Last game you bought?

Tipperary looks like a tiny planet unknown in some ways - mixed with Kingdomino.

Is it any good?

3 Likes

well having played about 1.5 times I would agree to the mechanism genetics.
I enjoyed it. Complexity is more like Kingdomino. And it is just 12 rounds so pretty quick. I am not sure it has the longevity of something like Carcassonne. It lacks interaction and that impedes that aspect IMO. But it is just the kind of filler that might hit the table when you need something light and it plays 5.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve had my eye on it but. The bit of me that sees the dna makes me think - do I really want this? The fun spinner seems to be a cool thing about it (the physicality and the randomness) but it has t been enough for me to pull the trigger.

3 Likes

I lost my patience. I caved and bought People Power: Insurgency in the Philippines from Philibert. Leisure Games said they ran out of stock, and I canā€™t wait for the lower price tag from Zatu. My repeated plays of Cuba Libre and having a lot of fun with it defo heavily influenced me.

I also bought:

• Candy Chasers
  • Titans
  • Dice Realms - by Tom Lehman for really good 2nd hand price. Iā€™ll keep my expectations low because I usually not a fan of his dice games
  • Revolution! by Steve Jackson, to differentiate it from other games titled Revolution
8 Likes

Iā€™m very happy to be a guinea pig for titans. When it arrives Iā€™d like to play

4 Likes

I really like Dice Realms. I hope you enjoy it! Iā€™d recommend finding something nice to roll the dice in (if you donā€™t have anything then the box lid works). Itā€™s basically a deck builder but with extra physicality so itā€™s worth leaning into that part of the experience in my view and chucking them dice hard is a fun way of doing it.

4 Likes

After not very much buying at all over the last 6 months or so, I finally bought something.

Mists over Carcassonne.

Which I boughtā€¦ in Carcassonne.

11 Likes

I hope it was misty on the day you bought it?

4 Likes

I bought Ducks in Tow, which is a game I nearly Kickstarted but didnā€™t. Itā€™s a game about making friends with ducks, which seemed cute enough to give it a try :duck:

4 Likes

After resisting bravely my husband caved and bought another massive train game: Imperial Steam

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never bought a game from The Game Crafter before but I saw this

And it seemed like a cool solo game - small, low set up, ease of automation and challenge.

4 Likes

Big haul.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: That looks like a lot of games.

That isnā€™t a question.

Q: OK. Is that a lot of games?

Well, thereā€™s 12 items. Four expansions and storage solution. That leaves 7 games.

Q: Is seven a lot of games? For someone who plays less than once a month?

OK, yes.

Q: Can you walk me through this fish market of cardboard?

Certainly! Most of these were already reported further up the thread ā€“ previously bought and recently shipped. A few net new here, Curious Cargo, Glass Road, and Kanban EV.

Q: Do you have a plan to play these?

Well, as you know, most games have a solo component these days. Mind MGMT, Kanban, 51st State, and Glass Road should all get on the table in my personal time pretty near term. Glass Road is short enough that it could come out on a weekend afternoon, though Nusfjord is likely to get that slot first.

Q: And Scout should be easy.

Yes, Scout seems easy to play almost anywhere with anyone. Iā€™ve already had a few occasions to play before it arrived; Iā€™m sure another will come up.

Q: What about Curious Cargo?

Yes, I got Curious Cargo.

Q: No, is there any possibility of playing it in the next 12 months?

It was about $19, if youā€™d believe it. Though I havenā€™t played Pipeline yet.

Q: Will you ever play it?

The box! Itā€™s so small!

Q: OK, Iā€™ll drop it. What excites you here, now that itā€™s arrived?

Fresh out of the box, Glass Road. Thereā€™s a bit of pique from buying a game on reputation rather than research. But also the art and the buildings latch onto the warm fuzzies I have from Arle and Nusfjord. Thereā€™s a building that gives me 7 wood. SEVEN WOOD! All at once! What am I going to do with it? I donā€™t know. Build a fishing hut? A bakerā€™s workshop? I can make CHARCOAL for frackā€™s sake. I am the dog to Uweā€™s Pavlov and Iā€™m drooling at charcoal conversion mechanics. The card mechanic (Glass Road is always ā€œThe one with the card mechanicā€) sounds exciting too, now that I actually know what it is.

