Last game you DIDN'T buy?

I’ve only played Wonderland’s War twice, and I don’t have the cool deluxe version (or even the cooler tokens), but I have to say - it’s really good

3 Likes

the normal one looks really good to me.

I continue to not buy Whistle Mountain. I only hear good things, but rarely mentioned at all. I keep pressuring my friends to buy it so I can play it. That’s my solution, so far unsuccessful.

6 Likes

My FLGS has a used copy of Men at Work for $30. The only dexterity game I currently own is Catacombs (well, and Catacombs and Castles), so this would add something to my collection that fills a gap that no other game I own does.

But, I’ve just spent a bunch on a couple of expansions to games, plus the games I received for my birthday. It’s time to stop for a bit.

4 Likes

Ooh, I hope you get some fun from it. I think I’m safe in calling it my favourite stacking game at this point. My other stackers all have their place, but all things being equal, if Men at Work is a viable choice, it’s the one I push for. Something nuts happens at least once per game, almost guaranteed.

Remember, this is the last game you didn’t buy thread! :wink:

5 Likes

I’m having trouble resisting expansions for Root (a game I will play for the first time tomorrow). They all just look so cool…

And by resisting, I mean I’ve bought two of the small expansions (basically, more cards and more Vagabond figures).

1 Like

Cat in the Box looks ace, but $54 (£44) for a trick taking game direct from Bezier Games is too much for me.

Might get a UK release though

2 Likes

I think I’ve talked myself out of buying A Touch of Evil. Part of me really wants it (and has done for years), but after some more reading today, I have a strong suspicion that maybe it’s not the right game for me.

I also watched the video review by “Board to Death” and was slightly disgusted when, after they’d said how much they’d enjoyed the game (9/10), their closing words were “not to mention they have expansions, which I hope they’ll send us very soon.” at which point I instantly lost all respect for them. If you like the game that much, buy the damn expansions yourself.

2 Likes

I’m looking for the expansions at a reasonable price. :slight_smile:

I do enjoy the base game but I don’t think it’s a game for everyone. It’s less “heroes save the world” and more “heroes survive a bunch of random stuff happening, and eventually get heroic enough to take on the bad guy”. For me it’s a story generator very much in the mould of Firefly.

1 Like

I was looking at that. Will wait too

My first observation of the game is that it was very much in spirit a game I made up with my partner. The game we made up was love letter but just making up the cards as you go along - so one person would pretend they had the protection card. Guards, you might guess, were useless.

Resisted the urge to buy two huge boxes of Millennium Blades. It may well be as great as everyone says, but I don’t have the space.

6 Likes

It’s definitely something I would say try before you buy. I love Millennium Blades, but it can be group-dependant

3 Likes

I just resisted buying Railroad Ink Yellow despite picking up Green and already owning Blue and Red.

I know it’s silly, but $20 not spent on RRI is $20 I can put towards editing my next novel, or paying for my last semester of university.

… whee…

8 Likes

Anyway, Tom said green is best.

6 Likes

Currently fighting hard to not buy TTR: Europe because:-

1. I have five maps I hardly play already
  2. Just because I can get it cheap it doesn’t mean I should
  3. I have five maps already
7 Likes

Get TTR: Europe and ditch TTR: Original

4 Likes

Nostalgia keeps it.

That and Carcassonne are my original boardgames.

3 Likes

Just saw that a re-vamped Kingmaker is on KS for about 14 more hours. I played this game based on the Wars of the Roses back in high school occasionally and have fond memories of it.

However, it is about $73 to back, probably $85ish after shipping costs, for a game that typically takes hours to play, and even with the new Kingmaker II rules, it estimates 45 min + 30 min per player. I expect I would get this, go through the rules and bits, then have it sit on a shelf forever. Even with the included solo mode, I just don’t think I can justify the purchase. It would be based purely on nostalgia.

Passing.

6 Likes