Last game you bought?

2 Likes

Yeah I think that - worse comes to worst - the theme might still carry this for me. I already tried a solo game which was good fun. Whatā€™s your take on the optimal player count? BGG says best with 3 which is sometimes an awkward number for me.

2 Likes

After some deliberation, and the kind folks here offering opinions in a thread I created about what to pick up for my birthday at the end of the month, these two arrived on my doorstep today.

In the end I decided to opt with games with themes I liked (plus Everdell might get my other half interested), mechanics I like, and out-of-the-box solo. I also gave them a fair play in TTS too just to get the idea (in fact bought the TFM Steam version for solo play too), so I know Iā€™ll actually enjoy them. My parents are asking what I want too now, so I think Great Western Trail will be on its way before long.

7 Likes

Brilliant. Thank you

Iā€™ll start subscribing

1 Like

Iā€™ve enjoyed games with two, three and four. Iā€™m not sure I have a preference on any of those. Iā€™d give a slight edge to three and four as the revelations/genetics are a real limitation to players then. With two you just lose the ā€˜firstā€™ bonus

1 Like

I had to return a package to the post office and FLGS was basically just two streets away how could I not go when they were open another 20 minutes?

I so missed shopping for anything but groceries, I may have gone overboard just a tiny bits. Possibly. Maybe.

So I came home with

• Wavelength (in Germany called Perfect Match for some weirdo reason but at least they kept the psychedelic cover art)
  • El Dorado - after many a recommendation from some weird place on the internet where people talk about boardgames and cooking and their gardens.
  • Welcome To - has been on my list for a while and all the webshops always have it on backorder by the time Iā€™ve decided to finally get it
  • Mandala - there was a big stack right near the entrance that said ā€œbuy me buy meā€
  • Silver & Gold - because it was small and why not buy 5 games when you already have four in your basket?

I saw boxes of On Mars and Cosmic Duel and soooo many games, I am glad I managed to get out with just these. All in all they were well stocked and from their website I know that with their new delivery service theyā€™ve been able to do enough business during the lockdown to get through this.

PS: Does the rulebook for Welcome To confuse readers on purpose?

5 Likes

I saw this bizarre decision on reddit a while agoā€¦ why!? Is there a slang connotation to WellenlƤnge? More importantly, surely the Germans, of all people, have a word for being on the same wavelength, mentally speaking.

1 Like

The game looks so simpleā€¦ until you open the rulebook. I still have not played the game because Iā€™m convinced the rulebook wants me to feel dumb.

3 Likes

I think youā€™d say ā€œWir sind auf der gleichen WellenlƤngeā€

However, ā€œWellenlƤngeā€ is not a good word. Wavelength sounds nice. WellenlƤnge doesnā€™t. The sound is awkward as a game title.

To me as a German ā€œPerfect Matchā€ sounds like the typical kind of party game that it is. But I still like Wavelength better and if you do have an English title for the game why not keep the original? It took me forever to find the game here because of this mismatchā€¦

And now, I could start a rant of how much I donā€™t like the sound of my German accent and how weird my native language is and how I donā€™t like its sound and how I cannot even think about reading SFF in German becauseā€¦ the language of a few famous poets is not cut out for that. Also English has far more words. Weā€™re just good at concatenating words. (<- not a rant, just a single paragraph)

3 Likes

Interesting! I had a briefly conversation with somebody on reddit about this and the reasoning they guessed at was that Wavelength and Wallenlaenge just donā€™t have a good mouth-feel.

2 Likes

As a frequent player of Welcome To, is not that complicated, although I had seen the review from SUSD before playing it. It is one of those games that makes a lot more sense after one play, and that you can learn easy enough as you play along.
I managed to teach it to my 7 year old daughter and my better half in one game, and by game three they were mastering it and giving me a good run for my money. It does make it to our table very often now.

2 Likes

I have the German version of Silver and Gold too, I just downloaded the English rules and thereā€™s no in-game text. Itā€™s a great game, perfect little filler with some opportunities for tactics.

2 Likes

I studied German for a long time at school, I remember trying to read Goethe and finding it hard going. I think the only German fiction I ever read was Biedermann und die Brandstifter (?)

1 Like

My company gave me an Amazon gift card for 5 years of suffering- ermmm, service.

I bought Kingdom Builder 2nd Edition for free as a result.

I wanna get something else, but paying via Amazon on online stores dont work :frowning:

EDIT: Sorry. I mean, Kingdom Builder Big Box 2nd Edition!

3 Likes

I picked up Skytear this afternoon from a local game shop. The art in this game doesnā€™t appeal at all, which is usually a killer for a minis brawler like this, but the sculpts are actually pretty great, and in the end it was the gameplay that really roped me in.

MOBAs and other real time tactical games donā€™t interest me too much, but the gameplay loop is certainly appealing. Taking that loop and making it turn based is something I can really get behind. There have been a ton of ā€œmobalikesā€ and tower defence games recently, but Skytear managed to stand out to me with its card play and what appears to be a comprehensive but snappy ruleset. Really looking forward to trying it outā€¦ eventually.

[EDIT] Itā€™s worth mentioning the starter box is more compact than I expected (a really odd size actually, never seen these dimensions), and I know the faction packs are tiny as well. This is really appreciated since Iā€™m less likely to need to jump into a storage solution right away. Production quality is simple but very nice. The cards really ought to have been thicker.

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad it wasnā€™t just me that struggled to understand the rule book!

For welcome to that is.

2 Likes

Welp, this happened

10 Likes

Oooh let us know how it goes down. I was torn (hehe) between Skytear and Guardians of Atlantis 2, but GoA just edged it out for me.

3 Likes

GoAII would have probably had a little more appeal, but a friend (and possibly friends) in my immediate gaming circle went all-in on it. I had even considered Cloudspire for a little while just on the strength of its complexity and solo-ability, but decided against it. Iā€™ll definitely make sure to post in the last played game thread once I manage to table it. Hoping to fudge through a 2-handed solo game over the weekend at some point.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also the fact that Skytear is a 2 player game, and GoA requires at least 4 (though I have seen a few people that really love it at 2, thatā€™s not the norm).

2 Likes