Last game you bought?

For me: I love the idea and the core mechanics, but it’s hard to get to the table and not much fun for the losers. It’s the game I’ve come closest to rebuying even so.

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: There were two copies in the Bring and Buy, both set at 20 quid

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s nuts

The Cult of La Granja is some serious #$@%

Needed that haircut tho
7 Likes

Yeah, that looks fun. Looks like there’s some savings for UK folks on a group buy if anyone is up for it!

Sweet spot seems to be 4 games in terms of postage

1 Like

Im KEEEEN!!

2 Likes

Quick look and it’s £35ish (exact number depends on number of buyers) per of the deluxe edition plus onward postage from my address.

Also happy to add games such as Xylotar and Seers Catalogue. I expect most, if not all of these will hit UK retail eventually, but of it’s anything like Cat in the Box it could be a while.

EDIT: 3-4 games is the sweet spot. after that postage increases

2 Likes

Im guessing Travel Games will have them in stock

2 Likes

Bought Dicke Dämonen

Holy grail filler thats been in my wishlist for a while now

2 Likes

Yeah, this is isn’t going to work. Let myself run away with it.

Will sit and wait for UK availibility

Big purchases at the UKGE, loads of escape room games for my Gloomhaven crew, the others were:
Ketchup Expansion for Food Chain Magnate (I’ve now got FCM, played it a bunch, and got the Ketchup Expansion, all before the late pledge manager has even closed on the reprint).
Age of Innovation
Beyond the Sun

Three heavy Euros after loudly declaring I was done with Euros to everyone within earshot.

8 Likes

(FCM isn’t a Euro tho)

3 Likes

At least, you’re playing one of the best. I did the same and I bought AoI and played it 4 times recently!

2 Likes

I love to see this. And I wonder if you would like to go into detail.

Mostly, if not entirely, because I’m starting to think that “euro” is a term that means less each successive year.

I have my own opinions why FCM is not a euro; but I find myself repeatedly at the boundary of “I don’t think I need euros”. And I want to explore the boundary more

2 Likes

I think Euro games (now, mostly) follow a design philosophy that German designers pioneered, where every player gets to play the whole game and optimise their bit of it, with a varying amount of mostly not-too-antagonistic interaction. Ideally, at the end of the game, you all tally your points to see who won.*

FCM has more aggressive interaction and no guardrails, a player can easily be effectively eliminated through bad play or being outplayed, and the winner can be decided at any point during the arc of the game, all of which seems quite contrary to (what I think is) core Euro design philosophy.

(* There’s more, but I’m just highlighting the bits that contrast with FCM.)

6 Likes

Hoo boy, the ‘What is a Euro’ topic.

Are we old school, that did feature lots of on board interaction between players or old school that is a optimisation puzzle?

Either way FCM aint one.

2 Likes

Does ‘euro’ really mean anything any more?

I reckon if it feels like a euro then it’s a euro.
But it’s totally subjective, and they’re all just games really.

3 Likes

I just bought Marrakesh (essential edition). I think this is a euro. (Although it certainly didn’t cost a Euro!)

I’m mostly excited by it. It looks like Trajan but the action selection seems less of a stress and there’s almost no “majority” type interaction. The interaction is mostly through a draft fight and pinching items in the shop (but I think even this is softened by people desiring distinct objects).

3 Likes

“Euro” has definitely evolved over the decades. What it meant in the nineties and what it means now are pretty different.

I think since Settlers the industry has moved toward a hybrid model, taking the best of both old worlds. What is left as “pure euro” has moved to the end of the old spectrum.

That’s why we say “old school Euro” to refer to something like Troyes or even El Grande, to accentuate the distinction between those and games like (insert Suchy or Tascini).

FCM strikes me as a true hybrid. Powerful theme dictating some mechanics and presence of some zero sum conflict, but also win by maximizing an engine that could be abstracted, rather than by fighting and reducing your opponent to nothing.

3 Likes

I overheard someone at Expo saying “after the Second World War, see, the Germans didn’t want games with conflict” and I can’t say they’re entirely wrong but…

3 Likes