Last game you bought?

I’m a [redacted] for Agricola.

I now have E, I, K, Wm, Fr, A, B, and C. I’m considering buying Revised base game to get the rest of A and B and have consistent tiles to play with those decks. I don’t know what I’m doing. I literally don’t.

Also went to a used bookstore and found Flipships for $21. SUSD said, years ago, that it was a fun but hard dexerity game and it’s gorgeous so we’ll give it a try. Looks like the open market is running around $45 so zero stakes if it’s not a hit.

Lastly, that same store also had Space Empires 4x. This is not a game I’d been eyeing, but it is a recent addition to BGA and I’m always keeping an eye on highly rated, under played games on there. I’d been curious. They were selling it for $51 and a quick search showed about $100 at Noble Knight and $200 at Amazon, so everything happened quickly after that.

Once I got home and further researched I saw that the game has five printings, with updated rules and components, and BGG is actually selling like new copies for $35 plus shipping. Felt like a fool.

Turns out my copy is third printing, which has the good components and better rules (sans errata from 4th and 5th). While it’s only a 3.3 complexity per BGG it has a 40 page GMT manual with a table of contents and index. I don’t know, we’ll see. One of those impulse things that just happens to us from time to time.

7 Likes

St Patrick - It is:

• trick taking
  • designed by Haig Tahta (co-designed Senators with Rikki Tahta)
  • Celtic theme

This game is made for me. It’s like Brian Boru all over again

Also, bought Evolution: New World + Butterfly Effect expansion. This is based on the original Evolutions, rather than the one by North Star Games.

6 Likes

The Unquiet Dead faction for Wildlands arrived. It was the only thing I could think of to grab from Book Depository before they closed. Previously I would have just waited for the next good sale from Osprey, but they have completely revamped* their online shop and I believe (sadly) that the cheap-or-free shipping on their games is now a thing of the past; so I decided that this was probably my best option for picking up TUD if I was ever going to.

So that adds another bunch of minis to this lot.

(*) Terribly. They emailed me to tell me to check out their new site, and when I did it was broken, and it remained broken for weeks. I can’t recall ever seeing a web site launch going as poorly as that.

3 Likes

This is going to put my ‘don’t buy any more games’ plan under some strain…

5 Likes

This arrived this morning. Got it for a crazy price (£31, posted). I’m sure that doesn’t cover the cost of production.

It’s from 365games who definitely used to be reputable. It’s brand new.

I’m a fan of Blood Rage and enjoyed my single, TTS play of Rising Sun. I think the merge sounds cool.

Don’t like buying things just because they’re cheap, but I was looking at this for over a hundred quid and nearly jumped on when I saw it for £60.

13 Likes

Wait, I’m confused. There’s different evolutions??? I thought they were all variants of the same thing?

3 Likes

They started at the same place but have gone off and developed in different directions. Which is not inappropriate really.
This is a new version of the original one. The North Star one was based on that, but went off differently, and has since spawned its own offshoots…

7 Likes

And I’ve just seen there’s a Kickstarter coming for another version based on New World called Another World, which may sound like it is compatible with that game, but is not.

Who is buying all these games?!?

1 Like

Who’s buying all these games?

If I’m not careful, me…!

4 Likes

Here is a link to a BGG post where Sebastian outlines the context and processes behind the design of his game, in case anyone is interested.

4 Likes

*I forgot to put March of the Ants

13 Likes

This has arrived, courtesy of the delightful @lalunaverde .

It’s beautiful

2 Likes

Bios games count as Evolution games??? THIS ISN’T HELPING MY CONFUSION :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

The have 4 18XX for a reasonable price. I’d buy them but then I’d only play these with people that own them already

1 Like

No. I just put all of these evolution-themed games together. You see I have Dominant Species as well

2 Likes

Note to self: don’t show this to my husband :steam_locomotive:

3 Likes

Reading on BGG, some people have had bad experiences. I’d definitely use PayPal or a credit card to get buyer protection

I’d agree with that. Had a game delivered in black wrap and nothing else once.

1 Like

It’s been a long day (of gaming!), but I was listening to a SVWAG podcast on the way over, and made a mental note to check on a bizzare sounding game. The game was Piazza Rabazza, and it sounded awesome. There’s nothing like a dopey dexterity game to break up the day. The game involves delivering pizzas while the town itself is shaking. And it has magnets. So, yeah, I bought it.

2 Likes

After a so-so experience with giant monsters fighting (Godzilla: Tokyo Clash), I thought aboout how fun King of Tokyo was (I used to own it). So, ended up buying King of New York.

5 Likes