Last game you bought?

My partner likes (and generally kicks my butt at) War Chest but I couldn’t get her to buy into U:N. Hopefully you’ll have a little more luck. I’d have loved the excuse to keep it around.

1 Like

Any good reason on choosing one between the pricey 20th Anniversay of Roads & Boats and the original one?

20th Anniversary edition includes the expansion as standard

It’s my least favourite of the big 5. My order would be Indonesia, FCM, Antiquity, The Great Zimbabwe, Roads & Boats. That being said I still really enjoy it. Although colouring my view is I’ve only played 2 player. It’s meant to open up a lot with more players. In fact typing this makes me want to try and organise a game with more than 2 :grimacing:

Just writing on the ‘board’ is wildly entertaining and add in the Splotter levels of interaction and aggression with no mistakes tolerance it’s a wild ride. That being said it’s arguably the Splotter with the least tolerance of errors of all of them. Good luck in your quest

1 Like

I’ve been reading a lot of Splotter game rankings by Splotter fans, and on average, Roads & Boats tends to come after FCM, Indonesia, TGZ, and Antiquity. After Bus too, in most. R&B is on my try list, but I probably wouldn’t buy it at the moment even I found a pristine copy at retail price by some miracle (never happen in Japan).

On the subject of Splotter…

It arrived!

7 Likes

I’m a lucky boy today. I sold my old copy of Macao and treated myself to some things that definitely will get played.

Aeons End Legacy, The New Age expansion, Teotihuacan (finally!) and Cockroach Poker. That ought to ease my new game itch for a while.

8 Likes

Nice! I’m playing Teotihuacan on Board Game Arena right now - making a delicious point salad :grinning:

2 Likes

Procured the first expansion for £30. No interest at all in getting the second one.

Now do I get an insert, or go for the plastic box/foamcore I have combo?

2 Likes

I bought drawstring bags for the different dice colours, and a separate (slightly smaller) bag set for player meeple and starter dice. Much easier set up and tear down than inserts/boxes, easier to get the dice out, easier to pass the dice across the table, and no need to mix dice colours in storage to fit it all in the box. I probably could have used smaller bags all round, but it’s nice to have some rummage room.

Everything else is in baggies, and using the insert that came with the game (I store the starter sets in each player cup - so you can just grab a cup and hand it to the player with everything inside - and it fits fine).

6 Likes

Heffers in Cambridge did a clearance, so I bought Warriors of Middle Earth, Knizia’s Loot Deluxe Tin box, and Biblios. Was tempted on Franchise but I skipped.

Im really enjoying C&C Napoleonics. I do prefer Napoleonic Wars over medieval, antiquity, and WW2. And so far been lucky with some slight discounts for Spanish Army and Austrian Army. Manage to nab Prussian Army on Zatu’s sale.

Got these on the sale too: Big City expansion, Tom Russell’s Northern Pacific, and Knizia’s Tajuto. Tried Tajuto on Essen and I did enjoyed it, unlike Aristocracy

3 Likes

Now theres’s a thought…

I don’t know if there are better stores for bags, but I got mine from https://www.thecleverbaggers.co.uk/ . The bags are cheap, but the postage is quite a lot, so only really worth it when buying for multiple games.

1 Like

Early birthday blitz! Just got home with a pile of sprues of terrain, and the Elites and 2019 Annual books for Kill Team. Lots to keep me busy.

4 Likes

Saw this today.
https://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/unmatched-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-88412-p.asp

4 Likes

Funny enough, my latest and likely last purchase for a while was Unmatched: Cobble and Fog today. So until the Buffy set comes out, I have all the content for it, barring some Bruce Lee promo card.

6 Likes

Still waiting on my Cobble and Fog order from the Mondo store. I’m really in need of a Dracula vs Bruce Lee fight right about now.

3 Likes

Still waiting on jurassic park and Cobble and fog. Sigh.

3 Likes

I bought Tom Russell’s Field of the Cloth of Gold. Pricey for a small box 2 player game, due to it being a small print-run “niche in a niche hobby” But, eh, he sold me with his development diary:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/105690/designer-diary-story-making-field-cloth-gold

1 Like

I believe I’m getting this for my birthday. If it is as good as it potentially could be it’s going to be a hell of a game.

2 Likes

I’ve heard very few things about 1987 Channel Tunnel, but every single one of those things made me more interested in this seldom-mentioned game. Over the last few days, I’ve learned quite a bit more about it. First and foremost: it’s easier to get than I had previously realized.

I’ve been subscribed to this game on BGG for a while now; recently I saw it pop-up on a Denver fleamarket GeekList. Now, keep in mind Denver is a good 8 hour drive, and I’m not likely to make it anytime soon, but I figured at the very least, I have a friend who lives there and could likely act as a middleman if it really came down to it. I sent a friendly GeekMail and had a short conversation with the lister-for-sale; he agreed quite readily to ship it to me for a reasonable fee. I was actually astonished at how economical it all was.

Only after this exchange did I realize I could have paid just slightly more and ordered it from the European publisher (and even be, erroneously, charged VAT for my troubles!) Oh well, had I realized this, I probably would have also grabbed 1920 Wall Street (which has also been on my radar, but with even less coverage).

Regardless, a tiny little package arrived today. I knew this game was small… but I did not expect such a TINY little box! I can literally fit it in my pocket, which is good because I’m running out of boxes to pack boardgames!

The tiny box, the reasonably nice components and a clever little 2-player worker-placement-y mechanism has me smitten.

2 Likes