til the DVD commentary.

Session 6 - All Right, Let’s Go To The Bedroom: We solve the mystery, with only minor digressions. Really.

2 Likes

For the second episode of Wharticulture (out at some future date) we returned to this game and discussed how things went. It’s left me pondering “old school” games, and others filling the fantasy RPG niche, and wondering whether to run a couple of different ones to see how they compare.

At the moment we’re playing a Tunnels & Trolls scenario, a game which has few mechanical similarities to D&D and most OSR systems and which, very often, lends itself to light-hearted or broadly drawn adventures. Monsters & Magic promised something in the D&D style but with a more consistent and flexible core system inspired by more modern games. Other games like Castles & Crusades offer different rules but a similar goal, whereas Fantasy AGE, for example, sets out to be a modern game filling D&D’s shoes but without wearing its clothes.

Part of the problem I find in comparing such systems is that we play once a week and it’s an important fun fixture for us. I don’t want to grind through similar games and similar adventures if doing so becomes a chore. Ideally I could read a game and instantly spot the magic, knowing that I could take it straight to the group and have a fantastic time.

I’m wary of the notion that a gaming holy grail exists, even from the perspective of a single person or small group. Wharticulture left me wondering what I want from a game and whether, even after so long, I’ve ever actually known.

3 Likes

I don’t want to tread on the toes of Wharticulture #2, so I’ll just say that I have a similar feeling about systems for my preferred – I can’t call it genre, let’s say setting, more or less. Which is

• basically the “long 20th century”, from mid-Victorian to the present day, and futures that look plausibly like any part of that period;
  • generally with faintly magical or hidden-powers stuff going on, often restricted to a small group of people rather than generally known;
  • often a bit larger than life but not full-on cinematic.

GURPS does this for me a lot of the time, but it does carry with it more faff than I would ideally like, particularly where character creation is concerned (and the complexity of the character sheet – thanks to @Agemegos for helping to clarify my thoughts on this). Having tried a bunch of options, I suspect I am going to have to build my own game engine.

1 Like

df950915

1 Like