Limericks (with mandatory title extension)

He was down from Scotland at the time.

1 Like

So far God, if there be one, has not smitten me, which could be evidence of his benevolence or of his poor aim.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m sorry to learn that there seemingly is no such office.

1 Like

Or an appreciation of a good Limerick

2 Likes

I’m oddly reminded of that story that J.B.S. Haldane, asked what he had learned about God from his studies as a naturalist, replied, “He has an inordinate fondness for beetles.”

3 Likes

The limerick of his that I know is

There once was a Communist, Lenin,
Who did two or three million men in.
That’s a lot to have done in,
But where he did one in,
His follower, Stalin, did ten in.

2 Likes

There may have been a footnote about that, but I no longer have the book (Kingsley Amis, Memoirs).

1 Like

Well, we know that Conquest wrote at least one limerick, so he might have written more. And my copy of the Oxford Book of Light Verse, edited by Amis, contains quite a few limericks, so we know he collected them. On the other hand, poets who collect limericks may also write them, and there’s ample evidence of Amis’s sense of humor.

1 Like

Amis and Conquest egged one another on in the composition of limericks of great obscenity and flawless metre.

I can connive at filth but I cannot stand poor scansion.

2 Likes

They also edited several anthologies of original science fiction stories.

1 Like

guide to pronunciation

The integral sec y dy
From zero to one-sixth of pi
Is the log to base e
Of the square-root of three
Times the sixty fourth power of i.

3 Likes

I knew an old man from Jakarta
By God! a magnificent farter.
He could fart anything
From “God Save the King”
To Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata”

1 Like

From that line I see that the composer of that limerick spoke a nonrhotic dialect of English. When I read it I had to say “Sonarta.”

2 Likes

Snarter, innit.
Sorry, sarf lunnon creeps in now and again (whenever I open the door).

2 Likes

My favourite not only rhymes two forbidden words, but also sexually objectifies both women and men. Well, undergrads, anyway. But it has perfect meter and is full of internal rhymes.

Indecent, improper, offensive classic Limerick: DO NOT READ

On the banks of the Cam sat Lord Buckingham
A-twiddling his thumbs and a-sucking 'em
And watching the stunts
Of the cvnts in the punts
And the tricks of the pricks who were fvcking 'em.

1 Like

My best effort in that vein is marred by having too much wishful thinking instead of the historical accuracy of your example:

The Communists, Engels and Marx,
Produced, when they argued, such sparks,
That their writings caught fire
And burned up like a pyre,
And thus put a stop to their larks.

2 Likes

Oh, I do wish . . .

1 Like

I assume this is the other:

pronunciation

A dozen, a gross, and a score
Plus three times the square root of four
Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven
Is nine squared and not a bit more.

3 Likes

It is.

lorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet consectetur adipisci[ng]velit, sed quia non-numquam [do] eius modi tempora inci[di]dunt, ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum[d] exercitationem ullam corporis suscipitlaboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit, qui inea voluptate velit esse, quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum, qui dolorem eum fugiat, quo voluptas nulla pariatur? [33] At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus, qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti, quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint, obcaecati cupiditate non-provident, similique sunt in culpa, qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio, cumque nihil impedit, quo minus id, quod maxime placeat, facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet, ut et voluptates repudiandae sint et molestiae non-recusandae. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat…

1 Like

Topical Limerick

A Limerick’s rhyme-scheme is easy
And their meter is joyous and breezy
But their wit is inclined
All too often, we find,
To degrade from the ribald to sleazy.

2 Likes