Last game you bought?

Now I want to combine these to play Lunar Bacon. (Pigs in Space, anyone?)

3 Likes

Bacon is in alpha on BGA. Not sure how it would hold up async but would give it a whirl if anyone is keen to play. Hopefully my physical copy should be here by the weekend

1 Like

Found Raider of Scythia at a consignment sale for $10, so it went home with me. Opening it, I find it is unpunched, and the cards still in shrink!

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been not buying Scout because itā€™s kinda expensive here, but it was there in my FLGS when I popped in to pick up a copy of Regicide as a present, and I gave in to the temptation. Could someone remind me what Scountā€™s correct/incorrect player count(s) are? :). (I seem to remember something being either very good or very bad.)

BGG suggests 4 > 5 > 3, and that 2 is basically a bad idea.

There are two-player variant rules on which opinion is very divided; I havenā€™t tried them.

Iā€™ve been very happy with 4 and 5, 3 is a bit too prone to ā€œthat act circled the table and now the round is overā€ for my taste.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a 4 to 5 player only. Agree with Roger that the 3 player is too small. If Player B scouted, then C MUST play otherwise A wins.

3 Likes

I would say 4 is definitely best - 5 seems to drag just a little bit.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve played with three and I quite liked it. Not the most strategic player count though, and I think enjoyment depends on how likely you are to find getting a bad hand funny Vs frustrating

4 Likes

I just got a copy of Iwari. This has been on my ā€œinterested inā€ list for a long time.

Decide to take the plunge when I needed a bit of a retail therapy boost.

7 Likes

2 and 4 are the ā€œcorrectā€ player counts. 3 is wonky as you are forced to show if the person to your right scouts. 5 is ok if everyone knows what they are doing and plays quickly.

The 2-player game is significantly different from the 3-5 player game. Roger notes that opinion is divided, but Iā€™m going to hazard that the real issue is that the 2-player rules are very poorly translated and how people play is very divided.

Thereā€™s a thread on BGG where the English, French, and German players all compared translations to triangulate on the actual 2-player rules, and eventually the publisher weighed in. Rules as written (in Japanese) sing.

3 Likes

I have a family beach vacation coming up. My husbandā€™s brother and sister-in-law love playing heavy strategy games with us but my mother-in-law has recently complained that we should only play games everyone can play, even though we only dive into the heavier games when everyone else is occupied and weā€™ve checked that no one wants to play anything. To try to find common ground, Iā€™ve been stocking up on lighter games that play lots of people. Just picked up 6 Nimmt!, No Thanks, and Hues & Cues for beach week. Thereā€™s still time so feel free to give me suggestions of other things to take.

5 Likes

I personally prefer Ethnos but Archeos Society is lighter and more readily available, plays 2-6 well.

Sushi Go Party came up on my filters. Itā€™s been too long since Iā€™ve played that one!

Camel Up 2e, definitely. More accessible than Long Shot.

Soda Smugglers (Knizia) is a quick take on the model that also spawned Sheriff of Nottingham.

Bohnanza. Ra (hmm, only plays 5). Incan Gold. Condottiere.

Libertalia or Mission: Red Planet for a little more beef on the bones but still clipping at 6.

Sidereal Confluence, of course.

4 Likes

ā€œThatā€™s not a hatā€ is funny. Iā€™d suggest an unlock or exit but really that has a secret player cap but maybe one of the Rita Orlov ones will have a bit more heft and coziness for a larger group?

4 Likes

Does this have the ā€œcorrectā€ rules for 2p?

3 Likes

Yes. With an additional clarification i didnt know about! Glad someone did the consolidating work.

3 Likes

I second ā€œThatā€™s not a hatā€ as @mistercrayon said. it is most definitely going to our beach week in May.
How about Just One? Itā€™s all ages great fun whenever we play.

Hive for playing right on the beach?

4 Likes

Blame @Acacia for this. Itā€™s an absolute beauty though. Chock full of expansion goodness apparently

10 Likes

Just reading the rules- you can use a dice to play a card!

3 Likes

A 2 isnā€™t it?

2 Likes

Nothing like a real picture to get a real sense of the box size!

I prefer the design of the original, including a box 1/4 the size. I bought little rubber bumpers to stick under the player board for purposes of card tucking.

Stillā€¦I wantā€¦ the modulesā€¦

And the properly slotted player boards. Canā€™t have it all.

1 Like