Last game you bought?

I won a prize. Yay me.

9 Likes

Nice! SHCD is something I keep meaning to finish. A long time ago I soloā€™d the first case, but never checked my solution, as I wanted to run through it again with somebody else, as I thought that would be more fun. Thus it sat for a few years.

Finally played it again at the second SHUX with the friends we were rooming with when we were all back in the hotel room when it wasnā€™t time to turn in yet. We played about half the case that night, and the rest of it the next day on the drive home. One wanted to start up the second case, but the rest of us wanted a break, and we would not have come close to finishing it before the trip was over.

Planned to play the second case with them remotely during the Covid lockdown, but it just didnā€™t happen as we played other games. Wondering if I should go ahead and solo the Jack the Ripper box and just pass that on to my friends to do on their own, while working to finish the original with them at some point.

4 Likes

Because my family knows I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes character, books and setting, I have three SHCD boxes on my shelf that were all gifts. Iā€™ve been reserving them to work through together with my partner, but it seems over the last 2 or 3 years (mainly due to childrens), we never have brainpower to spare at the same moment.

Honestly, I should make an effort to wake up early on a weekend and we can sit and play through a case while we drink our morning coffeeā€¦

6 Likes

I have the first 3 on my shelf awaiting play too. It would have been perfect for my non gamer friends, but we so rarely just hang out in each others houses anymore. The opportunity to play just hadnā€™t come up. Tempted to solo it, but definitely think this is something Iā€™d like to do with others. Hopefully this winter when it stops being kinda cold and starts being proper cold.

3 Likes

Noice!

I cant justify buying this when I havent finished Vol 01 yet

1 Like

Itā€™s gone into the same category as the others did for me: if it pops up in a sale for <Ā£30, Iā€™ll grab it. Iā€™ve got 30 cases to solve before I need this one and it definitely seems like theyā€™re planning to keep the series in print now.

2 Likes

I bought Unmatched: Robin Hood vs Bigfoot. Havenā€™t had a chance to play it yet, but those minis are so beautiful. The art is so good. Iā€™m ready for it.

7 Likes

Someone flagged up 75% off EDGE games at Philibertnet, so I updated my copy of Ra to the new one.

I can sell my old copy to make the money back.

6 Likes

I love a good underdog story, so it was with great excitement that I welcomed two new BGG Auction refugees into my collection today:

• Lord of the Rings Living Card Game - It came with 4 unopened Adventure Decks. Honestly donā€™t know the significance of that yet. Hopefully I enjoy this game; but also hopefully I donā€™t enjoy it so much that I feel compelled to track down all of the expansions. I thought for sure when I learned about Journeys in Middle Earth, that would be what caught me up on this whole Fantasy-Flight-meets-Tolkien thing; but after reading a bit more about JIME, it was LotR:LCG that earned my money. Sadly, I just wonā€™t have time to play this until after the move, so I hope things donā€™t go out of stock too quickly (some of the expansions already look hard to come by; Iā€™m not currently worried about that)

• Firefly The Game - I blame this one on BGGā€™s SGoYT. I love Firefly. My partner loves Firefly; but this never seemed like a game we would ever really be able to sit down and grapple with. If Iā€™m honest, it really seems (to my untrained eye) like Talisman-in-Space. I wrote it off a long time ago as ā€œehh, something Iā€™ll play if someone else brings it to the tableā€. Unfortunately, I started tracking what people on BGG are getting played soloā€¦ and, well, this one crash-landed back on my wishlist. This particular box came bundled with Breakinā€™ Atmo. Much like the one above, Iā€™m not sure how much more content I actually need in order to enjoy this one, so Iā€™m not currently worried about picking up expansions. (Iā€™ll also mention that my partner and I have Brigands & Browncoats awaiting us at some point, but thatā€™s specifically something weā€™ll explore together)

7 Likes

So I bought Fairy Trails based on the single picture I saw on this very forum, and a read around.

Bought it at a keen price from Amazon, and sent it to an Amazon locker that Iā€™m going nowhere near in the next weekā€¦ Maybe a part of my brain told me I didnā€™t want it that much.

3 Likes

My Geekstore order came in, which I noted earlier when I placed it, but Iā€™m reasonably impressed with what I got. If I lived in the US Iā€™d probably use them more often.

My Decrypto interception/miscommunication tokens are great! Not excessively large, but satisfyingly thick and of a good diameter and heft. They arenā€™t even close to ā€œbakelite-likeā€ as they pitch them, but they feel good and the transfers are nice. I also got a promo set of cards for the game by Rob Daviau. There seem to be some special rules, havenā€™t really looked yet.

My bag set for Teotihuacan does exactly what Iā€™d hoped, and so I can still just toss everything back in the box when Iā€™m done, but have nifty bags to keep the random setup down and tile piles outright eliminated. With all the expansion content, however, the bag for the tech tiles is a bit too small, the pyramid tile bag is too big, and Iā€™m left wishing it was a little more comprehensive, as I still needed to ziplock the resources and a few other knickknacks. All in all though, a very worthy upgrade.

4 Likes

I have this too. I love it! The box does become a bit of a mess with all the expansions. I ended up putting all the solo game stuff in the small box expansion to get it out the way and make set up a bit less confusing.

I donā€™t find it to be too bad all in one box, actually. I keep all the boards on the bottom, bagged stuff on top, but aside from that, repacking is pretty mindless. Itā€™s the setup that can be a bear. Iā€™ve played enough now that Iā€™m pretty quick with it, but laying out all the tiles, shuffling, restacking, etc. is a tedious chore, so being able to just blind draw from the bags is gonna be a revelation!

Side bonus: when they came in I got an ā€œooh! Thatā€™d be a fun pick for our weekend game!ā€ out of my partner. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It aint Roads & Boats, but itā€™s a beauty.

Not in shrink but the game is unpunched.

12 Likes

Iā€™m interested in trying that out on slothninja. Also, jealous of your access to a decent second hand market.

3 Likes

My favourite Splotter. Itā€™s soooooo good

1 Like

Used spare cash from my sales to preorder (again) Village Green. A build your own scoring tableau builder.

1 Like

This is the one I really want to try!

2 Likes

Itā€™s by Peer Sylvester so Im curious about that!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll let you know after it arrives and after Iā€™ve played it.

Super Simple looking at the rules but you can back yourself into an unplayable corner which I like too.

Iā€™m also a sucker for themes that havenā€™t been done before

2 Likes