Q: Now walk me through these expansions.

True to form, they all add solo. Except Kanban Speedcharger. I wish solo wasnā€™t such a big deal but it is this season. Beyond the Sun has a few modules, the eponymous Leaders, more factions, new tech cards, re-balanced cards from the original game, and, of course, a solo mode.

Furnace Interbellum may be one of the most exciting finds. My initial review of Furnace was ā€œawesome auction, boring deck.ā€ It was hard to compare to Res Arcana as Furnaceā€™s core conceit, the auction, was SO GOOD. But Res Arcana had such interesting cards. Now, beyond solo, F:Ib doubles the size of the deck and is nothing but new mechanics. Instant effects, passive effects, modular chits you can bolt onto other cards, accumulation cards, etc. Super jazzed about this one.

GAH: Letā€™s Waltz is a Taverns of Tiefenthal type thing, 6 modular expansions in one box. Three of them add new wrinkles and complexity to the game. One is just more variety for the base game. One is an alternative player order to make 3 and 4-player games more palatable. And the last is, of course, solo.

Q: Is it sad that this industry, which used to counter video games by being a social, interactive medium, is now so focused on solo modes in every box?

Yes?

Q: Does that make your life sad?

No. Gaming life yes. Life life no. And these bloated collections are all about hope, the promise of a ā€œtomorrowā€ we havenā€™t found our way to yet. All you out there with svelte collections youā€™ve played and sorted are living our dream.

Q: What is least exciting, now that it has arrived?

Probably Mind MGMT. I have Jaws, Nuns on the Run, and Whitehall Mystery. I donā€™t need more hidden movement. There is always chatter about this, and a sale price, and the solo mode was appealing, but I donā€™t think this is going to be a centerpiece of my collection. Weā€™ll see.

Also Beyond the Sun. I love more factions and the solo was enticing, as a chance to play a great game more frequently. But the reviews have said the modules are meh and even that the fan-solo-modes on BGG are better than the official one.

Q: Oh, and we havenā€™t touched on Tzolkā€™in.

ā€¦

Q: That doesnā€™t have solo. And itā€™s not short. Is that ever getting played?

Iā€™m playing on BGA right now.

Q: Which doesnā€™t require this box.

Which doesnā€™t require this box.

Q: That was an impulse, wasnā€™t it?

Look. Itā€™s a stone cold classic. Whether itā€™s one year, five years, or twenty years from now itā€™s going to be exciting to pull that off the shelf.

Q: You recently bought Teotihuacan. How many circular, meso-american euros is this for you, now?

Two.

Q: How many circular, meso-american euros does a person need?

ā€¦ Two.

Note from the editor:
In fantastic news, both Pipeline and Curious Cargo actually have excellent solo modes. Pipelineā€™s is fan made but noted and endorsed by Courtney. Courtney actually developed the CC one and itā€™s with the publisher, but has not gone to the printer probably due to lack of forecasted demand.

Looks like these will get to the table after all!

18 Likes

In case it helps, we have both Teotihuacan and Tzolkā€™in, and I donā€™t think theyā€™re very similar at all :wink:

5 Likes

I forgot the most important question:
Q: Did your spouse see this box arrive

No.

No. It was rapidly opened and split into five piles strategically distributed around the house so that most looked like theyā€™d already been there for a while.

The expansions were rapidly integrated and discarded.

11 Likes

So small! I didnā€™t know it was so small. I believe I was very intrigued by a review of this. And itā€™s about $19. And the box! Itā€™s so small!

4 Likes

Got Palaces of Carrara and because Iā€™m that sort of person, the Spanish edition of Hollywood Golden Age by Dr. Knizia.

Features actual Golden age personalities rather than off brand parodies

3 Likes

Beautiful! Im reading through the cards and I can understand the references. :grin:

9 Likes

and Earthborne Rangers arrived. Yay.

9 Likes

In its effort to be eco-friendly, the game was not transported by a vehicle, but instead carried on donkey-back throughout the continent. Thatā€™s why it was so late! :wink:

5 Likes

no no. I just figured out why it got here on August 2, 2023. I backed the Kickstarter on August 2, 2021 :slight_smile:

I managed to play the tutorial / intro last night and made a deck and hope to play the first ā€žDayā€œ sometime tonight or maybe tomorrow.

5 Likes